I have been a Blackberry user for the past couple of years. I currently own a 8310, 8320 & 9000 devices. I am looking for a reliable device without a camera to serve as a back-up to my Bold that I normally use.

I have found the Blackberry 8707V available at a reasonable price which will serve my needs. I like the fact that it is 3G capable. My main concern are the applications available for it. When compared to the Bold, what does it not have?

I am mostly looking for something to conduct business via email & SMS but would also like it for Blackberry Instant Messenger too.

Any advice or feedback would greatly be appreciated.
    01-28-09 10:30 PM
    You can't use 3G in the US, can you?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-09 11:28 AM
    I have been using 3G for a while now. Why would I not be able to?

01-29-09 11:35 AM
    3G on the 8707 does not work with AT&T's 3G in the US. It only works with Asian/European 3G because it only has the 2100 MHz band for 3G.
    01-29-09 02:29 PM
    Thanks for the info godzilla.
    Maybe I read the specs wrong on the device.
    Tigerdirect was one of the retailers selling the unlocked 8707v. If I can find the link, I will post it. If you get a chance, maybe you could check it out & offer your opinion.
    Thanks again

01-30-09 12:06 AM
    Maybe I am missing something...

The device is advertised as a quad band GSM device compatible with the US GSM networks including 3G.

I've included the link below for you guys to check out if you get a chance. Once again, I appreciate your time & feedback.

Blackberry 8707V Unlocked GSM PDA Cell Phone - Quad-Band, 3G, Bluetooth, QWERTY Keyboard at TigerDirect.com
    01-30-09 02:54 PM
    After doing some more research on this model, I'm not sure it is the right device for me. I think that I may be better off with a 8820 as it offers wifi but still does not have a camera.

I do appreciate all of your feedback and help.

8707V supported frequencies:
    2100 MHz UMTS networks
    North America: 850 MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    North America: 1900MHz GSM�/GPRS networks
    Europe/Asia Pacific: 1800MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Europe/Asia Pacific: 900MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    01-31-09 12:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD