Hi--total noob so forgive the sins of "this has been asked before," but a few questions:

1. Bought a used Cingular 8700 off ebay. Having a hard time getting an unlock code to use it on TMobile. Two online vendors couldn't get a code for it. Suggestions?

2. Does it being originally a Cingular phone make it an 8700c? What does the letter designation mean?

3. Is there a workaround on the unlock code, perhaps by installing the TMobile operating system on it? Or, if I tried that, will the phone start smoking and be unuseable?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/information.
    Last edited by No.153; 09-20-08 at 11:30 PM.
    09-20-08 09:32 PM
    No thoughts/opinions?
    09-22-08 12:28 PM
    Try this for unlocking GSM PhoneSource - When Only The Best Will Do

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-08 12:35 PM
    Well, major problem solved--called AT&T customer service, and after a few days got the unlock code, free. Phone successfully unlocked on the first try. Now, the remaining question about the T-mobile operating system: is there anything that will get fouled up if I install the T-mobile software for the 8700?

Thanks in advance!
    09-24-08 05:23 PM
    I was in same boat as you. AT&T BB going to use on T-Mobile...Well, I started w/ the OS you can get for the 8700g off the T-Mobile site...but I "upgraded" to vers 4.2.1.107, which is a hair newer than T-Mobiles..and I have no issues. ive also asked if you can upgrade to the latest OS and the general concensus is yes, "you BB will thank you" was how it was told to me. And if anything happens there's plenty of support here. Just follow directions carefully.
    09-27-08 07:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD