I just noticed that a lot of people in the public eye have been seen with 8700's lately- after seeing prior pics of them with either a curve or an 8800. I work in midtown manhattan and sort of noticed this as well with some of my clients. Just thought I'd share with those of you contemplating on "upgrading". I"ve always said that the trackwheel and fully spaced qwerty are the killer factors here. It's tough to turn your back on something that just works so well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-07 07:57 PM
    I came over from a 8703e and swore that I'd never touch a trackball device. I even started a small stash of 8703e's as backups so I wouldn't need to get a trackball device. But after using the Curve, I won't switch to anything other then that. I picked up a 8800 when I switched over to AT&T because they were out of the 8300 Curve but got a used Curve off here. I like the spacing of the keys and the trackball.

From what I'm hearing from my contacts, some of the guys in the "public eye" are switching because they are afraid of the camera's on the Curves and what can happen if the pictures fall in the wrong hands.
    10-24-07 08:25 PM
    i have a bb 8700 for my personal use and my company gave me the bb curve. i use the curve for nothing other than to view emails. i LOVE my bb 8700. hoping they never discontinue.
    10-25-07 01:43 PM

From what I'm hearing from my contacts, some of the guys in the "public eye" are switching because they are afraid of the camera's on the Curves and what can happen if the pictures fall in the wrong hands.

YOu'd think John they would have more self control if they cont want pictures going walkabouts....
    10-25-07 02:34 PM
    There was nothing at all wrong with my 8703. I was just being a little kid getting the Curve because I thought the trackball would light different colors, I liked the media player, and I wanted a camera. The Curve is cool but my 8703's tough outer shell and keypad were perfect.
    10-25-07 02:37 PM
    I still have my VZW 8703e and 7250 on the shelf at home collecting dust. Until someone makes me a good enough offer on the 8703e, it'll continue to sit there. I have no plans on going back to the 8700 series at all and you couldn't pay me to use a Pearl.
    10-25-07 03:19 PM
    ^ I'm confused, what are you using then?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-07 04:34 PM
    See above, I'm using a 8300 Curve
    10-25-07 05:03 PM
    I upgraded from a 7250 to an 8830 and the new BB is waaaaay better than the old one. I wasn't sure I would like the trackball, but I don't think I ever want to go back to the trackwheel. The keyboard did take a little getting used to because of the closer proximity of the keys, but I'm now an old pro on it. Just my two cents.
    10-25-07 05:22 PM
    I think all this is a matter of preference. I've owned the Pearl, 8800, 8300, 8320 (just wanted a different color and the 8300 got dust in it), 8703, and now the 8700g. They're all fine phones but my wife and I prefer the size of the 8700 series because they're a little easier to hold when doing e-mail all day... again, just personal preference.

I like the look and feel of the Curve a lot, but for normal everyday use the 8700 series is fine. I really don't need pictures or media, but some people prefer it. It looks like RIM is going to ditch the trackwheel for good as all their newer models have trackballs on them. If this is the case, I hope they don't stop producing the 8700 series for the people who prefer them over everything else.
    11-03-07 11:40 PM
    i must say, i love my bb 8700g, the trackwheel is so convenient, and iv'e only been a bb owner for about a month and a half. i tried the curve [borrowed it from a pal]. it doesnt seem to be sturdy like the 8700g. i mean it kinda reminds me of a certain blade phone when comepard to the 8700g. i guess thats its main selling point.

so what if it [8700g] doesnt have a camera [ i already have a 6 mpx kodak], so what if it doesnt have a media player [ i already have an ipod].

i love my 8700g.

again... like most said, its personal preference! LOL
    11-04-07 08:13 PM
    Uhm ok!
    I had a trackwheel on my last phone and after seeing the trackball I didnt think I would get the hang of it but its cool and I love it now!!!
    The camera is very handy!!! OH boy and video would be even better on my trips to Wally World! Lol!!
    11-04-07 09:22 PM
    the 8700 is gonna be the new 7290 now that there discontinued its a solid phone i use it and have no complaints other than memory but its the last true business blackberry now there moving more towards the personal crowd with the media options and cameras
    11-23-07 11:11 AM
    I've had my eye on the 8700g for quite some time but finally settled on the Curve. I just did not want to worry about hitting it on any unsuspecting person or objects. I decided to go with the Curve with the notion of being able to carry it in my pocket.
    11-23-07 06:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD