Bought a used 8700c on ebay and like it a lot - except the battery life, or lack of it seems ridiculous.

As supplied it would only hold a charge for 7 or 8 hours, and would even lose two bars from the battery indicator when switched off overnight! So I ordered a new RIM original battery from crackberry.com. Now it lasts maybe 10 hours of hardly any use - checking email once an hour or so, a couple of 1 or 2 minute calls, and a couple of text messages.

I've gone through the settings: backlighting is at 70% and goes off after 30 seconds; bluetooth is disabled; there's no WiFi on this model. Am I missing something, or could there be a hardware fault that drains the battery? I don't have a RIM original charger, only a no-name travel charger from somewhere like Radio Shack, but after about three hours the BB indicates it is fully charged so surely that can't be the problem?

Would really appreciate advice as I like this 8700 a lot (it's the only BB keypad my thumbs seem to be able to deal with) and would like to keep it, but gotta get more than 10 hours out of a full, brand new battery.
    03-27-09 12:11 PM
    i know with mine i get maybe one day of use out of it before i have to pulg it in
    03-27-09 11:44 PM
    Thanks for the reply, RentaMedic. Having to charge twice a day on very little use, and losing charge overnight when switched off seem like something's really wrong.

However I have had a reply from the seller who is sending a new charger, believing that might be the problem, and if that doesn't help is willing to take the BB back for refund or replacement. So there should be a happy ending eventually. I really like this 8700 if I didn't have the battery issue.

If the charger switch works, I'll let you know.

Thanks again
    03-29-09 03:47 PM
    I keep mine on charge all the time never an issue.
    03-29-09 07:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD