Hi all,

I have an 8703e from Aliant (which is similar to Bell, but for us Eastern Canadians!)

The OS is 4.1.0.377, which I don't believe is the most up-to-date. However, Aliant says it is not their responsibility to provide me with up-to-date software, so I really have no idea how to go about upgrading. Seriously, they refer me to the SALESPERSON, who of course has no idea. Aliant has been absolutely useless.

I have searched the forums, but this is all new to me and I want to be absolutely certain I am not going to break anything because my BB is only a few weeks old and it's already my lifeline!!

Any advice?

Cheers,

nichole
    Last edited by nichole.tiffany; 01-26-08 at 01:34 PM.
    01-26-08 01:22 PM
    You can download and install OS 4.2 on your 8703e!

Like you, I wanted to upgrade my OS from 4.1 to 4.2 but my carrier (Telus Mobility) would not confirm or deny the existence of the new operating system. Telus released the new OS late last year which I downloaded the installed on my 8703e.

I would suggest you conduct a search for 4.2 OS for 8703e in this tread to find where you can download and install new OS.

Pierre
    01-27-08 09:26 PM
    I wouldn't do it. I upgraded my OS and my phone has gotten slow and now I have emails disappearing.
    01-27-08 09:58 PM
    I agree with DiverSpear that since installing ther 4.2 OS, my 8703e has slowed a bit but not to a point where I would reinstall OS 4.1 in order to make it faster.

I have found the new look and feel of the desktop and new functionality outweigh reverting back to an older OS.

Also, I have not experienced the disappearance of emails unless of course I manually delete them. In my case, if I receive a large amount of emails which do not require my immediate attention, I will delete them from my bb and therefore I can read them directly from my computer. That way, the amount of emails on my bb is kept to a minimum.

Pierre
    01-28-08 10:30 PM
    I have a 8703e as we'll and I would suggest making sure the new os is for your carrier, even though the model is the same not all os work for all carriers., https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...UbH6pGR5R8Dg** you can find the right carrier supported os at blackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-08 11:06 PM
    That link doesn't seem to work....
    01-31-08 10:14 AM
    I have a Sprint phone and I installed the Verizon 4.2.1.106 OS. There is a post somewhere around here that gave instructions on deleting the carrier information. I keep checking to see if I can find it again.
    02-01-08 04:27 PM
    Nicole,
    Here is the information that I was talking about in case you haven't found it yet.

you can use another carrier's OS for the 8703 4.2.1.106

http://download.vzwshop.com/vzw/blac...A4.2.1.106.exe

Remember, locate the vendor.xml file and delete it. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    02-10-08 07:07 AM
    nicole I am also with Aliant and I upgrade my OS yesterday. So far no problems other than getting use to the new OS. It does however slow down the performance but I think the new features are well worth it.
    02-21-08 09:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD