I have been an avid Boostberry user for a few years already , and I love my phone .
    However , I just obtained a Blackberry 8700c ( At&t/ cingular or whatever name it is that they are using now adays , lol) ...

I am interested in getting a "go phone" and just using that chip inside of the blackberry. I just have a few questions in regards to it . Any help that you guys can offer me would be greatly appreciated .

1. If I get a "go phone" and just put the chip inside of the Blackberry , will I be able to use the phone ? I know some of the functionality won't be there ( i.e mms , media net , etc ) .

2. If I install opera / gmail , will there be any charges incurred for use ?

3. If a tree falls in the forest , and no one is around to to hear it fall , does it make a sound ?
    07-21-08 08:56 AM
    1. you can use the blackberry for the go phone. i believe verizon is the only where you need the data plan.
    2. I do believe since you dont any data plan.
    3.it depends where it fell
    07-21-08 12:40 PM
    1. you can use the blackberry for the go phone. i believe verizon is the only where you need the data plan.
    2. I do believe since you dont any data plan.
    3.it depends where it fell

Gotcha ... as for the data plan .. I am a boost customer but am using a Blackberry 7520 . Since I cant use the default browser , I subsituted it for Opera 4.1 and use that instead . I am hoping that I can do the same with the 8700 .. I just want to be able to check my gmail and do some web browsing , if I can do that , then I'll be good ...
    07-21-08 02:37 PM
    I have the 8700C with a Pay as you Go Plan. I paid the 19.99 to get the unlimited media net for one month. I can access the Internet through Opera 3.1 with no issues. However, I was not able to download anything OTA as that tries to use the Blackberry Browser which cannot use Media Net.

There is a hack on these forums that discusses modifying the Service Books for the Browser Configuration so that it uses TCP/IP rather than the BIS to browse. I was able to apply that hack and can now use the Browser to browse the internet as well as download and install OTA applications.

So in short, it does work, Opera works, and if you want the full thing to work it will take you a little time but you can get it to work.

Harry
    07-21-08 05:20 PM
    I have the 8700C with a Pay as you Go Plan. I paid the 19.99 to get the unlimited media net for one month. I can access the Internet through Opera 3.1 with no issues. However, I was not able to download anything OTA as that tries to use the Blackberry Browser which cannot use Media Net.

There is a hack on these forums that discusses modifying the Service Books for the Browser Configuration so that it uses TCP/IP rather than the BIS to browse. I was able to apply that hack and can now use the Browser to browse the internet as well as download and install OTA applications.

So in short, it does work, Opera works, and if you want the full thing to work it will take you a little time but you can get it to work.

Harry
    So are you saying that in order for opera browser to work i need to have the unlimited media.net plan ?
    07-21-08 08:22 PM
    So are you saying that in order for opera browser to work i need to have the unlimited media.net plan ?
    Well, you need some data plan, whether you want to pay per KB or get an unlimited plan is up to you. The opera browser works fine with Media Net. By default the Blackberry Browser will not work with Media Net though, which means no over the air downloads and installs as those will trigger the Blackberry Browser.

If you are going to use your Opera then you may still consider the hack that was explained previously just to get your Blackberry Browser to work with Media Net. That will give you the ability to have over the air downloads (for installing things like Google Maps for example). And if you wanted you would not need to use Opera.

One thing I did have to change though was in my TCP settings under Advanced options was entering in the standard apn username of wap.cingular and the username / password. That got opera to work.
    07-22-08 01:49 AM

Harry

Alright .. So I have phone in hand , and I went out , got the chip , yara , yara ... I just put a basic $15 card o nthe phone just to give it a test drive . I can see so far that the text messagin works , and I get the " Data Connection Refused" on the top of the phone . ( and please forgive my ignorance , just trying to learn lol) . I saw the unlimited media card you were talking about in a store ( yesterday actually ) . It was 19.99 . So you are saying that if I pay the 19.99 , that should cover my data use . What won't I be able to do ( aside from ota downloads)
    08-06-08 08:42 AM
    Alright .. So I have phone in hand , and I went out , got the chip , yara , yara ... I just put a basic $15 card o nthe phone just to give it a test drive . I can see so far that the text messagin works , and I get the " Data Connection Refused" on the top of the phone . ( and please forgive my ignorance , just trying to learn lol) . I saw the unlimited media card you were talking about in a store ( yesterday actually ) . It was 19.99 . So you are saying that if I pay the 19.99 , that should cover my data use . What won't I be able to do ( aside from ota downloads)
    Unless you go through the hack described on in the thread (do a search for howto semi ota installs opera) you won't get anything with the Blackberry. Once you hack the Blackberry so that the Blackberry browser works using standard TCP/IP then pretty much everything works. Google Maps works, over the air downloads work, the Blackberry browser works, I suppose anythng using TCP/IP would work. Plan on spending at least two hours going through those instructions though as they were wrong when I first went through them and had to putz around to get it to work. I wrote up my own brief overview of what I did on that site as well.
    08-28-08 04:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD