I have had my 8700R for about a year now. I typically use it all day, then plug it in at night (regardless of how much juice is left on the indicator) and unplug it the next morning.

I think that's been a solid habit since I have never had the thing go dead on me during regular daytime use. But over the past week, I've noticed the battery is hitting low power by evenings - to the point where the dreaded yellow low battery indicator light is coming on. I HAVE been playing more games lately on it, but I'm starting to think the battery drainage is more due to old age than to too much daytime use.

So what's the verdict based on experience? Expect to replace the battery annually? Is it good for only 365 recharges? I thought it I read a long time back that is should be good for 1,000???
    02-23-07 11:08 AM
    Hope it comes back to life....Heard you can out them in the freezer and it revamps them...although maybe time for a new one
    02-24-07 04:52 PM
    I usually get about a day and a half with heavy usage on my 8700c.

I've learned through expirence as well as knowledge of other people having similar issues when the battery just simply can't hold a full charge anymore...

at this point I would just recomend buying a replacement battery, more so an OEM one, don't bother with any aftermarket batteries.

Where you unfortunatly went wrong was when you plugged your device in to charge overnight thus causing the battery to get weaker and weaker over time. You only need to keep it charged for at most two hours to complete a full charge.. hope this helps for future reference.
    02-26-07 11:43 AM
    I haven't had any phone longer than about a year, but the battery it self should hold a full charge for atleast two years as long as the battery isn't over charged frequently.
    03-01-07 12:21 AM
    The battery was definitely toast (dying before noon), so I gave the CrackBerry.com store a try yesterday and ordered TWO replacement batteries. Order was placed at 11:45am Tuesday morning, and the UPS man walked in the door at 11:40am Wednesday. I was impressed! The speed and convenience definitely makes up for having to pay the shipping cost. And it beats the heck out of battling traffic and wasting time going to an outlet to pick one up. Of course I'm a little biased, but dang, I was still impressed to have my new battery in under 24 hours!

Glenn - I'll give your advice a try. I think know the solution. I always have the charger by my bed, so I plug it in all night. I think I will move my charging locale to my office, and have it charge each morning first thing for a couple of hours. That should keep the overcharging problem from happening, and I should still be good to go for the day and night. Plus I now have TWO batteries - will always keep that spare one kicking around.

Thanks for the tip!
    03-01-07 12:43 AM
    I have always charged mine over night ...well one charger my side and one charger on the Mrs's side for her BB....

No wonder the electricity bill is high!
    03-01-07 07:48 AM
    ...that the BlackBerry battery was the one's that could be charged over, and over again, and not lose power...

Now, having said that, I use my 8700g all day, partly during the night, and only plug it in when I get in the office...

I guess I need to keep an eye on it's duration
    03-01-07 09:49 PM
    In my Berry experiences, I ususally let the battery get to about one bar before charging it and with moderate usage I get about 3-4 days out of a charge...though I don't game on it much if at all....plus it has lasted well over a year.

On a side note though, I am never more than 5 minutes away from a charging station. There is a charger at work, at home, and in my car....lol...all bases covered.
    03-02-07 12:28 AM
    Coming to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen the message on my screen, "Battery low" or anything like that...

Sometime this week, just because, I may let my BlackBerry drain all the way...

Hmm, scary thought!
    03-04-07 06:58 AM
    I always travel with my wall charger and a usb charger just to be safe. Imagine not having access to your berry omg the horror!!
    03-04-07 09:00 AM
    Am scared just thinking about it. Oh, how could you, you've now giving me that image, and it's about to spoil my Sunday - LMAO
    03-04-07 11:12 AM
    I have a Seidio (seidio.com) extended life battery for my 8703e & LOVE it! With moderate use (that term is,of coarse, open to interpretation) I can get close to 4 days of solid use. Closer to 5 with just a tad bit less use but being deprived of access to a BB is totally unacceptable! It is close to two & half times the power or capacity of the OEM battery that came with the unit. This may mean nothing to anyone here but I just thought I'd pass it along. Long live the BB!

From the South end of Lake Erie.
    03-06-07 03:36 PM
    yeah i've wondered this, the batt that ships with the 8700 is 1000mah, whats to stop 3rd party making extended batteries? i have seem them out perform OEM batteries by quite a margin,

I'd like to see a 1500mah batt produced by someone for my BB as if i forget to charge it one night it won't last the 2nd day! :O

i've seen low battery on mine numerous times!

fatreg
    03-11-07 04:56 AM
    I agree but have got in the habit of charging everynight....or have a retractable USB cable at my desk...just in case.....
    03-11-07 03:58 PM
    The extended life battery that Seidio (seidio.com) offers is a 2400 mAh battery & it really makes the OEM look totally ghetto by comparison! Get it today. You won't be dissapointed! No, I am not a sales rep but all I can tell you is that this battery has to be the best after market item available to the bb owner.

From the South end of Lake Erie.
    03-12-07 10:24 AM
    It does look good but it seriously make the BB look like a wedge of cheese!
    Hopefully something slimmer will come out...
    03-12-07 05:23 PM
    Actually, I find it easier to type with the extended battery & door because my fingers are repositioned in a more comfortable position. I know it sounds crazy but I'm being dead serious. Yes, it's a bit "heavier" but not by much. I wouldnt go back to the OEM battery for anything! Just my personal opinion.
    03-14-07 03:45 PM
    That's why I have;
    2 spare batteries,
    power cord and USB cord at office,
    power cord and USB at home
    power cord in bedroom next to the nightstand
    Car charger for my Blackberry in my car and wifes car.

I won't ever run out of juice on mine, I always have a way to get power to charge everything up from a generator to solar panels for emergency electricity.
    03-14-07 04:01 PM
    Audit you scare me with your addiction......

Like Robin Williams in "Flubber"
    03-14-07 04:49 PM
    Battery's have brains too. If you charge a battery with out running it all the way down it will never hold a 100% charge again. Also if your running apps constintly like browser, gmail, google maps it will of course run down the battery faster. So when your not useing an app be sure to exit.
    Last edited by redsoxnation; 03-21-07 at 07:00 PM.
    03-21-07 06:57 PM
    Funny...I was just experimenting on the time my extended OEM battery will last. I was noticing that I wasn't getting the use out of it that I had been - it's not even a year old....

I am guilty however, of not letting the battery drain down AND charging it over night - either via travel charger or via USB & laptop computer. Sounds like this will create a problem over time...

Also sounds like that Seidio extended battery is the way to go.....
    03-21-07 07:34 PM
    Newer batteries now days are not supposed to be subject to the memory problem you are talking about. I'm sure RIM thought about this when they designed the device and it's ability to hookup to a PC to sync, etc, and then charge at the same time.

Over time, batteries just get old and don't work as good.
    03-22-07 01:01 AM
    Wow i didnt know that. I guess it would make sense because of charging when linked to your computer. Well that blows that theory out of the water.
    03-22-07 10:49 AM
    From Crackberry info. page.....FYI.....

"Recharge often. Unlike some mobile batteries you donít need to fully discharge the battery packs frequently. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion batteries than one total discharge".
    03-28-07 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD