I got the error 395 on my phone but i was wondering if i do not put my sim card in, do i still need to backup or can i start to erase the phone right away?

the desktop manager i selected the usb port but it does not recognize the phone is connected
    09-20-08 02:53 PM
    09-20-08 03:00 PM
    But i was wondering what data is it they are backing up , if i leave out my sim card can i skip the back up and restore part, and reload the application and operation system on the phone

Resolution 2

Erase and reload the data on the BlackBerry device.
    In BlackBerry Desktop Manager, use the Backup and Restore tool to create a backup file of the data on your BlackBerry device. For instructions, see “Back up handheld information” in the Desktop Manager Online Help.

Warning: The following steps will erase the data on the BlackBerry device.
    In BlackBerry Desktop Manager, double-click theApplication Loader icon.
    Click Next. The Handheld Application Selection window appears.
    Verify that the correct applications are selected, then clickNext.
    Click Advanced.
    Select the option for Erase all application data and Erase all currently installed applications, then clickNext.
    Click Finish. The data on the BlackBerry device is erased, while the operating system and applications are reloaded onto the BlackBerry device.
    Use the Backup and Restore tool to restore to the BlackBerry device the data saved in the backup file. For instructions, see “Restore handheld information” in theDesktop Manager Online Help.
    09-20-08 03:05 PM
    None of what I am talking about has anything to do with the SIM card. It is irrelevant to the issue. Backing up your BB using Desktop Manager will back up your personal data such as address book, memos, calendar, bookmarks, etc.
    09-20-08 03:10 PM
    The SIM card is irelevant to Backups as sunkast says. In the BlackBerry the Address Book is the repository for phone number, emails, postal addresses, etc.

You can do a Backup with or without the SIM card in place and the results will be exactly the same.

RIM have published this BlackBerry Search Results in relation to error 395. It looks like your error may be caused by an application installed on your phone.

If you need more help, come back here.
    Last edited by Pete6; 09-20-08 at 03:41 PM.
    09-20-08 03:38 PM
    Wow, you guys are fast!! (Pete6 & Sunkast)
    09-20-08 03:53 PM
    it says that i have no software installed though
    09-20-08 03:58 PM
    The RIM link did say probably....

Try a battery pull and see if this makes the error go away.

Next, to check what's intstalled, go to Options, Advanced Options, Applications.

I have to say here that I am not at all familliar with your particular phone.

I would also sync to Outlook and the do a Backup just to be safe.
    09-20-08 04:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD