I'm seariously looking at buying a 7100i bb for my telus Mike account but am woundering is it a old antiquated phone/bb
    does it have any good use, unfortunaly i am tied to Mike (work)

Thanks

would love to see some new bb / iden phones out

Paverdude
    04-03-08 05:47 PM
    Is that the only bb option they have?
    04-03-08 05:49 PM
    that or the 7520

witch one is better?
    04-03-08 05:52 PM
    The 7100i is a nice phone and has its advantages and disadvantages. Some for me are
    -I like the calender
    -expense log pro
    -ability to I'm which I can talk to my wife with
    -ability to text email all from my phone

Disadvantages:
    -no camera
    -limited memory
    -cant get videos of my kids
    -limited to types of ringers only midi and wav
    -no expansion slot for SD cards
    -iden network doesn't have high speed internet

I could probrably go on and on about different things! I would never go back to a regular cell phone though! So if it is your only option id take it if its your only choice! Better than a cell phone!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-08 09:41 PM
    The 7100i is a pretty good phone. When I got mine, I had the same choice between the 7100i and the 7520 for Nextel, which we're required to have for work (at least if we want them to expense our bills). The 7520 is just a bit too bulky for me. The 7100i is great, because it's more phone-like, so it's very comfortable to hold while talking on it. Admittedly, it's not the most modern of phones as it's been out for 2+ years now. It's not an antique either, however, and I'd still take it over a regular cell phone any day! Truthfully, the only real complaints I have with the phone are a result of having a Curve.

I also just want to note, it's an extremely durable and reliable phone. Working for and with industrial companies, this has proven a very useful feature for me. We've all dropped our phones or knocked them into something, and it still works great. It's never crashed on me or anything either.
    04-04-08 08:24 AM
    When I had it I loved it.

04-04-08 05:03 PM
    The 7100i is a pretty good phone. When I got mine, I had the same choice between the 7100i and the 7520 for Nextel, which we're required to have for work (at least if we want them to expense our bills). The 7520 is just a bit too bulky for me. The 7100i is great, because it's more phone-like, so it's very comfortable to hold while talking on it. Admittedly, it's not the most modern of phones as it's been out for 2+ years now. It's not an antique either, however, and I'd still take it over a regular cell phone any day! Truthfully, the only real complaints I have with the phone are a result of having a Curve.

I also just want to note, it's an extremely durable and reliable phone. Working for and with industrial companies, this has proven a very useful feature for me. We've all dropped our phones or knocked them into something, and it still works great. It's never crashed on me or anything either.
    You said everything i was gonna say. It's a good phone. The only bad thign about the phone is that it's getting to be an old one at almost 4 yrs old. Plus alot of newer apps don't support the phone. From what I hear at work when people call in with issue's, it's not the phone itself but apps that are not supported.
    04-06-08 01:54 PM
    I support 23 of the 7100i's and admit that that at first I hated them and refused to give up my pilot. After a few months, I've learned to love it. Like any smartphone/PDA there will be countless pros and cons. But, I've found the 7100i to be durable and dependable. As a matter of fact, many of our 7100i's have lasted longer then the employee - hows that for a switch

many of the 3rd party apps issues I've ran into, were more along the lines of not supporting Iden networks and not the handheld itself. I've had 3 or 4 publishers (from handago) tell me that sprint is restrictive in 3rd party OTA and/or allowing local certificates. my personal phone is a nextel i930 and I have same hassle getting 3rd party apps past the iden / local certificates

as for the age - yea 4 cellular years is like dog years, but then again, 4 years and its still going strong and still available.
    Last edited by skip7100; 04-09-08 at 05:30 PM. Reason: typo
    04-08-08 07:19 AM
    I had a 7100i with nextel about 2 years ago. It was a good phone but it was a little slow browsing on the web. It also locked up when using some 3rd party apps. Other than that it was a great phone.
    04-18-08 07:06 PM
    I'm seariously looking at buying a 7100i bb for my telus Mike account but am woundering is it a old antiquated phone/bb

Thanks

Paverdude
    There's a new iden BB coming out in mid summer. It'll have a camera and DC. I think it's gonna be something like a pearl. There keeping the details secret even from reps.
    04-20-08 12:24 PM
    the 7100i is the only BB compatable with the nextel PTT. if you dont need the PTT get one of the newer ones.
    04-21-08 10:00 AM
    the 7100i is the only BB compatable with the nextel PTT. if you dont need the PTT get one of the newer ones.
    LOL no it's not. The 7520, 7510, 6510 all work with PTT.
    04-21-08 06:36 PM
    Paver, I was in the same boat. I must have Nextel for work and always wanted to try a BB. So I dumped my i870 and got a 7100i just over a month ago. While I wish it had the audio and media options the newer ones have I'll never go back to a regular phone. There are plenty of apps that work with 4.1 and above. I have nav4all (a free gps) running on it with no problems as long as I don't use the language option. I also am running eOffice, google maps, windows live search and much more. to have all my email pushed to my BB instantly keeps me in touch and with eoffice I can send directly to a fax or blue tooth printer. Then to have the web at your fingertips is awesome. though RIM announced a new IDEn BB by the end of the year I say jump in and you'll never look back.
    Alex
    04-21-08 10:45 PM
    Paver, I was in the same boat. I must have Nextel for work and always wanted to try a BB. So I dumped my i870 and got a 7100i just over a month ago. While I wish it had the audio and media options the newer ones have I'll never go back to a regular phone. There are plenty of apps that work with 4.1 and above. I have nav4all (a free gps) running on it with no problems as long as I don't use the language option. I also am running eOffice, google maps, windows live search and much more. to have all my email pushed to my BB instantly keeps me in touch and with eoffice I can send directly to a fax or blue tooth printer. Then to have the web at your fingertips is awesome. though RIM announced a new IDEn BB by the end of the year I say jump in and you'll never look back.
    Alex
    What i've been told is that a new iden blackberry should be out by the end of summer.
    04-22-08 01:19 PM
    That would be great!

04-22-08 01:50 PM
    What i've been told is that a new iden blackberry should be out by the end of summer.
    That would be great if it really does because the Curve is not looking to hot right now so I will just wait and hang on to my 7100i..
    05-26-08 11:55 PM
    I have a 7100i, and I really love it. I have had if for 2 years now, but looking to upgrade. When I got mine it was the newest Iden, but new ones are coming. The other model you mentioned is bulky to me, I wanted a sleeker model. It really has been good to me, no complaints.
    08-04-08 10:52 PM

Thanks

Paverdude
    LOL!

My primary berry is the 8830 from vzw.

I have to also keep a 7100i for specific reasons ... have to ... anyway, it's the bigest garbage I've ever seen. I'm not ripping on RIM. In fact, I think it's SPRINT'S / NEXTEL'S fault with that old iDen bulky antiquated technology.

I wouldn't keep it if you paid me to....actually I am paid to keep it...

Anyway, if that's your only option I would advise switching carriers.
    08-06-08 10:53 PM
    I love it. No camera or ringtones but I love it
    08-08-08 07:26 AM
    Wayyyyy toooooo slow.....
    I love it. No camera or ringtones but I love it
    08-23-08 09:27 PM
    Has anyone heard anymore about a new BB with a camera and DC? I'm considering giving up my 7100i and getting a 8330 Curve.
    08-27-08 12:54 PM
    The new BB for the iDEN network should be out by the end of the year from what I've heard. Its the Cure 8350- has PTT, GPS, Wi-FI, camera, etc. Should be a great upgrade from the 7100i. If you can I would wait until the 8350 comes out.
    08-27-08 02:56 PM
    Thanks a lot, I think I will try to wait and see a little while longer.
    09-03-08 01:20 AM

Thanks

Paverdude
    If you PM me, I know where you can get one for a good price.

09-03-08 02:16 AM
    I had the 7100 for over 2 years and the only reason I upgraded to the 8820 was I needed more memory. The 7100 doesnt have a lot of what everything takes for granted now but its still a good BlackBerry.

09-14-08 01:28 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD