12-05-18 11:12 AM
86 ... 234
tools
    How could they not know... it had been talked about for three years. It was marketed, even had a super bowel ad.

Majority of BB7 users had either moved own already (consumers), weren't allowed to update (enterprise that was waiting to see if it was viable), or couldn't afford upgrade (developing markets that tended to buy 2nd hand back then, now they buy low cost Android).

BB10 had a short Window from launch to the point that the For Sale sign got posted... it was all over by that point. But as Conite said... it was over before BlackBerry even bought QNX.
    There were also people like my son and his wife who had BBOS phones. The build quality was bad enough that they switched to iPhone.

BB10, therefore, was not an option. So, BB0S/BB7 wasn't the "be all / end all" that many people think it was.
    12-03-18 10:58 AM
    There were also people like my son and his wife who had BBOS phones. The build quality was bad enough that they switched to iPhone.

BB10, therefore, was not an option. So, BB0S/BB7 wasn't the "be all / end all" that many people think it was.
    PRE iOS or Android.... and for a few years after, BBOS was great. But by the time BB7 arrived in 2011 it was a band aid on a severed artery. Yes they were working on BB10 at that point (how expensive was two development teams at that time), but few were willing to keep waiting.
    12-03-18 11:07 AM
    PRE iOS or Android.... and for a few years after, BBOS was great. But by the time BB7 arrived in 2011 it was a band aid on a severed artery. Yes they were working on BB10 at that point (how expensive was two development teams at that time), but few were willing to keep waiting.
    That wasn't my point. The HARDWARE was the issue.
    12-03-18 11:22 AM
    That wasn't my point. The HARDWARE was the issue.
    Yes you said build quality....

I taught most all BBOS phones were well built. The issue was the time between conception, engineering, development, pre-production and production took years. By the time BlackBerry released a phone it was outdated.
    12-03-18 02:27 PM
    Yes you said build quality....

I taught most all BBOS phones were well built. The issue was the time between conception, engineering, development, pre-production and production took years. By the time BlackBerry released a phone it was outdated.
    That's likely true - it's not something that I paid a great deal of attention to. I was introducing a different factor - my family had hardware quality issues.

Having said that, I had a Torch 9810 and never had issues with it.
    12-03-18 03:30 PM
    How many people seen that Super Bowl ad, commercial had nothing to do with blackberry fans. How many people heard of the Z30

Posted via CB10
    12-04-18 06:04 PM
    How many people seen that Super Bowl ad, commercial had nothing to do with blackberry fans. How many people heard of the Z30

Posted via CB10
    The real question is what difference it would have made if they had.

But the point is moot anyway, as it was shortly BEFORE its release that the decision to drop hardware had been made.
    12-04-18 06:12 PM
    How do you expect to sell a new product when you don't advertise it.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-18 06:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    They didn't by that point. They were simply burning through supplier commitments with the Z30 onward.

However, they spent crazy money (for them) on the Z10 and Q10, and all it got them was a billion dollars in inventory write-offs.

As I said earlier, the race was over before the starting gun sounded.
    Last edited by conite; 12-05-18 at 12:03 PM.
    12-04-18 06:26 PM
    Spring and Summer.... BlackBerry did advertise their phones like crazy. Much more than a company selling that volume would normally do. I don't get why so many think advertising was the issue.

Now by Fall... yes they stopped. And from that point forward, marketing was kept to a minimum at best.

But BlackBerry gave it a go.... problem is you couldn't run Candy Crush or Instagram out of the box. And that the OS was VERY buggy at launch - reboots were common in US. And ultimately consumers didn't care, they were happy with iOS and Android options at that point. No need for some new full priced beta program...
    12-05-18 08:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    Someone posted their advertising spend in the first year of BB10. It was actually quite a lot. The ads were not well designed or very effective, but they did try for a little while. As others have said it was just too late. So they decided to stop the bleeding and just burn down the purchase commitments while they built up the enterprise and automotive software and security parts of the business.
    12-05-18 11:12 AM
86 ... 234