12-05-18 11:12 AM
86 123 ...
tools
    I've read through some of these threads on CrackBerry and realize I am not alone in the diehard BBOS users that have been left to dry in the world of Android, BB10 (soon EOS/EOL) and iOS platforms.

There is much to be appreciated for these old Curve/Bolds! I have read and set out to test the MMS HEX Editor hack on my old Bold, however that would not be enough to have me switch back to the Bold. I would like to know if the Bold device can be configured not to be dependent on now defunct BIS service.

Rather than folks in my camp look around for workarounds, I believe there is enough market demand for BlackBerry to make the BBOS source be licensable to other "off-beat" phone makers, maybe even make a limited release of their own.

I want to see "can-do" response here, not "it will cost BB millions to produce a now fringe product" like response.

I am sick of the all_touchy-bloated-I'm_too_thin_to_grab market saturation....I believe there is an untapped market here that BB has decided to suck dry. There is KaiOS with a gleam of hope; however nothing with the R&D behind it that BBOS had.

BlackBerry and friends, like John Chen said publicly recently, a phone manufacture needs to release something like the Bold 9900 (paraphrased.)

https://crackberry.com/john-chen-wan...900-smartphone

Who is with me on this? (If you have to say something against this, please reframe yourself. (I am sick of the post BBOS era folks of being so damn negative about a platform they know nothing about.)

Something needs to be done to save a lot of folks from this phone market homogenization. Feature must haves:

1. Removable Battery (creates demand for folks like Seidio to make available extended batteries)
    2. No touch screen option. Phones today are way to touchy and anyone who has used a Bold or Curve can tell ya, all that touch is unnecessary and ill-efficient....can't stress this enough!
    3. Apps of conservative file size. BBOS does not need anymore than 256mb of RAM to do everything folks can do on today's smartphones just without the harassing bloated overhead.
    4. Phone should be a soap bar form factor, it is small, thick enough to easily grab and handle and we forgot that folks need to be able to operate with one hand only.
    5. Convenience buttons.
    6. Bold 9900 type qwerty keyboard....it was perfected, why stray away!
    7. Excellent speaker, you don't have to plug your other ear in order to hear the other person on the line while in a noisy area like the train.
    8. The track pad instead of the touch; kinda touched on this already however can't stress enough how much I miss that track pad/button.
    9. Colored LED alerts, today you have to install 3rd party apps to get any kind of decent control and I'm glad BB still implements this feature, though needs more emphasis on simplicity of function.
    10. Video record pause, the BB10 and I think even the Android phones do not allow the pause of video recording. This feature prevents the need for post - editing.
    11. Business minded phone jingles....come on now, we need some seriously simple jingles that do not have negative effects through folks nervous systems. A simple jingle that just beeps like an old beeper is to be admired and simple jingles should be stocked as I have resorted to making sounds with my mouth as custom jingles as the alternative. If you want Justin "Beeper" going off jingling your joy phone, you need an iPhone not a BlackBerry BBOS device, plain and simple!)

12. Let me know your BBOS days' functions now MIA!
    Last edited by Jason Page; 11-25-18 at 11:56 PM. Reason: grammer, missing words etc
    11-25-18 11:33 PM
    I've read through some of these threads on CrackBerry and realize I am not alone in the diehard BBOS users that have been left to dry in the world of Android, BB10 (soon EOS/EOL) and iOS platforms.

There is much to be appreciated for these old Curve/Bolds! I have read and set out to test the MMS HEX Editor hack on my old Bold, however that would not be enough to have me switch back to the Bold. I would like to know if the Bold device can be configured not to be dependent on now defunct BIS service.

Rather than folks in my camp look around for workarounds, I believe there is enough market demand for BlackBerry to make the BBOS source be licensable to other "off-beat" phone makers, maybe even make a limited release of their own.

I want to see "can-do" response here, not "it will cost BB millions to produce a now fringe product" like response.

I am sick of the all_touchy-bloated-I'm_too_thin_to_grab market saturation....I believe there is an untapped market here that BB has decided to suck dry. There is KaiOS with a gleam of hope; however nothing with the R&D behind it that BBOS had.

BlackBerry and friends, like John Chen said publicly recently, a phone manufacture needs to release something like the Bold 9900 (paraphrased.)

https://crackberry.com/john-chen-wan...900-smartphone

Who is with me on this? (If you have to say something against this, please reframe yourself. (I am sick of the post BBOS era folks of being so damn negative about a platform they know nothing about.)

Something needs to be done to save a lot of folks from this phone market homogenization. Feature must haves:

1. Removable Battery (creates demand for folks like Seidio to make available extended batteries)
    2. No touch screen option. Phones today are way to touchy and anyone who has used a Bold or Curve can tell ya, all that touch is unnecessary and ill-efficient....can't stress this enough!
    3. Apps of conservative file size. BBOS does not need anymore than 256mb of RAM to do everything folks can do on today's smartphones just without the harassing bloated overhead.
    4. Phone should be a soap bar form factor, it is small, thick enough to easily grab and handle and we forgot that folks need to be able to operate with one hand only.
    5. Convenience buttons.
    6. Bold 9900 type qwerty keyboard....it was perfected, why stray away!
    7. Excellent speaker, you don't have to plug your other ear in order to hear the other person on the line while in a noisy area like the train.
    8. The track pad instead of the touch; kinda touched on this already however can't stress enough how much I miss that track pad/button.
    9. Colored LED alerts, today you have to install 3rd party apps to get any kind of decent control and I'm glad BB still implements this feature, though needs more emphasis on simplicity of function.
    10. Video record pause, the BB10 and I think even the Android phones do not allow the pause of video recording. This feature prevents the need for post - editing.

11. Let me know your BBOS days' functions now MIA!
    I always preferred BBOS over BB10 and felt that BBAndroid should have been started in 2007-2008 in conjunction with BBOS. I carried a BBOS device until 2013 but was dual carrying with Android/IOS by then.

Biggest issue with BBOS is that carriers won’t support for multiple reasons and what good is any device with carrier functionality??
    Jason Page likes this.
    11-25-18 11:57 PM
    Not sure it need be carrier dependent either. Can simply be unlocked, option for GSM or CDMA, maybe both, like my Bold 9650, while locked to CDMA the GSM is completely unlocked.

So no need for carrier support beyond just the basics.
    11-26-18 12:34 AM
    So, what happens in a few years when both GSM and CDMA are all shut down the way most carriers have already sunset 2G.

BlackBerry has already had BB10 available for licensing since 2013, and no one has bit, and thats a more modern OS. More so than BBOS, with its memory limited Java-based OS.

Guess you've forgotten the frequent spinning clock as the OS is constantly doing background garbage collection.
    Bbnivende and john_v like this.
    11-26-18 01:10 AM
    Blackberry had their mark with BBOS, with going BB10 to be like everyone else, they lost their mark! now they going the way of Android just goes further from that mark. BBOS was modern in function. BB10 and Android are modern in behavior just means they are now a little fish in a big pond with a lot of other little fishes to fill that pond while the BB pond had a massive forced exodus and drought. It is really sad state of market reality. No one gonna buy a BB10 license which attempt was to join the Android and iOS world, which is futile.

What I mean by GSM includes LTE and G5 etc
    11-26-18 08:01 AM
    I agree with OP they should have gone other route, make BBOS and Android versions of their phones, not reinvent the wheel with BB10.
    11-26-18 08:05 AM
    I agree with OP they should have gone other route, make BBOS and Android versions of their phones, not reinvent the wheel with BB10.
    Aren't you the OP?
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    11-26-18 08:52 AM
    Go to BlackBerry and make a licencing offer. If BlackBerry can make a business case with a healthy ROI, then I'm sure they would look at it.

Of course it would be folly on behalf of the licencee. Said potential licencee would be far better off to make a modern device based on a custom, locked-down fork of Android, like the Punkt MP02. No use paying BlackBerry for some ancient Java code.
    Last edited by conite; 11-26-18 at 09:25 AM.
    glwerry likes this.
    11-26-18 08:54 AM
    Ha, I always thought OP was acronym for "Other Person"
    11-26-18 10:09 AM
    Ha, I always thought OP was acronym for "Other Person"
    Original Post or Poster.
    Jason Page likes this.
    11-26-18 10:14 AM
    Here's some harsh reality for you. I've used BBs for the entire time that I have used a smartphone (4 devices).
    If you were able to bring back a BBOS device, I am NOT a buyer unless it can use Google services SEAMLESSLY. I have critical apps that I need that need Google services - either the device can run these (like the hated and maligned BB Android) or I would be going elsewhere.
    11-26-18 11:54 AM
    Incidentally, making the topic into multiple threads (posts) won't make the argument any more valid.
    11-26-18 12:17 PM
    Why don't you start a project on a crowdfunding platform if you think it can be done? I don't doubt it as nothing is impossible, but first please do the math, plan, design, talk to BB about licensing and some hardware manufacturer about the costs of producing such a product.

Posted via CB10
    glwerry and Jason Page like this.
    11-26-18 01:29 PM
    You're not alone, but you'll all still fit in one minivan.
    john_v, glwerry, conite and 1 others like this.
    11-26-18 02:27 PM

I expect most here... know about BBOS, as they lived that era too. Many like me do look back fondly at times and marvel at some things that never got brought over to BB10 or now Android.

But the reality is BBOS is history... not meant for today's hardware. If you want an OS, you pretty much need either huge marketshare (like BBOS once had) or to be compatible with LINUX.

Sorry but BB10 and BBOS are products that few need or want, and BlackBerry is very aware of this. To bring either back would be a huge fiscal risk, and one that no sane CEO is going to attempt.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-26-18 02:42 PM
    When most people post about re-launching BBOS, they usually tend to do so with a caveat - such as update it to run on modern hardware and add the ability to run a critical app or two like Google Maps. They post these things as if it were easy and cheap to do. The cost to add driver support for current silicon makes the effort a non-starter before getting out of the planning stage.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-26-18 03:57 PM
    Why don't you start a project on a crowdfunding platform if you think it can be done? I don't doubt it as nothing is impossible, but first please do the math, plan, design, talk to BB about licensing and some hardware manufacturer about the costs of producing such a product.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, Ill think on that!
    11-26-18 03:58 PM

Guess you've forgotten the frequent spinning clock as the OS is constantly doing background garbage collection.
    Very much this. The tendency of human nature, whether it is phones, cars, or the nostalgic longing for 1950's era Main Street soda shops, is to always remember the good and forget about the frustrations and hardships.
    11-26-18 04:00 PM
    Very much this. The tendency of human nature, whether it is phones, cars, or the nostalgic longing for 1950's era Main Street soda shops, is to always remember the good and forget about the frustrations and hardships.
    The way of market trends, this maybe the least of our worries (attached)
    Attached Thumbnails Suggestion to BB, License out BBOS, so not dust to dust....-8149.jpg  
    11-26-18 04:15 PM
    You remind me of Lawrence Matson who was contracted by Sigma corp to steer public opinion towards the whims of market ease while and before the Foveon inquisition. Wonderful man, he taught me a lot tho controlled opposition in group think atmospheres was his mastery.
    11-26-18 04:22 PM
    Love this parody... should ring the hearts of BBOS diehards, those familiar using OS/2 in the soon to be dominated Windows market place.
    Attached Thumbnails Suggestion to BB, License out BBOS, so not dust to dust....-8150.jpg  
    11-26-18 04:36 PM
    you might want to go to geek website to test out list of feature you want for your new phone and see if anyone willing to crowd fund it - if you got enough money to pay Chen's salary for next few years, call him (or email him john.chen@blackberry.com.. I believe) with full business plan. make sure you have carrier backing - you need their qualification to put phone on their network (since you want to get away BIS)... by the way, without BIS, 256Mb might not be enough (assume you use droid - find me a droid phone with 256Mb. I could be wrong).
    Jason Page likes this.
    11-27-18 09:08 AM
    Properly done it could be a minivan of a few million users, with many using it as a second phone. But the feature set would have to be very finely honed, and the price point would need to be on the order of $200 with a monthly charge of $10 or so, including data.

It would be similar to some limited use wearables.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    11-27-18 09:28 AM
    When most people post about re-launching BBOS, they usually tend to do so with a caveat - such as update it to run on modern hardware and add the ability to run a critical app or two like Google Maps. They post these things as if it were easy and cheap to do. The cost to add driver support for current silicon makes the effort a non-starter before getting out of the planning stage.
    ^^100% correct

If a BBOS successor is to compete with full-featured mobile OSes, it would need to avoid comparisons by being distinctly different. Make it a simple phone and email appliance with some simple utilities (alarm, music player, calculator., etc.) and sell it for <$200 with a fixed monthly service fee that includes data.

I believe you could sell millions of the right device, but it would need to be a simple, inexpensive alternative to more expensive, full-featured options.

11-27-18 09:35 AM
    Oh, and in case this isn't obvious, it would need to be done on a locked down Android fork to keep costs low and use modern hardware. Maybe license some IP from BlackBerry for the brand and design elements, such as the notification spark, Hub, etc.

11-27-18 10:33 AM
86 123 ...