Hello, I need some help finding some Jabber client for my Curve 9620. I'm having a really hard time finding something that works or has an available link.

For the record, I'm trying to connect to an already existing account in a standard Jabber server (jabb.im), so there's no crazy configurations from my side.

Here's what I tried (and what failed in each case):

- IM+: fails to connect. I don't know if maybe my account wasn't working somehow (and I created a new account since the last time I tried this), but I hear this client connects to its own server (i.e., not directly to the Jabber server in question), so this could mean IM+'s serves were deactivated. Also, this client is a bit too heavy for my taste anyway, so I figured I'd look for better options.

- Bombus: it's a J2ME app, but it seemed promising, since it's opensource and it has a lot of features (for a J2ME app). But it also fails to connect with some cryptic Java exception. The error message complains about some invalid URL or a missing port -- even though I filled everything in.

- Talkonaut: Another J2ME app. It looked promising until I noticed that it seems to require those Nokia-like action buttons, which BlackBerry doesn't have. I got stuck in the account config.

- Nimbuzz: I remember using Nimbuzz in my old 6300 Nokia phone and it used to work pretty well. Not in this phone, though. The native version seems to be dead: it asks my mobile number in the initial setup, then it gets stuck. Then I tried the J2ME version: same problem as Talkonaut.

- Lampiro: nowhere to be found.

I know I maybe should've posted this as several separate questions, but, at this point, they would probably get no traction.

Any ideas? I need _something_ to communicate to the outside world from this phone.

Also, hello everyone! This is my first post and also first few days ever using a BlackBerry.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9620 using Tapatalk
    08-12-19 05:11 PM
    Hello, I need some help finding some Jabber client for my Curve 9620. I'm having a really hard time finding something that works or has an available link.

For the record, I'm trying to connect to an already existing account in a standard Jabber server (jabb.im), so there's no crazy configurations from my side.

Any ideas? I need _something_ to communicate to the outside world from this phone.

Also, hello everyone! This is my first post and also first few days ever using a BlackBerry.

Welcome to CrackBerry!

I have a self-hosted XMPP (Jabber) server. If I turn off server-to-client encryption, IM+ works. If I turn it on, IM+ won't connect.

As I understand it the problem isn't with the apps. It's the OS. The SSL/TLS built into the OS is outdated and the apps make use of the OS's encryption.

Since the encryption isn't up to date, the servers will not permit you to connect.

I don't think there's any hope of a solution, but I've been wrong before, so I'd never say never.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-12-19 10:16 PM
    Hey, thanks for the answer!

As I understand it the problem isn't with the apps. It's the OS. The SSL/TLS built into the OS is outdated and the apps make use of the OS's encryption.

Since the encryption isn't up to date, the servers will not permit you to connect.

I don't think there's any hope of a solution, but I've been wrong before, so I'd never say never.
    Oof

I knew this outdated certificate would bite me in the *** eventually, but I kept my hopes high since Zello works fine. I guess they bundle their own SSL/TLS with the app.

Let's hope I find something like Zello but that actually allows me to chat (no, Zello's half-assed call request isn't a substitute for actual instant messaging).

Thanks a lot for the help!

08-12-19 11:03 PM
    I knew this outdated certificate would bite me in the *** eventually, but I kept my hopes high since Zello works fine. I guess they bundle their own SSL/TLS with the app.
    That is definitely a possibility. At least one of the email apps used to have its own certificates (MujMail). It's also possible that Zello's server accepts less secure connections. Some do. For example, I could still connect to my Outlook.com account with the Bold 9900's TLS 1.0 the last time I tried (about four months ago), but I wouldn't recommend it.

It's also possible that IM+ has shut down their servers or blacklisted the BB OS app since the last time I tried it (in the spring of this year).

This is just a shot in the dark, but whenever I get stuck in a J2ME app, my rule of thumb is to press the BlackBerry button to see if a menu appears. Did you try that when you were configuring Talkonaut and Nimbuzz?
    08-13-19 09:04 AM
    This is just a shot in the dark, but whenever I get stuck in a J2ME app, my rule of thumb is to press the BlackBerry button to see if a menu appears. Did you try that when you were configuring Talkonaut and Nimbuzz?
    Yup. No good, unfortunately. It worked with Bombus, but more "advanced" J2ME apps like Talkonaut and Nimbuzz seem to be tailored to more specific devices, unlike the simpler and older ones.

The other solutions I'm thinking about right now are setting up a proxy or updating the certs, and I'm not sure I'd be able to do either of these. Since I'm running Opera Mini, I could also just use an online XMPP client, but Opera's engine is so old that I'll have just as hard of a time looking for anything that's still available and runs.

Thanks again! My situation is dire, but hearing someone say "yup, you're screwed" is surprisingly comforting when compared to trying and failing over and over.

08-13-19 10:34 AM
    Originally Posted by romariorios

Yup. No good, unfortunately. It worked with Bombus, but more "advanced" J2ME apps like Talkonaut and Nimbuzz seem to be tailored to more specific devices, unlike the simpler and older ones.

The other solutions I'm thinking about right now are setting up a proxy or updating the certs, and I'm not sure I'd be able to do either of these. Since I'm running Opera Mini, I could also just use an online XMPP client, but Opera's engine is so old that I'll have just as hard of a time looking for anything that's still available and runs.

Thanks again! My situation is dire, but hearing someone say "yup, you're screwed" is surprisingly comforting when compared to trying and failing over and over.

Well, you're not completely screwed.

You could set up your own XMPP server and avoid client to server encryption or use an older version of TLS. Neither is particularly safe, so it would depend on the nature of the communications involved.

I had to edit some of this post, because I was wrong about certificate hashing.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-13-19 01:09 PM
    This might be a silly question, but wouldn't something like this solve my problem?: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...icates-1149450

08-13-19 03:08 PM
    This might be a silly question, but wouldn't something like this solve my problem?: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...icates-1149450

It could. You can export certificates from Firefox and import them on the BlackBerry. I've done this and it takes care of a number of certificate errors (including Let's Encrypt).

However, importing certificates still won't deal with the outdated TLS issue, if the servers are rejecting the client for that reason.

In my case, I have the updated certificates. I can access websites on the same server as my XMPP with no certificate issues (the server uses Let's Encrypt certificates). But IM+ still doesn't work (I tried it at lunch). I'll try bombus right now.
    08-13-19 07:45 PM
    It could. You can export certificates from Firefox and import them on the BlackBerry. I've done this and it takes care of a number of certificate errors (including Let's Encrypt).

However, importing certificates still won't deal with the outdated TLS issue, if the servers are rejecting the client for that reason.

In my case, I have the updated certificates. I can access websites on the same server as my XMPP with no certificate issues (the server uses Let's Encrypt certificates). But IM+ still doesn't work (I tried it at lunch). I'll try bombus right now.
    No luck for me with bombus. I tried all of the configuration options I could.

I also tried enabling some legacy authentication settings on my xmpp server. That didn't work with bombus or IM+.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 08-13-19 at 08:51 PM.
    08-13-19 08:18 PM
    I've found five new jabber/XMPP clients on github and sourceforge, so I'll try them asap. They're all really old (the newest is mandarin, from 2013), so I'm not holding out a lot of hope, but you never know!

Here's a list so others can find them and we don't duplicate our efforts:

*jmc
    *jxa
    *mandarin
    *MGTalk
    *miniim
    08-14-19 10:56 AM
    So here's the report:

Mandarin and miniim would not install. Both failed with errors.

jmc, which turns out to be "Jabber Mix Client," did install, but any attempt to start it resulted in a freeze.

jxa and MGTalk (the latter is a Google Talk / xmpp client) both produced authentication errors when attempting to connect without SSL and "invalid URL parameter" errors when attempting to connect with SSL.
    08-15-19 11:53 AM
    That's sad to hear, but thanks a lot for trying, though. Really appreciate the effort.

*However*, I managed to find something that _seems_ to work: https://jwchat.org/

Yes, it's a web client, but it loaded and connected just fine! I haven't tested chat yet, so, could you add me so that I can test it? Here's my ID: romariorios@jabb.im

Again, thanks a lot for the help so far.

08-15-19 12:52 PM
    That's sad to hear, but thanks a lot for trying, though. Really appreciate the effort.

*However*, I managed to find something that _seems_ to work: https://jwchat.org/

Yes, it's a web client, but it loaded and connected just fine! I haven't tested chat yet, so, could you add me so that I can test it? Here's my ID: romariorios@jabb.im

Again, thanks a lot for the help so far.

Added. Sent you an authorization request and a test message.
    08-15-19 03:57 PM
    So the problem is with the apps and not the OS.

There is an Android app called J2ME loader that runs J2ME apps, including apps that need network services.

It turns out that none of the XMPP apps work on Android either. They're probably just too old and can't deal with modern TLS.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-15-19 09:18 PM
    Thanks a lot for all the help!

jwchat works... very poorly, so I think I've given up for now. It looks like it's no longer feasible to access Jabber from old Blackberries, sadly.

08-29-19 09:45 AM