Amazon's Fire phone's big hurdle: The learning curve | ZDNet

I appreciate the author bringing up what he calls "The No. 3 Platform Conundrum:" Trying to break into the Android / iOS dominated universe is always going to be a roll of the dice because any attempt to _improve_ on those two (similar) experiences necessarily means discomfort for the new user. The example he uses right up front is the Fire's "tilt" gesture.

He goes on to point out that Mr Softy is the number 3 OS in no small part because, while the experience is "more intuitive," users "needed to learn some new things." He also mentions BB10 as introducing new gestures that "frankly made a lot of sense," but "there was a learning curve, too." The author says to give Fire a fair review and "make a real decision," the user should use Fire "exclusively for a few weeks."

Weeks.

He's probably not far off.

I found myself wondering where such patience and insight was when the Z10 was launched.

Here is where TV advertising could have gone a long way for BlackBerry -- and may yet. The BlackBerry 10 gestures _do_ "make a lot of sense," and once you are shown them, they are pretty intuitive. How else can BlackBerry promote the notion that while some investment is required, the result is well worth it..?

Thumb-flicked from my Z30 via CB10
    raino, Mack Gans and Blomsternisse like this.
    06-20-14 05:45 PM
    Obviously I don't care about reviews as I'm a BB user, but I'd buy one of those if they were available in Canada.
    06-20-14 06:12 PM
    The TVs ads that BlackBerry ran never went into detail about the innovate features in BB10, or how they can help you in your day-to-day life.
    06-21-14 05:54 AM
    The TVs ads that BlackBerry ran never went into detail about the innovate features in BB10, or how they can help you in your day-to-day life.
    YES. I think most BlackBerry 10 enthusiasts recognized that and were frustrated by the lack of meaningful advertising to support the rollout. As the author of this piece recognized, "mobile platform challengers are hell-bent on giving us a user experience revolution that few of us want." Paradoxically, it was Steve Jobs who famously observed that "people don't know what you want until you show it to them." BlackBerry seems not to have not had a handle on that concept at the time, and that lack of understanding showed up when people started bringing back the Z10s in frustration. People have to believe the BlackBerry 10 experience will be worth it, or they'll never be motivated to learn the OS.

Thumb-flicked from my Z30 via CB10
    06-21-14 07:39 AM