After months of trouble free use it started depleting the battery in 2 hours. The battery charged fine, I could see it was system related. After deleting many apps it continued to consume the battery.

I saw a suggestion to reload the OS, so I started a reload using BB Link.

BB Link shows connected, the red "blink blink......blink" turns a solid green, and it hangs on "Initializing software reload". I have left it for over 3 hours. I have tried this approach twice.

If I start Reload from the Preferences (top right of screen) I get the same result except it hangs with "Checking for BB Device Software updates" I suspect it is the BB.com/updates link which appears to be out of date and broken.

Using the BB10 autoloader may be a little more revealing. The CMD window opens, it says connected and wants my password. As soon as it has the password the upload status bar starts quickly running across the screen until 100 is displayed and then I get a MS W-10 beep beep and a pop-up the USB connection has failed. In MS device manager the two RIM VSP COM ports remain open.

I have spent hours searching the web and found many "fixes", all of them years old.

Any suggestions? The phone was great before I bricked it.
    08-03-20 09:13 PM
    After months of trouble free use it started depleting the battery in 2 hours. The battery charged fine, I could see it was system related. After deleting many apps it continued to consume the battery.

BB Link shows connected, the red "blink blink......blink" turns a solid green, and it hangs on "Initializing software reload". I have left it for over 3 hours. I have tried this approach twice.

If I start Reload from the Preferences (top right of screen) I get the same result except it hangs with "Checking for BB Device Software updates" I suspect it is the BB.com/updates link which appears to be out of date and broken.

Using the BB10 autoloader may be a little more revealing. The CMD window opens, it says connected and wants my password. As soon as it has the password the upload status bar starts quickly running across the screen until 100 is displayed and then I get a MS W-10 beep beep and a pop-up the USB connection has failed. In MS device manager the two RIM VSP COM ports remain open.

I have spent hours searching the web and found many "fixes", all of them years old.

Try a different USB cable, port, or even a different PC.
    08-03-20 09:51 PM

Autoloader is the way to go but are you sure you have the correct one?

Anyway try again: https://mega.nz/file/s9hGBACZ#rI_Bxh...eeBqF5DyH8cb6U
    This one is already unzipped - just download to a PC , plug your Z30 in and run it.
    08-03-20 09:54 PM