It doesn't seem at all suspicious that these big companies are pushing their cloud services? Remember when that god awful Windows Live Mail forced users to use cloud storage in order to send photo attachments? That's one desktop application I'll never use.

What could they possibly want by driving all my data to their servers? I'm sure Google loves it when I encrypt my files before uploading them. No, probably not as they can't monetize my personal information. I'm guessing that It won't be long before they forbid encrypted documents from being used with their free services.
    Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie: Practical Mind Control Protection for Paranoids: Lyle Zapato: 9781581603767: Amazon.com: Books

One problem I've found with Gmail and Outlook addresses is trying to pick a username that hasn't already been taken. There's nothing more juvenile than having [email protected] for an email address.
    Red Herring #377,620.

I'm done even bothering to answer this stuff because I've got better things to do. Short version: I've been telling you NOT to use Google's free product for weeks now.
    polgara59 and akavbb like this.
    03-10-13 08:10 PM
    Now what was it in the title of this thread about reality?.....
    I now see that it was actually all about real-estate. I think we've all been hoodwinked...

Z10 won`t sync outlook-has blackberry lost touch with realty
    03-10-13 08:11 PM
    Hahahahaha

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 08:15 PM
    There are options besides free Gmail. I wouldn't use that crap if you paid me...

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 08:15 PM
    Wait. You mean we can't add outlook mail to Z10? Not even an OUTLOOK WEB ACCESS (OWA) email? via microsoft exchange?
    03-11-13 08:48 PM
    I really get a kick out of so many "security" issues.

As already been said if you receive/send email you are on the "cloud".

If I own a 1 million dollar house I will pay 500.00 a month for security system. If you live in my real house you are willing to pay 60.00 a month for security.

So I ask, how many of the complainers on this thread, have million dollar info on their phone that they are willing to spend big money to protect?
    03-11-13 09:05 PM
    Wait. You mean we can't add outlook mail to Z10? Not even an OUTLOOK WEB ACCESS (OWA) email? via microsoft exchange?
    Microsoft Exchange works fine, lots of people are linked to MS Exchange on Z10's.

The person who posted this wants to use a USB cable to synchronize PIM data (ie contacts/calendars) with a desktop copy of Outlook without connecting through the internet, without an Exchange server.
    03-11-13 09:42 PM
    Microsoft Exchange works fine, lots of people are linked to MS Exchange on Z10's.

The person who posted this wants to use a USB cable to synchronize PIM data (ie contacts/calendars) with a desktop copy of Outlook without connecting through the internet, without an Exchange server.
    Thanks for the info. I thought the problem was about adding the mail. Great to know Z10 can add via ACTIVESYNC.

That's right yes? Microsofct Exchange Activesync?
    03-11-13 09:50 PM
    Thanks for the info. I thought the problem was about adding the mail. Great to know Z10 can add via ACTIVESYNC.

That's right yes? Microsofct Exchange Activesync?
    Correct. It's often abbreviated "EAS" but I don't use that acronym unless I know everyone in the discussion is familiar with it.

EAS support is new in Blackberry10, previous handhelds did not support it, they connected to Exchange Accounts via either BES, or OWA. (The Playbook was actually the first Blackberry device with native EAS support. With prior devices, you either had to connect via BES, OWA, or a 3rd-party EAS syncing utility.)
    PH_BB likes this.
    03-11-13 10:08 PM
    FYI, here is the statement from Blackberry staff member "Ty" about the the planned addition of local syncing features to Blackberry Link, which is promised for this month:

Re: New Blackberry 10 Sync to Outlook - Page 31 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    03-11-13 10:25 PM
    and the malware on it snagged all of your account credentials right under your nose.
    But of course malware would never log keystrokes and capture the password to web based email services. Never.
    03-13-13 04:49 PM
    But of course malware would never log keystrokes and capture the password to web based email services. Never.
    It could capture anything you do.

The point is that the simple fact that you are backing-up locally doesn't automatically make your data secure. Especially with old software that may/may not have unpatched security vulns.
    03-13-13 07:10 PM
    The point is that the simple fact that you are backing-up locally doesn't automatically make your data secure. Especially with old software that may/may not have unpatched security vulns.
    Most users get that and the level of security that certain users want to achive HAS BEEN explained to you over and over.

Yet, you keep making assumptions and tailoring a scenario to push your point.

Instead of expertise, you provide this thread with great entertainment value.
    03-14-13 08:23 AM
    ... The point is that the simple fact that you are backing-up locally doesn't automatically make your data secure. ...
    The point is also that the simple fact you are putting your data on someone else's server-farm-in-the-sky doesn't automatically make your data secure.

The point is also that the issue here is Contact, Calendar, Task and (for some) Note data being stored in/transmitted through the cloud, not emails.

I would also submit that your assumption all of us who want USB sync are using old and/or unpatched software is a touch arrogant. I may not want to do something the way "the latest and greatest" are doing something, but that doesn't mean I should be dismissed as a laggard or luddite. I mean, if it did, then by definition all of us Berry users are laggards and luddites for not going iOS/Android.

So chill, ok?

- R.
    ssbtech and WES51 like this.
    03-14-13 11:02 AM
    It's not 1999 and this isn't a Palm V.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 12:22 PM
    It's not 1999 and this isn't a Palm V.

Posted via CB10
    Yup... pretty sure that's about accurate... it was about that long ago that I plugged a mobile device into a computer with a physical cable to perform a sync.

The speed of business today makes that practice so untenable that I don't know how anyone still relying on that kind of practice can keep up.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 02:19 PM
    The speed of business today makes that practice so untenable that I don't know how anyone still relying on that kind of practice can keep up.
    I have no issue with the EAS feature being available for business users, but we're not all hyper-connected and on the go 24/7. I don't start gasping like a fish out of water the moment I forgot to take my phone to the bathroom with me.

Don't force me to go with the latst and greatest EAS when simple USB sync is all I want or need. I know what the advantages and disadvantages are of EAS and USB. The disadvantages of EAS far outweigh the advantages for the way I use the device.
    03-14-13 02:29 PM
    ...also let me share a little "secret" with the TooHipp for USB crowd.

A large number of companies (if not the majority) is still using WinXP and earlier versions of Outlook.

Why?

Because it works for them and because there is no need to upgrade any further what so ever.

In the professional world: as long something works -> it stays.

Many professionals work by "never change a running system", which means you don't change things unless you absolutely have to.

Indeed spending time constantly upgrading to stay ahead is generally regarded for little kids and IT-fanatics, who either have too much time or who don't value their time.
    03-14-13 02:38 PM
    Most users get that and the level of security that certain users want to achive HAS BEEN explained to you over and over.
    The POINT was made because certain people keep banging a drum about something that isn't as true as they think. (scroll back)

Instead of expertise, you provide this thread with great entertainment value.

Facts are tough for some people, I admit.

The point is also that the simple fact you are putting your data on someone else's server-farm-in-the-sky doesn't automatically make your data secure.

I made no such claim. Thanks for playing.

I would also submit that your assumption all of us who want USB sync are using old and/or unpatched software is a touch arrogant.

Neither did I make that claim either. I know specifically what ssbtech's software environment is because we have been discussing this for weeks now, and that is specifically what I was referring-to. You're imagining things.

So chill, ok?

Please take your own advice and stop getting personal with me, k? Thanks.

...also let me share a little "secret" with the TooHipp for USB crowd.

A large number of companies (if not the majority) is still using WinXP and earlier versions of Outlook.

Why?

Because it works for them and because there is no need to upgrade any further what so ever.

In the professional world: as long something works -> it stays.

Many professionals work by "never change a running system", which means you don't change things unless you absolutely have to.

Indeed spending time constantly upgrading to stay ahead is generally regarded for little kids and IT-fanatics, who either have too much time or who don't value their time.

It makes no difference when Microsoft ends support for XP in 2014, those companies WILL change, or else they're being irresponsible.

The cost of upgrading a giant company with all its intertwined systems to a new platform is vastly higher than a single end-user, which is one key reason why single end-users are all buying so many Z10's these days - because they want "new stuff" all the time and the cost of change is much lower than it is for an enterprise with 10's of thousands of users.

Another key reason why so many companies are still on XP is because there wasn't a compelling alternative until Windows 7. And now it appears that Windows 8 will be an even bigger flop than Vista was. So we will most likely see businesses standardizing on Windows 7 for quite a while into the future for that reason.
    03-14-13 03:02 PM
    Yup... pretty sure that's about accurate... it was about that long ago that I plugged a mobile device into a computer with a physical cable to perform a sync.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe if you opened your mind to the possibility you'd learn something, then.

- R.
    03-14-13 03:07 PM
    Maybe if you opened your mind to the possibility you'd learn something, then.
    +1

Having all quotes mixed up, paying a bit more attention would help too.
    03-14-13 03:25 PM
    What are these disadvantages of EAS that would outweigh the advantages of local sync? Just curious as a user and administrator of a secure Exchange environment?

Advantages to EAS

1. Secure data transfer and login
    2. Push Email
    3. Available anywhere via wireless or wifi no cables to lose or forget to pack.
    4. Synchs email, calendar, contacts, notes, tasks.
    5. Remote wipe if device stolen.
    6. If devices breaks or needs replacing or accidently wiped, its easy to recover email, contacts, calendar, notes and tasks. No backup of this data is required.
    7. Supports encryption of email on device as well as encryption of all data on decive is supported in vendor's EAS implementation.
    Others?

Disadvantages

1. Requires an Exchange account or other email system supporting EAS.
    Others?

Advantages to Local Outlook Sync

1. Doesn't require network connection.
    2. Can synch email, contacts, calendar, notes, tasks if Synching software supports it.
    3. Synching of above if option to synch via cloud or employer's server does not allow remote synch.
    Others?

Disadvantages

1. Requires a PC with current version of Outlook installed.
    2. Requires additional software on PC and it requires that software to be kept up to date with changes to Outlook.
    3. Security depends entirely upon additional user precautions, efforts and experience.
    4. Can be susceptible to key logging software or malware on PC.
    5. Requires external backup in case of disaster, requiring additional hardware and software as well as diligence on the part of the user for regular and secure backups.
    6. Delays induced by accessibility of PC.
    7. Must always have cables available even if using wireless sync in case wireless sync fails.
    8. No remote wipe if device lost except to call carrier in the case of a stolen or lost device. Hopefully you have been diligent about your backups.
    Others?
    03-14-13 03:34 PM
    Heh. Good luck with that. See my "Argon" example.

(Edit: Sorry, that was another thread about the same crusade of ssbtech's. Here's the quote:

It's as if I mention to you that .00001% of the air you breath is argon gas, and then you turn around and start ranting about how horrible it is that you are forced to breathe that "horrible, unhealthy air", which is no different than the "unhealthy air" that humans have been breathing throughout the entire existence of the species. That's what is called a "red herring".
    03-14-13 05:43 PM
    What are these disadvantages of EAS that would outweigh the advantages of local sync? Just curious as a user and administrator of a secure Exchange environment? ...
    Good question, and I think some of the responses will uncover assumptions on both sides that may be inaccurate.

My questions back to you :
    1) Personal user - where do they get EAS from? At what cost?
    2) Self employed individual without IT support - where do they get EAS from? At what cost?
    3) Small business without IT department - where do they get EAS from? At what cost?
    4) Is sync via EAS a full sync? (all data, including Categories, and all history) - the DM sync was, and that's what users are holding up as the standard that has been taken away
    5) Are any of your Advantages/Disadvantages offset by other "normal" means or situations?
    ex - Local sync #8 remote wipe - provided by Blackberry Protect; #7 Cables required - not really an issue in the real world; #5 External backup requred - not unique to local sync, needs to be in place for all other applications and data too so incremental cost/bother not really an issue; #4 Key logging software/malware - is this really unique to the local sync situation? #1 Current/patched Outlook versions required - don't see that these are actually required by either EAS or local sync, sure they should be in place but they're not mandatory are they? Etc.

Just trying to get down to the real world nitty gritty pros/cons.

Please note I appreciate the convenience of a full OTA sync. For me, it's the cost/hassle of somehow setting up EAS capability for my personal POP3 email accounts, plus the loss of control over any data hosted outside my personal systems. And no comments re tin foil hats, "What do you have to hide?", etc. - it's the principle. My data, my privacy, my choice. And I'm not even one of those who have stated they are not legally allowed to have their data stored in the cloud. I can't speak to their requirements or the laws or regulations they must adhere to, I can only take their word that this is the case.

- R.
    03-14-13 07:28 PM

My questions back to you :
    1) Personal user - where do they get EAS from? At what cost?
    2) Self employed individual without IT support - where do they get EAS from? At what cost?
    3) Small business without IT department - where do they get EAS from? At what cost?
    1. Office 365 with BBCS
    2. Office 365 with BBCS
    3. Office 365 with BBCS

$9.95/month/user

Worth every penny to be able to keep pace with the speed of business.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 08:16 PM
356 ... 1112131415