I find it incomprehensible that a feature that worked perfectly with my Storm has been denied to the Z10. "A solution later tbis year"? Have BlackBerry gone mad?
    02-16-13 06:22 PM
    Subscribing to thread to follow the topic since it's a critical one for me. Hoping for USB-PC sync option sooner than later. This kind of decision by BB certainly makes it seem like they've forgotten about, or chosen to ignore, their previously-bread-and-butter business customers who aren't on BES. Rather frustrating to me to follow the BB10 hype and then to have this fiasco dull the excitement. I suspect this new issue also gives plenty of business users one less reason to stay with BB, unfortunately.
    02-16-13 06:59 PM
    Yes it can.
    Yes it can but with the use of an app that is similar to CompanionLink.
    02-16-13 07:02 PM
    they appear to be in a similar situation to us.

How To: Sync Android With Microsoft Outlook | PCMag.com
    That's not good. Thanks for the link though.
    02-16-13 07:30 PM
    Yes it can but with the use of an app that is similar to CompanionLink.
    Using Kies which is similar to what BB Desktop used to be
    02-16-13 07:58 PM
    See the linked article below: Blackberry is going to add local PIM sync to Blackberry Link:

Outlook contact and calendar information via USB sync coming to BlackBerry Link | CrackBerry.com
    02-17-13 11:50 PM
    See the linked article below: Blackberry is going to add local PIM sync to Blackberry Link:

Outlook contact and calendar information via USB sync coming to BlackBerry Link | CrackBerry.com
    Problem solved! maybe we'll get this BB Link update with the release of BB10 to America.
    02-18-13 04:27 AM
    This issue will be fixed with the next update to BlackBerry Link:

http://m.crackberry.com/outlook-usb-...lackberry-link

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 06:09 AM
    This issue will be fixed with the next update to BlackBerry Link:

Read it carefully, the full two-way sync will be in the 2nd update. The first update will allow importing into BlackBerry Link.

It's coming, but it will take some time.
    02-18-13 07:27 AM

You do realise that the article you just quoted is from February of 2012, right?
    02-18-13 07:32 AM

Android has never had native two-way sync (Calendar, Contacts, Notes, Tasks) with Outlook as far as I can recall. It's always had to use a third party software or cloud service and even those have been less than stellar. This is one of the things that has kept me on BB over the years, ironically enough.
    02-18-13 07:49 AM
    The z10 Is my first smart phone and I really think it is user friendly for those that are tech challenged. That said I use mu outlook on my pc for everything and especially tasks mgt. I may have chosen a different phone had I known about the lack of sync ability but it seems to be a trend that things are going wireless and that Microsoft is being choosy on who to work with. Using the instructions use Outlook connector I was able to sync my email contacts and calender wirelessly but no tasks. For now I am using another app to manage tasks. Hoping an app to sync will come out from BlackBerry or others specific to outlook tasks!!!
    jonefraser likes this.
    02-25-13 12:52 AM
    This has been discussed in every aspect .

Happily, Blackberry has now promised that Windows Outlook will sync very soon! Hopefully within a month.

Legal restrictions require some types of businesses to only sync directly, not thru the internet.

I can't buy and use Z10 without this feature!
    02-25-13 01:07 AM
    This has been discussed in every aspect .

Happily, Blackberry has now promised that Windows Outlook will sync very soon! Hopefully within a month.

Legal restrictions require some types of businesses to only sync directly, not thru the internet.

I can't buy and use Z10 without this feature!
    Any sources to prove this?
    02-25-13 11:21 AM
    Any sources to prove this?
    Working with three letter acronym government agencies but if I showed you the contract stipulations the black suits would show up at your door
    02-25-13 11:35 AM
    Confidentiality requirements for CPA's for one. We can't expose client information. Outlook.com is too open to satisfy strict confidentiality requirements. I wish I could use it!
    Also, possibility for hacking of customer lists is always subject to government oversight.
    If Outlook.com was OK, who would need security provided by Blackberry?
    02-25-13 11:49 AM
    Pardon my ignorance as I still don't understand this... if "security" at your workplace is that paramount, are you guys trying to use a personal device for work and looking for a workaround? Because for my work, the people who need security and have regulatory requirements use BES and the rest of us are on Activesync. BES10 uses an AES256 encrypted tunnel while EAS is still encrypted but uses SSL since it's used over HTTPS. And end-to-end security even with EAS is a lot more secure than downloading PIM onto a device that may be insecure.
    02-25-13 12:24 PM
    if "security" at your workplace is that paramount, are you guys trying to use a personal device for work and looking for a workaround? Because for my work, the people who need security and have regulatory requirements use BES and the rest of us are on Activesync. BES10 uses an AES256 encrypted tunnel while EAS is still encrypted but uses SSL since it's used over HTTPS. And end-to-end security even with EAS is a lot more secure than downloading PIM onto a device that may be insecure.
    I agree with you about the false priorities claiming to be concerned about security, then doing other things that are anything but secure. (Such as an old, unpatched computer loaded with security vulnerabilities that you are using to sync Outlook on, or using un-managed personal devices for work purposes.)

However in regards to the form of encryption BES10 uses: it is my impression that BES10 now uses ActiveSync as well, no more MAPI link to email servers. AES256 cipher is commonly used on SSL links, SSL can be used with a variety of different ciphers.

Assuming a solid certificate for the ActiveSync link, I don't think the encryption cipher itself is usually the weak link. Usually the problem is going to be exposing servers to the internet without proper precautions and best practices, including staying up to date with software patches and monitoring/reporting suspicious traffic. I've seen a flowchart about the BES10 architecture, can't remember but I thought with ActiveSync the mobile devices were connecting directly to the MS Exchange server, the BES10 link was all done behind the firewall.

Confidentiality requirements for CPA's for one. We can't expose client information. Outlook.com is too open to satisfy strict confidentiality requirements. I wish I could use it!
    Why would anyone who deals with sensitive/confidential email traffic even consider a freebie service of ANY kind for that purpose? There are plenty of real, commercial email services, if you need better reliability and security than a freebie service would provide.

Please don't tell me you're sending/receiving that confidential email traffic over unencrypted SMTP and POP connections, and then fooling yourself into thinking it's "secure" because you're using BIS, or syncing it with a local PC of unknown security profile.
    02-25-13 05:16 PM
    If I understood the Enterprise Forum talks correctly, BES10 uses ActiveSync through an AES256 tunnel. Basically a "proprietary" way of doing EAS over VPN with additional protocols and features implemented. But imagine supporting and walking through users on how to set up and connecting to a VPN before it can get email!
    02-25-13 05:59 PM
    If I understood the Enterprise Forum talks correctly, BES10 uses ActiveSync through an AES256 tunnel. Basically a "proprietary" way of doing EAS over VPN with additional protocols and features implemented. But imagine supporting and walking through users on how to set up and connecting to a VPN before it can get email!

You may be right about that, I vaguely remember something along those lines, now that you mention it.

As far as the whole "VPN" thing - I'm guessing it's just baked-in to the BES solution so it "just works". When you are in control of the architecture from end-to-end, that's one of the advantages: implement fancy stuff that the user not only won't necessarily have to setup or manage - in many cases they are probably blissfully ignorant of its very existence...

If that's what they are doing it would make sense, since one of the biggest liabilities of running something where you have a mail server (especially a Microsoft mail server) connected to the Internet is some sort of zero-day exploit pwning your mail server. If the whole thing is wrapped in a VPN, it prevents script-kiddies from running port-scans looking for publicly open servers that happen to have unpatched vulnerabilities, among other things.
    02-25-13 10:01 PM
    Moved to BB10 OS forum
    02-25-13 11:13 PM
    You can still sync your z10 with corporate outlook (internal only) if you have vpn and OWA access within your corporate network.

To do this activate the vpn option in your outlook advanced during email setup - NOT basic setup.

Of course your environment also needs to support vpn.

BesAdmin Z10 User
    02-26-13 01:54 AM
    You can still sync your z10 with corporate outlook (internal only) if you have vpn and OWA access within your corporate network.
    This thread isn't about "corporate outlook". What the heck is "corporate outlook" anyway? Exchange?
    02-26-13 02:31 AM
    This thread isn't about "corporate outlook". What the heck is "corporate outlook" anyway? Exchange?
    Yes, exchange server mailbox using mapi outlook client as opposed to gmail type mailbox using pop3 outlook client. Corporate use only meaning mailbox is behind firewall with no published EAS.

BesAdmin Z10 User
    02-26-13 03:06 AM
    Thank you for highlighting this problem, one which is serious and of un-necessary frustration. While I have yet to return my unit, contact management was a core feature on my usage of my BB Storm 9530. I find it hard to believe this feature was overlooked on the Z10 and will turn to imaginative third parties for a solution, something I feel cheated on. If this does not work, the AAPL looms too.
    wehew
    03-09-13 01:03 PM
356 ... 910111213 ...