Agreed this is an essential requirement and surprised it wasn't there when I did my first link. I've been looking for days for some other BB desktop software that I MUST be missing since BB Link doesn't seem to offer anything useful and after reading way too many threads, have concluded that indeed it's not there and I might be shelling out $50 for third party software? Booo. While I do like the automatic connection over my local Wifi, I really need Outlook desktop syncing like everyone else who understands why it is essential for those of us who use real computers for work. And Balance. I hope BB is listening.
    Flatman likes this.
    02-07-13 05:53 PM
    Yep. That's why I'm looking to sync my desktop Outlook with my Gmail account, so I can then bring the Calendar to the Z10.
    I have used Google calender sync before between my PC and Gmail, works great, but Outlook does not behave properly without tweaking how certain fields act... tooooo much trouble!! So now I use Gmail only and my sync is one way Gmail to Outlook and 2 way Gmail to BB. Gmail and BB work pretty good together for syncing, only the odd issue pops up.
    02-07-13 06:04 PM
    I just went to the Companion Link website, 14$ is a monthly subscription fee! Yikes! or a one time fee of $50 per device! Give me a break, BB OS 5 - 7 does this for free.

This is a non solution.

Most all BlackBerry BB10 forums on the Internet are full of this complaints about this with idiots trolling the posters who don't specify usb sync to desktop Outlook. The trolls think the posters are talking Outlook.com, which they are not, so the threads start to get real confusing. And when someone tries to clarify the subject they start trolling that guy! Damn!

Then there's the young users that have no clue as to what MS Outlook is and they don't understand what's wrong with cloud syncing to gmail, etc. which confuses the thread even more. GAK!, reading these threads is a hair pulling experience.

All we, these guys, want to do is USB SYNC from a desktop PC with a PIM app like Microsoft Outlook to their BB10 phone or PlayBook Tablet without the intrusion of some online service, just like the older BlackBerry java based OS phones currently do for free and do it real well.

Us "old school" guys have either been burnt by having our identity stolen from an online service and are still suffering from it or we've read enough current news about services being hacked and their data stolen, that we do not trust any online provider with everything we've recorded in MS Outlook besides just names and email addresses.

This is not about problems with Gmail, or Yahoo, or Outlook.com, neither is it about problems with MS Outlook or access privileges, this is simply about USB syncing a new BB10 phone with a desktop PIM app. So please read the original post carefully before responding and adding confusion to a simple complaint.

Thank you.
    02-07-13 06:56 PM
    Don't even mention the PlayBook and the messed up BB10 Bridge app...
    ssbtech and Flatman like this.
    02-07-13 07:06 PM
    Spend $50 on the CompanionLink software
    ...and send a bill to Blackberry for it.
    ...Take them to Small Claims Court if you have to.

You would think this is not the time to save a few bucks for development and implementation of a feature that is demanded by so many users.

To those who say "no big deal" or "other plattforms don't offer it either, so get used to it" :

Blackberries existence is dependent on this launch (not of it's users) and so therefore it is in Blackberries interest to sell as many phones as possible within the shortest period of time.

If users are not convinced about the features, users might delay their purchase far enough, that this phone might flop before even Blackberry could take off again and could be cut off from life support.
    Bondte and richardat like this.
    02-07-13 07:08 PM
    Us "old school" guys have either been burnt by having our identity stolen from an online service and are still suffering from it or we've read enough current news about services being hacked and their data stolen, that we do not trust any online provider with everything we've recorded in MS Outlook besides just names and email addresses.
    Also let's not forget how many times we already had simply service outages. Do supporters of cloud based services really expect businesses to go on hold in case that happens again? We all know outages will happen.
    02-07-13 07:15 PM
    Also let's not forget how many times we already had simply service outages. Do supporters of cloud based services really expect businesses to go on hold in case that happens again? We all know outages will happen.
    When that happens, your stuff (calendar, contacts, email) isnt going to disappear from your device. When the outage is over, you'll sync with your phone again -- seamlessly.

I used to sync my iPhone via iTunes, and BB Pearl via DM before that. And then I got moved to the enterprise server at work and was able to use Exchange ActiveSync. Wow. I absolutely love it and would never go back. My personal email resides on outlook.com and gmail and the syncing has been flawless (on my iPhone and PlayBook). I totally get why some people are upset, but I bet some of you (like me) will be happy once you cut the USB syncing cord.
    Last edited by lotuslanderz; 02-08-13 at 03:42 AM. Reason: grammar!
    moonfalle likes this.
    02-07-13 09:40 PM
    Device switch worked like a charm to transfer all important data including calendar. Link works for pics and videos over wifi and currently using Outlook.com for calendar . The phone has a learning curve but the results are amazing. Take your time and enjoy making the change. I am convinced now that 90% of the old apps and setup I had are in place I will be more efficient using this mobile platform. Loving it. A super pumped z10 owner! (2 days with it and still discovering cool things.)
    02-07-13 09:49 PM
    Device switch worked like a charm to transfer all important data including calendar. Link works for pics and videos over wifi. The phone has a learning curve but the results are amazing. Take your time and enjoy making the change. I am convinced now that 90% of the old apps and setup I had are in place I will be more efficient using this mobile platform. Loving it. A super pumped z10 owner! (2 days with it and still discovering cool things.)
    That's great that the pics and music sync OK (as intended) but this thread is about those who are unable to get their contacts and calendars to sync with Outlook.
    02-07-13 09:52 PM
    Guys... seriously, I hate to break this to you, but direct sync over USB is dead.

Windows Phone doesn't do it anymore. BlackBerry doesn't do it anymore. iOS is phasing it out. Android doesn't do it anymore. Even Palm eliminated it in webOS and that was three years ago.

It's the floppy disk of 2013. Phasing out fast.

I hate to say this, but if you want the old-style USB sync, you need to stick with the old-style tech. That means BB7.

Longer term, you'll need to start figuring out how to migrate to the cloud, as even the kludges and compromises that keep modern smartphone platforms doing old-style cable sync will stop working or be phased out.
    moonfalle likes this.
    02-07-13 10:03 PM
    After all, even Outlook itself is being migrated to a cloud-based service. Under Office 365, all your contacts, appointments, etc. live on the Office 365 server.

Outlook 2013 is likely the last version of Outlook that works the "classic" way.
    02-07-13 10:07 PM
    Until there's a massive outcry...
    02-07-13 10:23 PM
    To all those who want the USB sync tool to be included, I understand, change is hard sometimes. I want to point out though that your email already I'm pretty sure is not solely in your desktop outlook. The chances are it is still "out there" in the cloud, most like on your ISP's server. It's sitting there out in the cloud and nobody has access to it. If you shut off "saving on the server" options, you are really putting yourself in jeopardy to lose your data. The best thing to do and most folks are adopting this approach is too have multiple copies synced in the cloud, as well as on there desktop. So embrace the future, link your accounts, sync across devices... it's what we could only have imagined a few years back and it's very exciting.
    P.S. what I do is sync my ISP account to outlook.com, which syncs my desktop outlook, which syncs to my phone and tablet... it's perfect. I use Outlook 2013 as well and it now has the capability to sink tasks, so highly recommend using that as well. You put a task on your phone... it's on your desktop.. boom) can't get any better.
    02-07-13 10:37 PM
    No, it's not perfect, it's a mess. And as soon as one thing gets out of sync for one reason or another, it's a bigger mess.

I keep my data in one location and back it up regularly. Important documents that I need saved off-site (such as insurance documents that could be destroyed in a disaster) all get encrypted before I upload them to a cloud drive.
    02-07-13 10:40 PM
    Here's a question to the OP...

If your work doesn't allow data to be in "the cloud," wouldn't they flip if they knew their data is on a personal phone? The policy doesn't really make sense. I'd understand if they only want work-provided phones on their email (BES or EAS) The whole point with BES10 and to a certain extent EAS, is that the company has control over their data and the ability to remotely monitor and wipe.

Your work can easily authorize your Z10 on EAS. It doesn't cost them a cent unlike a BES CAL. And you retain full control of your phone as well.
    02-07-13 11:23 PM
    I was getting worried and disappointed while reading the first part of this thread, thinking that my Outlook contacts would have to be input manually to my eventual Q10. Then I realized this does not pertain to Outlook users with Exchange. Thank goodness! I'm also really glad I can eventually abandon that stupid program called Blackberry Desktop Manager!
    02-08-13 12:12 AM
    I'm also really glad I can eventually abandon that stupid program called Blackberry Desktop Manager!
    It's only stupid if you want it to be. For others it's the only acceptable choice.

While I find Desktop Manager to sometimes be a little finicky, it allows me to work just the way I want to. I was hoping to see expanded syncing support between PC and device including WiFi sync of calendar and contacts.
    Dickster27 likes this.
    02-08-13 12:25 AM
    Here's a question to the OP...

If your work doesn't allow data to be in "the cloud," wouldn't they flip if they knew their data is on a personal phone? The policy doesn't really make sense. I'd understand if they only want work-provided phones on their email (BES or EAS) The whole point with BES10 and to a certain extent EAS, is that the company has control over their data and the ability to remotely monitor and wipe.

Your work can easily authorize your Z10 on EAS. It doesn't cost them a cent unlike a BES CAL. And you retain full control of your phone as well.
    At what point did the OP say this was for work email? Or that an Exchange server was even present as an option?
    Rooster99 likes this.
    02-08-13 05:53 AM
    This issue from the getco was with my PERSONAL email, contacts, memos and tasks my CORPORATE Outlook is on BES server I guess as it syncs with my 9900 instantly
    My CORPORATE email, contacts, memos and tasks works fine both on my work PC and 9900
    As I said earlier, my corporate employer is quite a large CDN corporation and they have not switched yet to BB10 and are still testing
    Everybody is not a BB supporter
    I do have a life outside my work and have a need for Outlook
    It is a great programme and it still syncs via bluetooth to my 9900 that I am sticking with now that Blackberry has let me down and millions others
    Maybe Android & IPhone have gone away from syncing to the PC but BB had not until they introduced BB10 and that is why they HAD such a strong following
    This may change unless they correct this major blunder
    It just SHOCKS me that they were not upfront in ANY of their advance communication on the internet or to providers
    As I said earlier, Bell Mobility found out AFTER the launch and it was not mentioned in any of the training
    I have tried the google calendar and Outlook.com and these programmes are dinasours compared to what Outlook can do and slow
    02-08-13 07:26 AM
    I have tried the google calendar and Outlook.com and these programmes are dinasours compared to what Outlook can do and slow
    With Outlook.com though, once it's setup to sync with your desktop Outlook install and your Z10, you should not even have to bother going into the Outlook.com web interface ever again. The info should just flow back and forth between Z10 and desktop Outlook via the outlook.com services. I'm warming up to this setup, but need to give it more time to test out and see if there are any shortcomings.
    02-08-13 07:44 AM
    With Outlook.com though, once it's setup to sync with your desktop Outlook install and your Z10, you should not even have to bother going into the Outlook.com web interface ever again. The info should just flow back and forth between Z10 and desktop Outlook via the outlook.com services. I'm warming up to this setup, but need to give it more time to test out and see if there are any shortcomings.
    Quick question... does your Outlook.com account get added to your OutlookPC as a "MAPI" account or a POP3 account? I added my outlook.com account sucessfully, but it adds as a MAPI account and doesn't give me any options to "Send/Receive" other than my "Inbox". I have the Hotmail Connector installed, which is supposed to help with syncing calendars/contacts, but doesn't seem to be doing anything. I checked the setting on my Outlook.com side and don't see anything that would affect things...
    02-08-13 08:40 AM
    Quick question... does your Outlook.com account get added to your OutlookPC as a "MAPI" account or a POP3 account? I added my outlook.com account sucessfully, but it adds as a MAPI account and doesn't give me any options to "Send/Receive" other than my "Inbox". I have the Hotmail Connector installed, which is supposed to help with syncing calendars/contacts, but doesn't seem to be doing anything. I checked the setting on my Outlook.com side and don't see anything that would affect things...
    When I added my outlook.com account to my Outlook install, it shows up as an "Exchange ActiveSync" account. So, then everything tied to it is sync'd. The calendar and contacts that are tied to the outlook.com account actually show as "connected" to the outlook.com server when I'm in Outlook and have an internet connection active, just like an Exchange account would be.
    02-08-13 09:23 AM
    Thanks for your effort, but as far as Blackberry goes:

Instead of telling people what's good for them, how about Blackberry including the sync feature for those who want it. For an investment of a cent or two.

E.g. Apple told me I don't need a CD/DVD drive and a removable battery on the new MacBook retina. So I did not buy a MacBook Retina.

You want my business? Include the features that I want. It's that simple.
    Dickster27 and ssbtech like this.
    02-08-13 09:27 AM
    I was having trouble with me emails, I granted BlackBerry Tech support access through my Gmail account and they discovered a serious flaw and advised me to take it back in. Before I took the Z10 in I backed it up on BlackBerry Link and when I got my replacement the first thing I noticed when I got home was half of the Hub is in French, I decided to restore it from my recent backup and nothing happened adding to that I had my previous BlackBerry 9900 with me which I backed up on BlackBerry Desk Top Manager before getting the Z10. The genius somehow did a security wipe on that phone when he was trying to switch my number temporarily over back to it so when I got home and tried to restore that phone it didn't work so I've probably lost everything and I now have to go back again and hopefully deal with someone who knows what he's doing!
    02-08-13 09:30 AM
    To all the smart clever techno people out there. WE DONT WANT TO SYNC CALNDER TASKS CONTACTS THROUGH GOOGLE OR OUTLOOK.COM WE JUST WANT TO SIMPLY USE THE DESKTOP MANAGER AS WE HAVE DONE FOR YEARS.
    ssbtech, Rooster99 and Dickster27 like this.
    02-08-13 12:21 PM
356 ... 678910 ...