Will the A10 be much better then the Z10? Spec wise, will it completely dominate it or will it be around equal specs with a bigger screen?

Posted Via CB on my Z10
    06-28-13 11:01 PM
    It's supposed to have a bigger screen than the Z10, but its resolution will be lower. It's also supposed to have a quad core processor, however the generation of the soc is unknown... although knowing blackberry, don't expect an S800.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 11:18 PM
    I don't know. I can say, for me at least, the speed and size of the Z is perfect. But I hope those who want a larger device find the new BlackBerry to be what they are looking for.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 11:21 PM
    It's supposed to have a bigger screen than the Z10, but its resolution will be lower. It's also supposed to have a quad core processor, however the generation of the soc is unknown... although knowing blackberry, don't expect an S800.

Posted via CB10
    Why a lower resolution?

Posted with my AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    06-29-13 12:15 AM
    Will the A10 be much better then the Z10? Spec wise, will it completely dominate it or will it be around equal specs with a bigger screen?

Posted Via CB on my Z10
    Right now, without facts, anything would be mostly speculative. There are folks eager to find out, though....
    06-29-13 12:22 AM
    Why a lower resolution?

Posted with my AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    Cause that's how BlackBerry rolls! Keep moving backwards yall.

But no, seriously the A10 will have a 720p screen. The lower resolution and larger screen size will equal much lower pixel density than what the Z10 currently offers. BlackBerry claims that they will stick with 720p to make it easier for developers.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    06-29-13 01:29 AM
    It would be foolish to release a device with anything less than a 1080p screen - even mid tier Chinese brands are hitting 5" 1080p. It's the new normal. BlackBerry does not want to be hitting the holiday season with anything less than a competitor...

As it is, the iphone 5s (or whatever they'll call it) will be picking up at that time, as will whatever else is on the market - 720p screen? In that environment BlackBerry will get slaughtered. But then it's likely apple will sell more devices, in a short period, that BlackBerry will sell bb10 devices in a year. BlackBerry isn't competing at the moment. If they want to they'd better step up... please!!!

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    06-29-13 05:13 AM
    It would be foolish to release a device with anything less than a 1080p screen - even mid tier Chinese brands are hitting 5" 1080p. It's the new normal. BlackBerry does not want to be hitting the holiday season with anything less than a competitor...

As it is, the iphone 5s (or whatever they'll call it) will be picking up at that time, as will whatever else is on the market - 720p screen? In that environment BlackBerry will get slaughtered. But then it's likely apple will sell more devices, in a short period, that BlackBerry will sell bb10 devices in a year. BlackBerry isn't competing at the moment. If they want to they'd better step up... please!!!

You do know that someone with 20/20 vision can't see the difference between a 720 and 1080 screen on screens of 5 inches or less? The 5s won't even have a HD screen.
    06-29-13 05:32 AM
    Only power source matters.
    BIGGER BATTERIES PLEASE!
    Rest of spec is not so important, look on apple, smooth system-and small steps in spec improvement (battery not follow trough).

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 06:18 AM
    It will sell the same as or worse then the Z10. Mark it down.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    06-29-13 06:31 AM
    You do know that someone with 20/20 vision can't see the difference between a 720 and 1080 screen on screens of 5 inches or less? The 5s won't even have a HD screen.
    Since when is that ever the point. In fact I don't see your point. People buy on perception - magic numbers and specs that have no bearing on reality!

The term "retina" on an I device is balony. People buy it on droves. That's why I mentioned specs. Who the hell needs 1080p on a 5 inch screen. On 60" sure.

But perception, and that magic that only a billion dollar marketing campaign can bring: that creates the vaunted perception filter that attracts millions.

No offence to you, however BlackBerry has a perception problem. Your point about physical reality has no bearing on sales. That's why BlackBerry got hammered. They should not listen to level headed people like you or I - people that know and understand physics and reality - they need to be pitching to those that want cyber rainbow unicorns with 1080p eyeballs. There are more of 'em ;-)

Manish Chaudhary likes this.
    06-29-13 08:06 AM
    It will sell the same as or worse then the Z10. Mark it down.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    Sadly I have.

06-29-13 08:07 AM
    Screen resolution beyond human perception is simply a waste of battery power. With that said, specsmanship games are common and used as marketing tools, and they work too.

Every pixel of resolution requires power to drive it, and what people seem to miss is that POWER BUDGETS MATTER. In fact, they're THE big deal in a mobile device.

Samsung went to a MUCH larger battery with the S4 -- they had to. The OLED technology is a power PIG and while it's ok in the Q10 because the size is relatively small the total pixel count goes up fast as size increases and thus so does the power budget. That's bad.

What BlackBerry has managed to do with the Z10 is pretty amazing. The IPS panel they're using is astoundingly clear and like all IPS panels has awesome off-axis color fidelity. The bug-a-boo for IPS panels has always been illumination levels; because there are TWO planes of switching rather than one for the light to pass through (as with a TFT panel) they cannot reach the same brightness. BlackBerry did a bangup job with the Z10 however, in that it's the first smartphone I've used that is actually readable in full sunlight -- the Samsung OLED models are NOT and neither is the iPhone. The price of this is that the power budget gets blown out somewhat in very high ambient light conditions but they put enough illumination behind the panel to get where they needed to and then properly-calibrated the ambient light sensor to make it seamless; the light level doesn't "breathe" as do many other devices.

I personally like the formfactor of the Z10 as it is usable one-handed. The Galaxy S-II models are barely in that camp; the S3 and S4 are both larger and both run the risk of being dropped if you try to use them single-handed. In addition as a guy who doesn't wear "huge pocket" pants all the time they're just a bit too large for me, especially with a slimline (e.g. TPU or silicone rubber) protective case, which I insist on using on my devices.

For these reasons I doubt I'll be interested in the A10, but I will look at it.
    06-29-13 11:05 AM