10-31-13 09:13 PM
132 123 ...
tools
    Hi all,

I've recently switched over from my old Samsung Galaxy S device to a brand new BB Z10 and having issues in regards to emails. I have a work email account for my corporate emals setup through Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. I've set it up manually exactly the same way I've had it on my Android device. Back on Samsung I've had emails pushed through with no delays at all - sync worked just perfect. Surprisingly with Z10 I'm eperiencing sometimes huge delays when I don't receive anything on my phone for a few hours and then suddenly I've got a whole bunch of email time-stamped in the interval of those past few hours. Then after some time push stops working completely - even when I try to manually refresh emails on my Z10 it does nothing until I re-setup the exchange account. And it really is a pain in the *** - not what I've expected from BB. ActiveSync is setup on BB absolutely the same way as on SGS - manually enterred login/password/server/port/SSL etc. But the difference might be a deal breaker here. I use my phone for work only. Interesting enough - when I send an email from Exchange account to my Gmail - it sends off instantly and I receive it on Gmail within seconds (on my phone as well). But unfortunately it doesn't work the other way around. I own an unlocked Z10 STL100-2 bought in UK running 10.0.10.90 OS.

Tried searching the forums, but haven't find a workable solution so forgive me for starting this thread if the answer is somewhere on the web. I'm doing it in hope that someone will point me in the right direction.
    05-04-13 11:27 AM
    Hi all,

I've recently switched over from my old Samsung Galaxy S device to a brand new BB Z10 and having issues in regards to emails. I have a work email account for my corporate emals setup through Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. I've set it up manually exactly the same way I've had it on my Android device. Back on Samsung I've had emails pushed through with no delays at all - sync worked just perfect. Surprisingly with Z10 I'm eperiencing sometimes huge delays when I don't receive anything on my phone for a few hours and then suddenly I've got a whole bunch of email time-stamped in the interval of those past few hours. Then after some time push stops working completely - even when I try to manually refresh emails on my Z10 it does nothing until I re-setup the exchange account. And it really is a pain in the *** - not what I've expected from BB. ActiveSync is setup on BB absolutely the same way as on SGS - manually enterred login/password/server/port/SSL etc. But the difference might be a deal breaker here. I use my phone for work only. Interesting enough - when I send an email from Exchange account to my Gmail - it sends off instantly and I receive it on Gmail within seconds (on my phone as well). But unfortunately it doesn't work the other way around. I own an unlocked Z10 STL100-2 bought in UK running 10.0.10.90 OS.

Tried searching the forums, but haven't find a workable solution so forgive me for starting this thread if the answer is somewhere on the web. I'm doing it in hope that someone will point me in the right direction.
    Since it's ActiveSync why not try the simple setup method of username and password instead of entering the information manually?
    05-04-13 11:36 AM
    Since it's ActiveSync why not try the simple setup method of username and password instead of entering the information manually?
    It won't let me do that. It says make sure your email address and password are entered correctly. And I did make sure they are.
    05-04-13 11:46 AM
    Could be something that may be fixed in 10.1? I know there were some issues with it but don't remember them from reading.
    05-04-13 11:50 AM
    My exchange server sends them to my z10 immediately every time. I would do like the other post says delete the account and just enter the email account and password. At the very most you should only have to enter the server Addy, no ports, ssl or anything. BlackBerry and exchange are like pancakes and syrup, they work best together. Lol

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 11:51 AM
    My exchange server sends them to my z10 immediately every time. I would do like the other post says delete the account and just enter the email account and password. At the very most you should only have to enter the server Addy, no ports, ssl or anything. BlackBerry and exchange are like pancakes and syrup, they work best together. Lol

Posted via CB10
    Actually all I'm entering to set it up is login, password and server, everything else is there by default. It works seamlessly for a few hours or minutes and then starts lagging. Sincerely hope it will be fixed with a 10.1 but also want to get it fixed before it comes out. I'm a bit scared to install leaks at the moment. What version of OS are you running?
    05-04-13 12:02 PM
    I have also noticed this delay compared to my iPhone 5. When I look at the server info, it says ActiveSync version 14 from the Z10 an version 14.1 from the iPhone.

I think this is also the reason, why answered emails don't show as answered in Outlook (or OWA) when this is done with the BlackBerry. But they do when I answer an email with my iPhone or the iPad.
    05-04-13 12:12 PM
    Actually all I'm entering to set it up is login, password and server, everything else is there by default. It works seamlessly for a few hours or minutes and then starts lagging. Sincerely hope it will be fixed with a 10.1 but also want to get it fixed before it comes out. I'm a bit scared to install leaks at the moment. What version of OS are you running?
    I was running stock until a few days ago. Now I'm on 1627. Even on stock I had no issues with Active Sync. The only ActiveSync Policy I can think of that would be doing this is the "Require manual synchronization while roaming" policy. You may want to have your IT dept or mail provider check that setting. There may be other setting server side causing this as well.
    I love Active Sync. I get my email on my Z10 before my Exchange Connected Outlook client gets them.
    05-04-13 12:13 PM
    I have also noticed this delay compared to my iPhone 5. When I look at the server info, it says ActiveSync version 14 from the Z10 an version 14.1 from the iPhone.

I think this is also the reason, why answered emails don't show as answered in Outlook (or OWA) when this is done with the BlackBerry. But they do when I answer an email with my iPhone or the iPad.
    If they are looking at the same server they should see the same version. Ver 14 is Exchange 2010. Ver 14.1 is Exchange 2010 with SP1. Ver 14.2 is 2010 SP2
    05-04-13 12:16 PM
    I was running stock until a few days ago. Now I'm on 1627. Even on stock I had no issues with Active Sync. The only ActiveSync Policy I can think of that would be doing this is the "Require manual synchronization while roaming" policy. You may want to have your IT dept or mail provider check that setting. There may be other setting server side causing this as well.
    I love Active Sync. I get my email on my Z10 before my Exchange Connected Outlook client gets them.
    Correct me if I'm wrong - how can server side causing issues with Z10 when it doesn't cause it on Android with absolutely the same settings?
    05-04-13 12:24 PM

How do you check server info on your Z10?
    05-04-13 12:26 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong - how can server side causing issues with Z10 when it doesn't cause it on Android with absolutely the same settings?
    You're not wrong but when troubleshooting one must explore all possibilities.
    05-04-13 12:31 PM
    How do you check server info on your Z10?
    https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com
    anon(2729369) likes this.
    05-04-13 12:33 PM
    If they are looking at the same server they should see the same version. Ver 14 is Exchange 2010. Ver 14.1 is Exchange 2010 with SP1. Ver 14.2 is 2010 SP2
    Both are looking to the same server of course, but this is the AES version of the devices (Z10/iPhone 5) I think. BlackBerry is using an older one than Apple, maybe that's the reason for the (sometimes massive) delay and also the missing mark for answered or forwarded mails.

I'll post a screenshot on Monday when I'm back in my office.
    05-04-13 12:33 PM
    If your Exchange guys are using AutoDiscover properly all you need is the emails account and password.
    05-04-13 12:34 PM
    While not your issue, here are some troubleshooting steps from Apple on the issue that might spark an idea:
    iOS: Troubleshooting Exchange ActiveSync 'Push' issues
    Also I suggest you log into OWA and enable logging for your phone when this occurs. The steps while in a different topic (remote search) are detailed here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...search-789512/
    I'm thinking it might be a good idea to wait until your refreshing isn't working right and then try the logging to see if your device is even talking to the server. It could be your device is getting hung up on another account like the Apple article references (again I know this isn't an iPhone issue, just using it as an example of things to think of).
    05-04-13 02:43 PM
    Just to chime in I have zero lag time for mail from my work exchange server on my Z10 or my Q10... you have push toggled to on in the account setup?

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 04:37 PM
    I have noticed some lag between the device and the server. I use 10.1 do I am having doubts it Os specific.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 05:38 PM

Those higher versions of EAS mostly add esoteric features that have little to nothing to do with basic functionality like getting timely email notifications or syncs. Different exchange server revisions contain different EAS revision #s, but the clients state their compatibility level when connecting too.

See above. EAS clients also state their compatibility level when connecting - indeed as part of every single request.

Version negotiation in Exchange ActiveSync

Since Apple is the only smartphone platform vendor I am aware of that pays Microsoft to officially certify its EAS compliance, it's not too surprising that they keep up with the latest point releases in order to maintain that certification. Though I don't think 14.2 actually added any major functionality over 14.1.

Because there are a variety of parameters that are passed to the server during EAS negotiation which the server can use to selectively control how it interacts with that specific client. Exchange administrators can selectively allow, block, adjust or throttle connections based on attributes like operating system version, device type, specific hardware device (ie they could allow or block your Z10, but not your co-workers Z10), all sorts of things.

One of the problems with any new platform when you have to connect to a remote system that has that much control over what it connects to and how it connects, is that until the people who operate that system learn about the new platform, they may in some cases inadvertently block or restrict access because of policies that don't have any effect on platforms or devices that they more commonly work with. (Same kind of thing happens when trying to open webpages with an uncommon web browser: lots of web designers tweak their page content depending on what type and version of browser is loading it, and if they've never seen "browser X" before, they might serve it content that it cannot render properly.)

EAS is a very complex protocol, there are lots of places where things can go wrong.

The link below is a special test page provided by Blackberry for users to check that their email server settings are correct. It's a good complement to the Microsoft page mkelly65 posted a link to earlier in the thread:

https://consumersupport.webapps.blac....php?page=form
    Last edited by Omnitech; 05-04-13 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Minor typo
    05-04-13 11:11 PM
    I get EAS account email almost instantaneously- in fact, my Z10 gets it before my computer or any other device I have...
    05-05-13 12:12 AM
    After some tinkering around I've set sync period to 2 weeks and switched off syncing everything except for emails and calendar. Push seems to be stable since yesterday's night. All folders are syncing within seconds. I just hope it'll stay that way...
    05-05-13 12:42 AM
    After some tinkering around I've set sync period to 2 weeks and switched off syncing everything except for emails and calendar. Push seems to be stable since yesterday's night. All folders are syncing within seconds. I just hope it'll stay that way...

When you say you shut off syncing "everything", what exactly did you disable? Just contacts? Or do you mean you turned-off some other functions like social networking feeds and so on? Or disabled syncing all folders, or ?

Glad it's working better for you now, hopefully it will stay that way...
    05-05-13 01:06 AM
    Since Apple is the only smartphone platform vendor I am aware of that pays Microsoft to officially certify its EAS compliance, it's not too surprising that they keep up with the latest point releases in order to maintain that certification. Though I don't think 14.2 actually added any major functionality over 14.1.
    Everyone who uses EAS has to pay Microsoft a license fee. No matter if this is Apple, BlackBerry, HTC, Motorola, Samsung or any other vendor.

But what is the point of missing features like marking answered or forwarded emails? Is this only, because BlackBerry has this bad implemented in OS10 or is it, because they're using an older version of EAS (that's what I think).

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 02:44 AM
    When you say you shut off syncing "everything", what exactly did you disable? Just contacts? Or do you mean you turned-off some other functions like social networking feeds and so on? Or disabled syncing all folders, or ?

Glad it's working better for you now, hopefully it will stay that way...
    I meant I shut off everything in Exchange account settings - sync tasks, memos. I've left emails, contacts and calendar only. I'm also syncing only few specific folders I use most.
    05-05-13 03:07 AM
    Everyone who uses EAS has to pay Microsoft a license fee. No matter if this is Apple, BlackBerry, HTC, Motorola, Samsung or any other vendor.

But what is the point of missing features like marking answered or forwarded emails? Is this only, because BlackBerry has this bad implemented in OS10 or is it, because they're using an older version of EAS (that's what I think).

Posted via CB10
    It's up to each device manufacturer to determine what features and functionality to implement.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compa...veSync_Clients

I agree that not implementing some of them make no sense, but them again I'm not the one building the OS and associated applications.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 06:22 AM
132 123 ...