I know the z10 has 2g of ram... And whenever i reboot mine (or it reboots itself) i see 1.3g...not a big deal since i figured the rest was for os resources like syncing, browser speed, apps, etc.... As i write this i went from 1.3 this morning to 1,006.5mb... This became a major issue with my bold 9700 causing it to freeze every so often and the main reason i bought a z10 thinking i wouldn't have to go through that again... So i'm left thinking if memory consumption is normal for these phones. Does it fluctuate? Will it eventually hit 0mb and freeze?... Say it ain't so cause that alone will be enough to make me return it.
    Last edited by omega supreme; 04-11-13 at 08:50 PM.
    04-11-13 07:36 PM
    That's completely normal. Legacy BlackBerry OS used RAM differently then bb10 does. There are no memory leaks.

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    omega supreme likes this.
    04-11-13 07:46 PM
    I had my BlackBerry 10 since the Canadian launch and one thing not to worry is RAM. It would fluctuate a lot and I even brought it down to 200 meg. Then when I close the apps it goes back up to 1 gig, sometime even 1.2

And the device never slows down! And no freezing.

Sometime I think it's even good to bring the memory down cause it would force the OS to clear process that where still hanging in memory

Posted via CB10
    omega supreme likes this.
    04-11-13 07:49 PM
    So i'm left thinking if memory consumption is normal for these phones. Does it fluctuate? Will it eventually hit 0mb and freeze?... Say it ain't so cause that alone will be enough to make me return it.
    It ain't so.

Think of it this way: not using some of that RAM would be inefficient. RAM can be used for all sorts of things, and especially caching stuff. Caching makes stuff launch and run faster, and saves power. You actually want the OS to suck up a bunch of that RAM, at least to a point, as long as it's making effective use of it (and, obviously, can reclaim some of it when needed to load another app).

Anyway, I think there are people here who haven't rebooted since the last update, and I expect they would see close to 1GB free again if they closed all apps. Nothing wrong with that.
    slotime and omega supreme like this.
    04-11-13 08:20 PM
    I see, i thought it would be similar to the bold (is that what they mean by legacy devices?)...my 9700 came with 256mb of ram i believe it used much of that for app space as well as other things to the point where it would tell me i don't have enough memory and prompted me to delete some apps...even doing so the memory would reach 0 and i would have to pull the battery about every 2 days just to gain some of it back...needless to say it was very frustrating picking up your phone to make a call and find it frozen, or have it take about 5 minutes to wake up...seeing the ram memory on the z10 gave me bad flashbacks a kin to war veteran's flashbacks that makes them wake up in a heavy sweat...

...you all can close this thread now.
    04-11-13 09:03 PM
    That's completely normal. Legacy BlackBerry OS used RAM differently then bb10 does. There are no memory leaks.
    I disagree. It's a version 1.0 OS, of course it is completely normal to have a couple of memory leaks here and there --- that will be fixed by .01 updates. Even the iphone will face a few memory leaks here and there when they do a major OS update --- that's why they have something like iOS 6.0.1
    04-11-13 09:29 PM
    How are you sure? What analysis did you use?

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 02:43 AM

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    How do you know this?

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 02:43 AM
    How do you know this?

Posted via CB10
    My phones had been on for 3 weeks now (I think the last reboot was an update) and i follow the available RAM carefully. It would fluctuate from 200 meg to easily 1 GB. QNX seems to be very good at managing memory.

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-12-13 06:20 AM
    I haven't rebooted my z10 for about 3 weeks now and I have 5 active frames running at all times and my memory goes down to about 600mb but the phone still chugs along nicely and smoothly and hasn't slowed me down once.

BlackBerry 10 is so much more efficient than the older bb's at handling memory. And I'm not seeing any huge memory leaks ie I don't see my memory go lower than 600mb.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 07:09 AM