What's with all the rude comments? The first few people who replied also did not know that "Work" can't access the SD drive like the OP, who never claimed to be a programmer or IT.
    richardat and Andrew4life like this.
    03-07-13 09:16 PM
    What's with all the rude comments? The first few people who replied also did not know that "Work" can't access the SD drive like the OP, who never claimed to be a programmer or IT.
    Let me explain then.

When you are making inflammatory claims about a product in a place that is primarily frequented by users and fans of the product, and when those claims are not only false but defamatory to a product's deserved reputation (in this case - basically the most secure general-purpose smartphone in the world), does it really come as a surprise to you that the people there would not be happy about that?

Blackberry supporters these days often have a short fuse when it comes to random Blackberry bashing, because there has been a h*ll of a lot of irrational, unwarranted, over-the-top criticisms of the company and the platform the last few years, many of them resorting to blatant lies in order to try to malign the product or company. I don't blame them at all for being sensitive about the issue.

Neither do I see the point of someone like you backing-up someone else who makes irresponsible and inflammatory claims about a product.

If a person was a technology ignoramus, then they shouldn't come into technology forums making grand sweeping pronouncements. They should be humble, they should present a post more along the lines of "My I.T. people say there is something wrong with the security of Blackberry. Is that true?" Otherwise they are digging their own hole for themselves and jumping-in.
    03-07-13 09:42 PM
    Your IT dept. Is doing it wrong

Posted via CB10
    03-07-13 09:43 PM
    Go home IT department....Your Drunk.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-13 10:08 PM
    Wow.
    Z10 fails corporate security test [Updated]-img_00000386.png

Posted via CB10
    03-07-13 10:26 PM
    Yaaaaaa I'm smelling shenanigans here.

I'm nowhere even remotely close to being an IT person, and within a couple of seconds into reading the post I thought to myself "But you can't store the business side stuff on the SD card ".
    03-07-13 10:30 PM
    Wow.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000386.png 
Views:	1258 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	139727

Posted via CB10
    Well we know someone is going to get fired if this makes it to the public...

Posted via CB10
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    03-07-13 10:36 PM
    SD card security provisions are in place for both BES and the average user. Clearly.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-13 10:48 PM
    Honestly, I know we're all being hard on OP. But please, I implore you, Mr. OP, to double check your facts before randomly posting
    Its because of people like you that defame BBRY
    You can't blame BBRY for not writing everything to be iDiotproof, like the iOS devices...
    I mean do you really need to be spoonfed, and have people wipe your **** for everything?
    If you, and the many other BBRY bashers, stopped for 1 second and thought about what you posted, you'd realize how absurd some of the claims are.
    If BBRY isn't secure, then what is? iOS that can be jailbroken after 6 MAJOR revisions. Android, which can be rooted after 4 major revisions? BBRY QNX was rooted in the beta stage, then NEVER AGAIN. Fixed in 2 minor revisions, and NEVER on an official release...
    On top of THAT, from what you posted, you would assume then your IT department > government security? :S. I don't think so. No one in the right mind would claim that.
    That's my spiel. Take if with a grain of salt.
    R Field, m0de25 and jstirtzinger like this.
    03-07-13 10:53 PM
    I hope op's IT department knows BlackBerry Balance doesn't allow saving work related files in SD card. SD card is only allowed to be used if you are in personal.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-13 11:00 PM
    I hope op's IT department knows BlackBerry Balance doesn't allow saving work related files in SD card. SD card is only allowed to be used if you are in personal.

Posted via CB10
    I think we've all established the fact that OP's IT department has no idea what they are doing or what they are talking about
    Last edited by masterscarhead1; 03-07-13 at 11:02 PM. Reason: typo
    peter9477 and Bobcat665 like this.
    03-07-13 11:02 PM
    IT department was the failure here not the Z10!! You should let them know!
    The CEO of the OP's firm should terminate the CIO and all the IT minions involved in testing or reviewing BlackBerry Z10 and BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10. Mercy can be dispensed by God but in life stupidity must be punished harshly.
    drknobs and dracolnyte like this.
    03-07-13 11:07 PM
    Go home IT department....Your Drunk.

Posted via CB10
    The IT department, or at least those involved in this erroneous security validation process and report, should be terminated and since they work in the financial sector they should be blacklisted.
    03-07-13 11:14 PM
    and since they work in the financial sector they should be blacklisted.
    That always kills me.

I remember one time working with some 2nd-tier bank who was using some 3rd-party's banking portal solution.

In the process of testing it out to see whether it was going to cause me headaches on the computer(s) (I think it required some sort of local installation), I discovered that they were using a bogus x.509 certificate for "security". It was either expired, incomplete auth-chain, or self-signed, they had insecure elements on an HTTPS page, something wrong with the cert and/or page design. The kind of thing that would normally result in a warning popup in the browser. (But of course users all tend to ignore warning messages unless it covers their entire screen and prevents them from pressing any keyboard buttons or moving the mouse. Doesn't help when the vendors are all telling them "Oh, just ignore warning "X" and warning "Y", and click "OK" when it says 'THIS MAY HARM YOUR COMPUTER.'" Argggh.... DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!! )

Anyway, when I notified them of my concern, they made me sign an NDA before engaging in a conference-call to voice my observations with their app contractor on the line. Quite hilarious. They had no friggin idea what I was even talking about, that was how clueless they were. "Ummm... you're a bank, right? You don't want people breaking into people's financial accounts, right?"
    pcguy514 likes this.
    03-07-13 11:33 PM
    I've seen quite a lot of unwarranted bashing in my time here at CB, but honestly I don't think the responses in this thread fall under that category
    03-07-13 11:37 PM
    It sounds like the test program was done by a bunch of clowns.
    03-08-13 12:17 AM
    Actually i think the corp it group is pro-apple obviously
    03-08-13 12:25 AM
    The fact that you can remote wipe the SD card with BlackBerry Protect (Consumer only product) makes me think that the policy/feature is already present, or will be coming to BES 10 shortly. There are significant updates coming in the next few months, as announced by BlackBerry.
    Attached Thumbnails Z10 fails corporate security test [Updated]-bbprotect.jpg  
    03-08-13 12:27 AM
    Sounds like an article on the security features and the layers of protection would be helpful!
    03-08-13 12:32 AM
    The fact that you can remote wipe the SD card with BlackBerry Protect (Consumer only product) makes me think that the policy/feature is already present, or will be coming to BES 10 shortly. There are significant updates coming in the next few months, as announced by BlackBerry.
    That doesn't make any sense to me. That's like saying if the personal/"consumer" side has the ability to download illegal software via bittorrent, BES should allow that on the work side too.

Since clearly the MicroSD card is considered "personal" from the standpoint of BES, why would BES include a feature to ERASE PERSONAL DATA when the whole point of "Balance" is not to touch people's personal data?

The exception to that would be something like the SecuSmart solution that Germany is going to be deploying along with Z10's, where they provide a crypto chip in the format of a MicroSD card that in addition to the encryption/key functionality the card provides, also provides a secure/encryption-enforced small partition on the card for secure storage of corporate data.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    03-08-13 12:34 AM
    You have a good point, however, since BES disables the ability to use BlackBerry Protect on BES connected phones, they should ideally add a way to enable the user to wipe his own personal data, including the SD Card.

That doesn't make any sense to me. That's like saying if the personal/"consumer" side has the ability to download illegal software via bittorrent, BES should allow that on the work side too.

Since clearly the MicroSD card is considered "personal" from the standpoint of BES, why would BES include a feature to ERASE PERSONAL DATA when the whole point of "Balance" is not to touch people's personal data?

The exception to that would be something like the SecuSmart solution that Germany is going to be deploying along with Z10's, where they provide a crypto chip in the format of a MicroSD card that in addition to the encryption/key functionality the card provides, also provides a secure/encryption-enforced small partition on the card for secure storage of corporate data.
    03-08-13 12:51 AM

Troll mythbusters.
    03-08-13 01:06 AM
    You have a good point, however, since BES disables the ability to use BlackBerry Protect on BES connected phones, they should ideally add a way to enable the user to wipe his own personal data, including the SD Card.
    OK, end-users should be able to wipe their own data on the personal side on their personal devices. But adding a policy to BES doesn't accomplish that because end-users can't push/activate BES policies. On the other hand, giving the power of wiping the personal side to a BES administrator, as far as I'm concerned, undermines the whole point of Balance. It's like telling someone that some household safe they just bought is impenetrable and openable only by the owner, then finding out the manufacturer gave another key to your next-door neighbor.

I would think the vast majority of the time that someone would want to wipe the entire device (or at least the personal side), it would be AFTER they stop working for a company, not while they're still working for them.

Though I must say that the whole subject, to me, just once again reinforces the folly of BYOD in the first place. It's never going to be optimal for all involved parties. It's basically a drunken fantasy dreamed-up by end-users that can't stand the idea that they can't do anything they want at work.
    03-08-13 01:37 AM
    interesting; the SD card is considered part of the "personal perimeter"

it is actually not possible to copy files from the "work perimeter" to the SD card; so this security concern should be mute. they probably should really review exactly what the security principles of BlackBerry 10 are all about - including that the device is also designed to support BYOD scenarios. wiping the "corporate" data should never wipe the personal data on a device (ios, android et al - do this). one plus when it comes to being an employee.
    03-08-13 01:39 AM
    This thread should be deleted its just another another post full of untrue statements by the OP. Potential US IOS/Andriod users have enough disinformation already floating out there. We don't need to add to the pile
    It should stay if only for the reason that it highlights how the SD card works with Balance
    cjcampbell likes this.
    03-08-13 02:02 AM
174 1234 ...