Usually happy to test previous versions when "Unable to install" current version of anything, but options for YouTube are bewildering. Can anybody point me easily to latest, or any, working version, please?
    (Mobile link is fine but just thinking installed apk might be better.)

Posted via CB10
    06-15-19 01:45 AM
    I think if you're not looking to yt notifications being pushed, then you're better off with the Web version. It only consumes your battery if you use it, also it does not take up space on the device. (of course it generates data through the browser of your choice, but so does a dedicated application)
    My opinion would be different if supertube would still be an option, it was the best YouTube experience I ever had.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-19 06:57 AM
    Give a try to Supertube...great app and works also in background for the music....
    06-15-19 07:41 AM
    Give a try to Supertube...great app and works also in background for the music....
    SuperTube and Fastube no longer work.
    06-15-19 07:57 AM
    Usually happy to test previous versions when "Unable to install" current version of anything, but options for YouTube are bewildering. Can anybody point me easily to latest, or any, working version, please?

Posted via CB10
    Try YouTube Vanced:

https://youtubevanced.com/non-root

I've had success with v13.16.55.
    06-15-19 07:58 AM
    I have been using YouTube in the stock browser and have never had any issues. I do that on all my devices, not just BB10.

What is it about using apps for YouTube that people prefer?

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-15-19 08:42 AM
    I have been using YouTube in the stock browser and have never had any issues. I do that on all my devices, not just BB10.

What is it about using apps for YouTube that people prefer?

A more efficient, tailored UI - like almost any app I suppose.
    06-15-19 09:09 AM
    A more efficient, tailored UI - like almost any app I suppose.
    That should be the case, but in my experience the UI is better in the browser, and the app just grabs more personal data such as location and user info, since the app knows your ID, as opposed to a private browser over a VPN.

06-15-19 09:33 AM
    SuperTube and Fastube no longer work.
    Supertube works fine!
    ****! No longer it seems!!
    06-15-19 11:16 AM
    That should be the case, but in my experience the UI is better in the browser, and the app just grabs more personal data such as location and user info, since the app knows your ID, as opposed to a private browser over a VPN.
    Same experience here. Even on Android, I think the web interface is better. On BB10 and Windows Mobile 10, the web interface beats the app on Android and iOS.
    I would also point out that I don't know of anyone on the desktop that doesn't use the web interface...
    06-16-19 12:26 PM
    Same experience here. Even on Android, I think the web interface is better. On BB10 and Windows Mobile 10, the web interface beats the app on Android and iOS.
    I would also point out that I don't know of anyone on the desktop that doesn't use the web interface...
    Desktop interfaces are built around a mouse. It's a bit different on a touch-enabled 5"+ screen.
    06-16-19 12:53 PM
    Desktop interfaces are built around a mouse. It's a bit different on a touch-enabled 5"+ screen.
    True, but most mobile web sites have easy to use controls.
    06-16-19 05:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hey fergus,

Give CacheTube for YouTube a try. Fully native and a solid app and alternative to SuperTube and FastTube.
    06-18-19 06:24 PM
    I would agree if you are talking word processors or spreadsheets.
    YouTube specifically? That's pretty well designed for touch, there's not a whole lot going on other touch the video you want to play....
    06-20-19 03:32 PM
    I would agree if you are talking word processors or spreadsheets.
    YouTube specifically? That's pretty well designed for touch, there's not a whole lot going on other touch the video you want to play....
    Sharing to messenger apps, sms, various email accounts, etc is not easily done on the browser.
    06-20-19 03:34 PM
    Sharing to messenger apps, sms, various email accounts, etc is not easily done on the browser.
    You just tap the address bar, copy, then the three dots and then click share. Or is It slow or inconvenient? I've never tried to share from any YouTube application before.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    06-20-19 03:48 PM
    You just tap the address bar, copy, then the three dots and then click share. Or is It slow or inconvenient? I've never tried to share from any YouTube application before.

Posted via CB10
    True enough.
    06-20-19 03:50 PM
    The YouTube apps for Android and iOS have added annoying features meant to increase profitability, such as requiring additional steps to go back and stop videos. Even on my iPad, I find it preferable to use YouTube in the browser now.

06-20-19 05:14 PM
    The YouTube apps for Android and iOS have added annoying features meant to increase profitability, such as requiring additional steps to go back and stop videos. Even on my iPad, I find it preferable to use YouTube in the browser now.

This one doesn't, although it may be lacking in features many want: https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.schabi.newpipe/

There is also the Legacy version.
    06-20-19 05:19 PM
    This one doesn't, although it may be lacking in features many want: https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.schabi.newpipe/

There is also the Legacy version.
    Yes. I was speaking of the current official versions. I am not a fan of using a bunch of independent apps. I either use the official version or the mobile Web for media sites.

I see 99.9% of apps as frivolous and unnecessary at best and incompetent, exploitative and dangerous at worst.

06-20-19 05:29 PM
    independent apps
    This one is FOSS but I agree with you on the mobile web site. Some people insist on an app even if it is just a front-end. I trust pretty much anything on F-Droid but I hear your concern.
    06-20-19 05:34 PM
    This one is FOSS but I agree with you on the mobile web site. Some people insist on an app even if it is just a front-end. I trust pretty much anything on F-Droid but I hear your concern.
    I always appreciate hearing about apps, and know there are a lot of great devs out their in the FOSS community.
    06-20-19 08:14 PM