This was one of the hot topics this morning, showing in two segments. It was focused on iPhone and Android, but it's a pity BlackBerry didn't get a mention especially if it doesn't do it.

Your smartphone may be tracking your every move - TODAY.com

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 10:32 AM
    They all do it.

You can disable location services. But emergency services always have access as required by law (911)

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    04-28-15 10:51 AM
    Android and iphone goes a bit further. They apparently have a feature buried within the settings called 'Frequent Locations' in which everywhere you visit and how long you stayed is stored to the minute. It figures out which location is home based on frequency and how long you stay there at night for instance. It shows all the locations quite clearly on a map. This is stored on the phone (spouses should love this) and shared with apple and Google. In the case of Google it is linked to your Gmail account so if you get hacked, that's some of the information they get. A map of everywhere you have been and at what time. Even up to a year ago. That's a bit creepy. I don't see a similar feature on my phone.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    04-28-15 12:39 PM
    Android and iphone goes a bit further. They apparently have a feature buried within the settings called 'Frequent Locations' in which everywhere you visit and how long you stayed is stored to the minute. It figures out which location is home based on frequency and how long you stay there at night for instance. It shows all the locations quite clearly on a map. This is stored on the phone (spouses should love this) and shared with apple and Google. In the case of Google it is linked to your Gmail account so if you get hacked, that's some of the information they get. A map of everywhere you have been and at what time. Even up to a year ago. That's a bit creepy. I don't see a similar feature on my phone.

Posted via CB10
    Best to put on your tinfoil hat, because your carrier has always had the ability to know where you are too by triangulating your position using their cell towers which your connected to.

You don't want someone tracking you? Then stop using any electronics and live completely off the grid and only use cash.

People need to quit being scared little defenseless things and start living their lives before it's too late and they've got no time to enjoy their short insignificant existence.

Posted via CB10
    bakron1, jmr1015 and PatrickMJS like this.
    04-28-15 02:28 PM
    Not much news. Not surprising.
    04-28-15 02:36 PM
    Best to put on your tinfoil hat, because your carrier has always had the ability to know where you are too by triangulating your position using their cell towers which your connected to.

You don't want someone tracking you? Then stop using any electronics and live completely off the grid and only use cash.

People need to quit being scared little defenseless things and start living their lives before it's too late and they've got no time to enjoy their short insignificant existence.
    This doesn't bother or matter to me either. My location services are on by choice.
    Just found it interesting and thought I would share.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    04-28-15 02:46 PM
    Agree this is a non issue. People who choose to are free to head off to a mountain in a remote part of the world. If you want access to technology and information then technology and information wants access to you. That's the trade.
    04-28-15 03:50 PM
    And that is why I designed the Faraday cover for my phone. Ain't getting nothing on me!

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 07:16 PM
    Did my Z30 just see that move? How about that one?
    04-28-15 07:19 PM
    I turn off as many locating services as possible. NOT because I am concerned about my location - it has always been known if wanted by cell towers, credit cards, passport usage, etc.

What upsets me is that I PAY for an unlocked carrier free phone. I PAY for cell service. I PAY for apps NOT to have advertising (although more and more are sneaking advertising into paid apps). My PROBLEM is with the likes of Google, Android and Apple USING the information WITHOUT paying me. I refuse to be seen as a PRODUCT for the gain of someone else.

I am sickened that most people are happy to have their data, their movements, their preferences, their interests collected, parsed, and sold without any benefit.

Apologies - end of rant.
    04-28-15 08:53 PM
    Don't worry about somebody ever hackle your girlfriend's Gmail account and tracking her down because they felt like she liked them. Hope she can defend herself. How about an ex girlfriend who didn't take to kind to the way you broke up with her with a text message. Don't worry she doesn't have any idea where you moved to. How did your box find out that you were at a competitor the other day that you said you were sick. It's not just Government that can track your movements, at least they usually are required to have a warrant, it could be anyone. Even your mom

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    04-28-15 09:03 PM
    Best use for a 'disposable phone'. You know those $19 phones,at the grocery store. They're never linked to you unless you allow them to be and if they do get linked to you, they're cheap enough you can just throw them away.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 09:11 PM
    Best use for a 'disposable phone'. You know those $19 phones,at the grocery store. They're never linked to you unless you allow them to be and if they do get linked to you, they're cheap enough you can just throw them away.

Posted via CB10
    Pay with cash

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 09:19 PM
    This forum is good cause remained all party there's right called privacy.
    So they have to understand the good and bad if they use this function for their own requirements without our permissions

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    04-28-15 09:29 PM
    Agree this is a non issue. People who choose to are free to head off to a mountain in a remote part of the world. If you want access to technology and information then technology and information wants access to you. That's the trade.
    Shouldn't have to give up my right to privacy because I use technology.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 04:12 AM

Posted via CB10
    Carrier has the ability to triangulate. Meaning if the select a device they want to triangulate on, they can. I don't have a problem with that.

But if carriers were triangulating all devices at all times of the day and storing that information, then yes I would have a problem with it.

What can be done and actively is being done at all times of the day are two different things.

Posted via CB10
    spike12 likes this.
    04-29-15 01:35 PM
    Darn! Shouldn't have ordered that torch for my super secret secure cave using my VISA and Passport!
    04-29-15 10:16 PM
    Darn! Shouldn't have ordered that torch for my super secret secure cave using my VISA and Passport!
    Cave, don't worry you won't have any signal

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 10:28 PM
    And that is why I designed the Faraday cover for my phone. Ain't getting nothing on me!

Posted via CB10
    You putting them on the market? Cash sells? I've been using two layers of foil and an anti static bag but I'm not able to receive calls??? Perhaps your box will work better...
    04-29-15 11:10 PM