You're kidding right?

Press are all over this BEFORE the launch,I hinted at that this morning on Kevin's breakfast post (Front page), Umi confirmed it later in his front page post.

It will be interesting to see when Kevin next posts if he makes mention of the press/media all over this.
    yes some press are all over it. others are not.
    and the general consumers have next to no idea about bb10.

honestly. this is the case and it is really easy to forget that once we google bb10. i've been looking at lots of other press sites and talking to real people and cabn see for my own two eyes that there is a majority out there that are clueless about bb10.

i'm wondering if RIM are going for the small splash that builds up momentum strategy, rather then a huge splash that loses momentum when it comes to marketing
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-20-13 03:07 PM
    Guys, the point of a launch is to UNVEIL new products. Worrying that not many people know about BB10 yet is kind of missing the point. Also keep in mind that when the launch happens BB10 will be getting press from major news organizations, not just tech blogs, because these organizations usually wait until official debuts of products to give them coverage. RIM releasing new products is something that will definitely make the news and that is when the general public will find out. And at that time they will have official presentations, glamour shots, videos and such to look at as opposed to leaks of unfinished products, rough drafts of marketing materials and blurrycam shots.

Even so, I'm actually surprised by how many people know about BB10 or at least know that new Blackberry products are coming shortly. And these people I'm referring to are definitely not BB diehards or even hardcore technology enthusiasts.
    peter9477 and BB_Bmore like this.
    01-20-13 03:32 PM
    For those who have followed BB10 we know that its completely new & going to be better than what we have now however I was speaking with a friend last night about BB10 as he saw an advert by EE & he just said that from past experiences with blackberry he will never get another one again & i've tried to convince him otherwise yet he & many people wont budge.

So I think the main issue will be down to marketing to sway customers from the iPhones ect.

Personally I sold on BB10 I think its going to be great but a part of me is hoping that it wont fail due to narrow minded fools brainwashed by apple.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    01-20-13 04:13 PM
    It will take a concerted effort between rim and the carriers to push the phones. RIM itself marketing the phones is mot enough.
    01-20-13 05:21 PM
    afraid,,, no,,, but it wouldn't surprise me,,, i will be underwhelmed if phones & pb upgrade aren't available right away, say less than a week,,, there may be a couple features that might be really cool to offset that a bit,,, i do feel that the ppl that are over-excited will be the ones to most be let down,,, if they have their act together, in the U.S. @ least, they SHOULD bring out the big guns TODAY during the playoffs,,, it's 10 days off & time to get it on,,, if there's no ad time there they may be blowing it,,, the oportunity to get MILLIONS of eyes on BB10 is staring you in the face, literally...
    You are almost certainly going to be underwhelmed then as all indications point to the pb not getting bb10 anytime soon.
    01-20-13 05:52 PM
    Me? No way, I'm NOT going to be feeling or seeing anything underwhelming at all. Oh and for those saying the playbook isn't getting blackberry 10? You are wrong. It is.
    01-20-13 06:36 PM
    Me? No way, I'm NOT going to be feeling or seeing anything underwhelming at all. Oh and for those saying the playbook isn't getting blackberry 10? You are wrong. It is.
    Who is saying it isn't getting it? My comment was in response to somebody wrongly expecting it to be there soon after the launch which simply won't be happening as selling new phones is vastly more important to rim right now than upgrading old hardware.
    01-20-13 06:42 PM
    Who is saying it isn't getting it? My comment was in response to somebody wrongly expecting it to be there soon after the launch which simply won't be happening as selling new phones is vastly more important to rim right now than upgrading old hardware.
    My bad, I should have said "they are wrong". I misread what you posted.
    01-20-13 06:52 PM
    What we do know is that we will definitely be seeing the official unveiling of the X10 and Z10....

What we don't know is what other devices may be announced, what other software the platform might be going to... there are still a few unknowns.
    01-20-13 06:55 PM
    Not at all. People need to lower their expectations for a Blackberry comeback on day 1 and enjoy the new phone. It's not like BB10 is gonna launch and all of a sudden Blackberry will have 50% marketshare, it's going to be a while before we know if Blackberry is making a comeback and even then it'll be a year or two to see what their position in the smartphone world looks like. The phone and OS look awesome and that's all you should be focused on, getting a badass phone.
    jakie55 and kemayou like this.
    01-20-13 07:15 PM
    Guys, the point of a launch is to UNVEIL new products. Worrying that not many people know about BB10 yet is kind of missing the point. Also keep in mind that when the launch happens BB10 will be getting press from major news organizations, not just tech blogs, because these organizations usually wait until official debuts of products to give them coverage. RIM releasing new products is something that will definitely make the news and that is when the general public will find out. And at that time they will have official presentations, glamour shots, videos and such to look at as opposed to leaks of unfinished products, rough drafts of marketing materials and blurrycam shots.

Even so, I'm actually surprised by how many people know about BB10 or at least know that new Blackberry products are coming shortly. And these people I'm referring to are definitely not BB diehards or even hardcore technology enthusiasts.
    this is a fair point. the devices will be launched and thats when we will know cold hard facts about them so thats when the marketing should start. makes sense.

although i have found the opposite, that many people know another blackberry is coming out, but they see it as more of the same
    01-20-13 07:17 PM
    Have faith grasshopper, there will be so much marketing you won't be able to keep up with it soon.

this is a fair point. the devices will be launched and thats when we will know cold hard facts about them so thats when the marketing should start. makes sense.

although i have found the opposite, that many people know another blackberry is coming out, but they see it as more of the same
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-20-13 07:55 PM
    No. I'm not concerned the launch will be underwhelming. What I've seen already excites me enough that firm sales dates are all I'm really expecting. I just want to know when I can get my hands on some BB10 goodness. The jan30 launch is more for the less informed people who need their newspaper or 6o'clock newshour for their tech news.
    01-20-13 08:57 PM
    What we do know is that we will definitely be seeing the official unveiling of the X10 and Z10....

What we don't know is what other devices may be announced, what other software the platform might be going to... there are still a few unknowns.
    I do not think we will see any other hardware announcements at all beyond those two devices and the in the stores date for the Z10, the focus is going to be on the software, what it does and getting across the message of why people need to buy devices with it on.
    01-21-13 09:42 AM
    i hope to hear when the playbook gets bb10 and maybe they might even announce the new tablet.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-21-13 10:44 AM
    Nope. What concerns me is what happens after the launch, if you build it will they come?
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-21-13 10:52 AM
    Well i am expecting it to not be such a big deal for us here at crackberry ex ept for the fact the phones are gonna be coming out and maybe a surprises here and there but its really to get the world out to the public. Most of the public dont really know a lot bout bb10 if any at all. They just here its blackberry and then move on. The launch will get their attention and show them the new blackberry.

We shouldnt think the launch is boring or anything cause we are the fans. Alll you really need to do to get excited is get your old blackberry and put it beside the new one and you will see the difference and what normal non blackberry fans are going to notice.
    01-21-13 11:03 AM
    Exactly. Someone asked me today if I will get a bb10 phone. (I have the countdown avatar on my bbm). I said yes off course. She proceeded to tell me she had not seen or heard anything about it. I went ahead and sent her some bb10 videos. It just proves not everyone knows about bb10. The launch will showcase everything about the phone to the world...and once the phones hit the streets its a whole different ballgame. Can't wait to get my hand on that shinny Z-SERIES PHONE.

The important thing for people to bear in mind is that your average consumer has not spent the best part of a year devouring every blurry pic or random clip that has shown up on the blogs, to the general public the amount of info about bb10 is much more limited so as long as they can get across their message about how good bb10 is and demonstrate that it will not have the same weaknesses of previous devices (closing the app gap with top tier partners being shown off) then things will be fine everywhere that still likes blackberry.

The only real grey area will be how the states responds to bb10, if they remain indifferent to anything that isn't iphone or an oversized android device then it will put a bit of a damper on the launch, but hopefully this won't be the case and the carriers will back rim properly with these devices.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    01-21-13 01:57 PM
    The road map suggested PlayBook will get BlackBerry10 between Q1 and Q2...since then Blackberrydev tweeted that BlackBerry10 for PlayBook is ahead of schedule. That's all we know as far as indicators go,I've learned that just because someone has a friend at Rim that told them something, doesn't mean that it is so.
    You are almost certainly going to be underwhelmed then as all indications point to the pb not getting bb10 anytime soon.
    01-21-13 03:57 PM
    Is the glass half empty or half full?

I imagine I'll be pleased, based on what I've seen and I've read. My biggest fear is that the press is waiting to pounce on anything negative. Try as they might, you know RIM is going to have an unforeseen hiccup. Tech companies always do. And the press will blow it out of proportion like the message delay a while back; or the weenie Playbook recall.
    01-21-13 04:09 PM
    Yes if RIM doesn't blow the press out of the water they will be ripped to shreds by the media....I can see the headlines now "same old bb" "they still dont get it"
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-21-13 04:26 PM
    Quite Frankly I don't care what anyone else thinks. I will have my bb10 phone and it will be great, whether if it sells well or not.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    01-21-13 04:40 PM
    and the general consumers have next to no idea about bb10.
    I think people need to refrain from making sweeping assumptions about what the general public knows or doesn't know based upon "a couple of people I've talked to".

and cabn see for my own two eyes that there is a majority out there that are clueless about bb10.
    Unless you've gone out and spoken with "a majority of people", this is a silly assertion to make. My statistics prof is likely rolling over in his grave ...
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-21-13 04:48 PM
    Not afraid and it will not be underwhelming.

January 30th will be in several cities across all continents. That itself is overwhelming. Thorsten and his leadership team have been brilliant so far, not miss one note. It will be good. :-)
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-21-13 05:20 PM
    No, not particularly concerned.

As far as I'm concerned, RIM has learned some very painful lessons, and they're already behaving differently. One of the biggest challenges they've needed to face is the issue of managing expectations. They did a horrible job of that a couple of years ago, and it led to too many situations where they over-promised and under-delivered. It undermined their credibility horribly. It was arguably their biggest challenge, because if your customers can't trust you, they stop buying from you.

I think they've learned a lesson from that. If anything, BB10 seems to OVER-deliver, just from what I've seen (which, being a Dev Alpha recipient, is admittedly more than most). Even without core features, I can already see how this really is the quantum leap that RIM needed to make to stay competitive. In that sense, I don't have to worry about being "underwhelmed", because I'm already stoked about just the stuff I already know is going to be there.

We have seen little of Story Maker, and what little we've seen is very tantalizing. I've seen nothing of Docs to Go, and at this point I've come to dislike it to the point where anything they do with it will only be an improvement. The video editor looks very cool, too. So, yes, we know for sure we'll see something on these fronts. I look forward to it.

Third-party apps, I'm sure, will be hyped to the heavens. I have already accepted that there will be one or two apps that won't make it, and that we'll see plenty of virtual screaming and hand-wringing on these boards next week. Personally, I can't say I care much. I have enough family and friends with Playbooks that I already have WiFi video chat in easy reach, so Skype isn't a dealbreaker for me, and while I like Netflix and would like to see it on BB10, it's not a dealbreaker for me either. I expect to see surprises both out of which new programs we'll see, and which ones we won't. I expect it to basically be a wash.

What I'm hoping for most is a glimpse of the game plan from here. I'd love to see a new Playbook at least teased, if not demo'd (and a BB10 Playbook beta would be awesome). I'd love to see any kind of confirmation of the rumored top-end Aristo, too. But I'm not actually expecting any of this stuff, so if it's not there, I'm not worried.

So RIM has certainly managed MY expectation effectively. They'd actually have to work at disappointing me right now.
    dragonx6 and peter9477 like this.
    01-21-13 06:24 PM
52 123