Hey all, I've been using the yahoo finance app on my Z30 for a couple years now, but it seems today that it is now broken. The stocks don't update anymore in my portfolio list view, but when I click on one, the graph shows up correctly, but all other info has now disappeared. There is also a message saying that data cannot be retrieved.

I'm using version 1.13.3060.2718 which I think is the 2.1.2 apk. It's the latest I have found that works on BB10. I tried reinstalling the app but it did solve the issue.

Anyone having the same issues?
    Do you have any other app that uses the yahoo finance data or any other good stock market app?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-20 09:46 PM
    Do you have any other app that uses the yahoo finance data or any other good stock market app?
    Without a doubt the best stock market app in BlackBerry World is QuickStocks https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=CA . It's an android port but it really works well. I've had the paid version for a number of years now and it is my top 10 list of apps from BBW.
    09-16-20 02:07 PM
    @brookie229

I found this post by Bluenoser63 about quickstocks :
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...t-app-1008108/

What do you think?

"Bluenoser63
    I used wireshark to compare the data and ips that both QuickStocks and StockBook uses.

StockBook only uses Yahoo and Google as said in the description.

QuickStocks uses

api.apptentive.com which tracks what the apps does and sends it to the developer.
    ipinfo.io to get the IP and detailed information on where the user is.
    doubleclick.net which makes sense since I used the free version.
    google websites (most likely the analytics)
    Now the disturbing parts.
    AmazonAWS which is web services which could be the user storing the data from the app
    and 172.217.2.1 which is a private and unknown ip address.

This app is way to dodgy for me to ever use.

UPDATE: Stocks for BlackBerry has no dodgy transmissions."

Posted via CB10
    09-16-20 04:06 PM
    What do you think?
    I think that nowadays you don't have much choice. I think the only 2 that work from BBW are QuickStocks and SuperStocks. Over the years I've tried them all. Stockwatch Ticker, StockDaddy Turbo (used to be my favorite), Stock Futures, Stock Exchange etc etc. QuickStocks is an android port and pretty much all android apps have these permissions built into them. I've been using it for about 3 years now. It's not like you can trade from this app- it's only for quotes so are you really risking any sensitive banking/account info? Try it, you will like it. It's nice and simple but does what the description says.
    09-16-20 06:17 PM
    @brookie229

I found this post by Bluenoser63 about quickstocks :
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...t-app-1008108/

What do you think?

"Bluenoser63
    I used wireshark to compare the data and ips that both QuickStocks and StockBook uses.

StockBook only uses Yahoo and Google as said in the description.

QuickStocks uses

api.apptentive.com which tracks what the apps does and sends it to the developer.
    ipinfo.io to get the IP and detailed information on where the user is.
    doubleclick.net which makes sense since I used the free version.
    google websites (most likely the analytics)
    Now the disturbing parts.
    AmazonAWS which is web services which could be the user storing the data from the app
    and 172.217.2.1 which is a private and unknown ip address.

This app is way to dodgy for me to ever use.

UPDATE: Stocks for BlackBerry has no dodgy transmissions."

Posted via CB10
    This is a quote from the app developer, Ron: "I don't care to capture information about users that I can sell, I wish all other developers have the same thoughts about privacy". If you want an app you have to pay somehow. I choose (almost always) to pay cash for apps when I can but in this case there is just no choice. Your privacy is for sale with android apps. Period.
    09-16-20 06:31 PM
    172.217.2.1 which is a private and unknown ip address.
    That's a Google IP. Neither private nor unknown.
    09-17-20 01:35 AM
    You are absolutely 100% correct. Gotta make compromises at this point.
    I tried Quickstocks but didnt like the feel... personal preference.

Anyways, I found this gem by looking on the Playstore : My stocks portfolio & widget by Peeksoft.
    I got the 2.12.1 apk (from apk4fun) which is prior to 4.4 android. It works amazing!
    Only down side is that with Yahoo, I could access and modify my portfolio from any device, not anymore. I'll have to update this app manually whenever I modify my yahoo finance portfolios.
    09-20-20 09:30 PM
    I, like many people, use the Quick Stocks application. It is quite convenient and fits all my needs. I think that you should definitely take a closer look at it.
    Although recently, I have been investing on my own and discussing it with my financial advisor. This is very important nowadays when there are many development strategies and a way to multiply your capital.
    But if you still want to keep Yahoo Money, you should contact the developers. Perhaps they had precedents, and they can help you.
    Last edited by keithmaclroz; 07-30-21 at 06:40 AM.
    07-27-21 04:07 AM
    I don't see a need to have this application. That is, assuming your goal is to get good returns on your investments.

Just buy the index.

That's the suggestion of Warren Buffet. Take a look at any fund and see if it beat the market long term.
    Do you think can pick stocks better than any professional stock picker or Warren Buffet's advice ? Mr. Buffet and his $100 billion says you're wrong.

If you do it for entertainment, then by all means go ahead.
    07-28-21 04:50 PM
    I don't see a need to have this application. That is, assuming your goal is to get good returns on your investments.

Just buy the index.

That's the suggestion of Warren Buffet. Take a look at any fund and see if it beat the market long term.
    Do you think can pick stocks better than any professional stock picker or Warren Buffet's advice ? Mr. Buffet and his $100 billion says you're wrong.

If you do it for entertainment, then by all means go ahead.
    Warren isn’t being accurate himself though since Berkshire Hathaway isn’t an index fund itself nor does it act like one. I’m a huge admirer of Warren Buffett like I’ve been of Donald Trump for about 35 years or so going back to economics class in high school.

Even though both are vastly different individuals, both put on a persona for the public that’s good for their brand that’s not really who they are in daily practice. The need for the application, like so many creates an interest or fascination with the market that hopefully creates better understanding. Regardless of investment vehicle, none of them create a physical and emotional detachment for the investor which is the hardest part of making logical consistent returns.
    07-28-21 05:09 PM
    Warren isn’t being accurate himself though since Berkshire Hathaway isn’t an index fund itself nor does it act like one. I’m a huge admirer of Warren Buffett like I’ve been of Donald Trump for about 35 years or so going back to economics class in high school.

Even though both are vastly different individuals, both put on a persona for the public that’s good for their brand that’s not really who they are in daily practice. The need for the application, like so many creates an interest or fascination with the market that hopefully creates better understanding. Regardless of investment vehicle, none of them create a physical and emotional detachment for the investor which is the hardest part of making logical consistent returns.
    Do you have a favorite finance app for your own personal portfolio? Or is a website just the best way to get up to date info...
    07-29-21 02:31 PM