Can anyone please advise if the email note from Yahoo is legal or a fake email

We’re updating the way that you connect your Yahoo Mail to your BlackBerry device on December 19, 2018. You’re impacted if you use Blackberry 10, BlackBerry 7 or earlier devices.

What this means for you:
    Before December 19, you must complete the below steps, otherwise you will lose access to your Yahoo Mail after December 19. Please make sure to have both your mobile device and a computer available.

Step 1 – Remove your account

You will need to temporarily remove your existing Yahoo Mail account from your BlackBerry device.
    • BlackBerry 7 and earlier: Follow the instructions here – page 35.
    • BlackBerry 10: Follow the instructions here.

Step 2 – Change Yahoo Mail settings

If you have not enabled this already, you will need to change the Yahoo Mail settings in your laptop/desktop web browser to enable “App password” or to “Allow apps that use less secure sign in”.

•Option 1 [recommended] –“App password” which supports two-step verification for extra security. Follow instructions here.
    •Option 2 – “Allow apps that use less secure sign in”. Follow instructions here.

Step 3 – Re-integrate account

After changing your Yahoo Mail settings, you will need to re-integrate the account by following the steps linked below for your device.
    •BlackBerry 7 and earlier: Follow the instructions here.
    Note: This will remove the contact integration for your Yahoo account.
    • BlackBerry 10: Follow the instructions here.
    If you are setting up your account manually, use the following servers for CalDAV and CardDAV:
    CalDAV: caldav.calendar.ymail.com
    CardDAV: carddav.address.ymail.com

A BlackBerry Knowledge Base article on issues using Yahoo Mail on Blackberry is available here. We are working with BlackBerry on a solution to enable OAuth access for Android BlackBerry devices.

Thanks for being a Yahoo Mail user.

Yahoo Mail

Posted via CB10
    Lukasz Wojcieszak likes this.
    11-28-18 12:37 AM
    It's real. Got it too

Still Rocking the Passport...... Till the end
    skinnymike1 and poetlocked007 like this.
    11-28-18 05:39 AM
    I'm impressed they actually issued instructions for users!

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    11-28-18 06:47 AM
    Looks like its legitimate however you might not have to remove the account for setting up an app password, and perhaps just check if the server and port address/number are correct or if there is another option.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-18 09:40 AM
    Ok has anyone tried this yet? I got the same message. I don't see why we would need to first detach or remove the account first. Unless the goal is to get all BlackBerry users off and then never let them back on again :-)

Posted via CB10
    11-28-18 04:34 PM
    I feel risky, not sure what they are going to-do with my yahoo account

Posted via CB10
    11-28-18 10:58 PM
    This thread is quite important, maybe it can be moved out of the Passport section and to the more general BB10 OS?

Also, I thought we accepted a long time ago that Yahoo! Mail wouldn't work on Playbook. It would be nice that by following this advice it begins to work again!

P.S. I hate Yahoo mail too but feel a little stuck with them as it has been my email address for years.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-18 03:19 AM
    This thread is quite important, maybe it can be moved out of the Passport section and to the more general BB10 OS?

Also, I thought we accepted a long time ago that Yahoo! Mail wouldn't work on Playbook. It would be nice that by following this advice it begins to work again!

P.S. I hate Yahoo mail too but feel a little stuck with them as it has been my email address for years.

Posted via CB10
    Moved, and also pinned it to the top for now so others see it.
    11-29-18 08:02 AM
    These instructions work fine on the BB10 phone but not on the Playbook

Posted via CB10
    11-29-18 01:14 PM
    How on earth do you actually contact anyone at Yahoo! I've been trying for hours!

They've been my email for 18 years but I can see this all ending soon

Posted via CB10
    11-29-18 01:31 PM
    How on earth do you actually contact anyone at Yahoo! I've been trying for hours!

They've been my email for 18 years but I can see this all ending soon

Posted via CB10
    Send them an email ;-/
    11-29-18 01:33 PM
    LOL. Just data mining robots working there now. Probably ate the humans.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-18 01:42 PM
    LOL. Just data mining robots working there now. Probably ate the humans.

Posted via CB10
    Not all of them. I’ve left a few around for better camouflage.. Bwahahaha
    11-30-18 06:57 AM
    Ok, so the usual fixes don't work for me.
    01-11-19 11:08 AM
    Ok, so the usual fixes don't work for me.
    Have you changed to using an app specific password?

Posted via CB10
    01-11-19 02:55 PM
    I did. I tried again a few days later, and it worked -- until it just kicked me off again. WTF?
    01-16-19 03:39 PM
    This is the official response I received today from a support request to AT&T/Yahoo! E-mail support. I haven’t see any specific description of this “new standard” of security that a BlackBerry does not meet. I even complied with their request to setup a Security Key to use instead of the regular account password, and now that is not sufficient for some reason:

“Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

The changes you were requested to make late last year were due to security standards changes mandate by regulators.

The purpose was to have you re-authenticate onto the new security standard on your Blackberry.

However we discovered last week when you lost functionality of your accounts on your devices that Blackberry does not meet the new standard.

This was discovered by Yahoo! rolling back one of the changes hence why you all were able to access your accounts over the weekend, but as stated above these are regulator mandated changes, so they had to be re-deployed.

The issue lies with Blackberry and is out of the hands of AT&T and Yahoo!.

Thank you for choosing AT&T.

Thanks,
    Jeramy G******
    Sr Product Support
    AT&T Mobility & Entertainment”
    01-19-19 11:00 PM
    If your email isn't working on your phone try this -- it works for me and you can sync everything:

--Delete your Yahoo email from your phone;
    --create an Outlook account (www.outlook.com);
    --on your Blackberry go to email settings and choose "add account";
    --click on "Email, Calendar and Contacts"
    --don't type in anything yet and click immediately on "Advanced";
    --choose Outlook.com option;
    --type in your Outlook username (it's the email you created [email protected];
    --type in your Yahoo email address in the field below
    --type in the webmail password (I know that Yahoo has the new "app" password but it isn't necessary for this Outlook applications);
    --press next;
    --make sure all the syncs you want are in place, then press "Done"
    -- Voilà ! Your email will be working on your phone and when you send an email it will show as coming from your Yahoo.
    --send a test message to yourself;
    --you will receive an Outlook message saying you need to sign into your Outlook account to verify. It will ask you for your phone number and will text you a code. Plug in the code and your email will be up and running for sending and receiving.

Think of this method as setting up Outlook or Thunderbird on your phone, like you do on your desktop. The download time for each email seems slow at first, but then it picked up.

As far as I can tell, this is the best solution so far, if you want to keep your Yahoo account running. At this time I can't figure out how to get it to run IMAP as it seems to be running as POP but I don't care at this point -- I just want to be able to receive and send without confusion to my contacts. Perhaps someone out there can configure this to IMAP but so far I can't find the option in my phone for that. Perhaps it is the Outlook itself that needs to be IMAP -- not sure how that works.
    gravesend60 likes this.
    01-19-19 11:36 PM
    Yahoo works again. Thanks!
    01-23-19 02:50 AM