I knew it could be done, it's just BlackBerry who is lazy or incompetent... gestures are coming to Xiaomi phones, Android BlackBerry when? Probably never.

Also I know the hub can be "integrated" into the launcher so swiping from the left will always bring up the hub the start screen, all of that can be done, they just don't want to e.e

Source:

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/new...ntrols-1793206

Posted via CB10
    02-10-18 01:42 PM
    Interesting. It's also possible they just didn't want to do it and keep it more native for Android users that switch over instead of BB10 users that switch over.
    02-10-18 02:07 PM
    There are rumors that Google is looking to introduce additional gestures in future versions of Android - which has caused them to notify developers that the ability to implement OS-level gestures by third-parties is going away very soon (this would be a necessary step before implementing OS-level gestures, or you'd have gestures that performed conflicting actions). But given all the different hardware that Android runs on - some, like, say, car stereos, that have virtually zero bezel around the screen - it's going to take time and testing to make sure that those gestures work everywhere. I expect we're going to see them be phased in over several OS versions.

As far as BB, as much as I understand that you're a fan of BB10 and its gestures, BB10 was a massive commercial failure, and BB investing a lot of time and money trying to recreate a failed OS with Android just to make a relative few fans happy was never going to happen. Android is not BB10, and is never going to be BB10, even if gestures do come. BB would have confused as many people as they made happy, and, again, why spend all the money for a zero-sum (at best) game? Especially if - as is likely - Google made them aware that gestures were already planned for Android.
    02-10-18 02:25 PM
    Interesting. It's also possible they just didn't want to do it and keep it more native for Android users that switch over instead of BB10 users that switch over.
    They could've made the gestures optional. Like a checkbox in the launcher settings 'Enable gestures' or something like that.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    02-10-18 04:21 PM
    I guess. But it is time and money for something most aren't used to using. But maybe not for long!
    02-10-18 04:41 PM
    I guess. But it is time and money for something most aren't used to using. But maybe not for long!
    I was just saying it would've been possible to make it optional, not that it was worth it.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    02-10-18 05:13 PM
    When you first set up your phone a screen asking would you like classic android buttons or intuitive gesture controls?

That should fix everything, and they can offer the two options. Anyway, now that Iphone made gesture popular, Xiaomi is next, after that Samsung and in the very end the ones who had them since 201X...

Posted via CB10
    02-10-18 08:03 PM
    When you first set up your phone a screen asking would you like classic android buttons or intuitive gesture controls?

That should fix everything, and they can offer the two options. Anyway, now that Iphone made gesture popular, Xiaomi is next, after that Samsung and in the very end the ones who had them since 201X...

Posted via CB10
    You mean the iPad made gestures popular? 'Cause the iPhone X sales are low, so far. So low even that Apple has cut back on production. The iPad, OTOH, is still selling like hotcakes and it has gestures now as well since the latest major OS update.

Also, the ones who had them since 2009, not 201x. webOS was the first to offer gesture controls, not BB10.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    02-11-18 05:17 PM
    Until gesture based navigation come to BlackBerry (wait, come or return?) go ahead and install this app and take yourself some time to get used to it and customize it to your liking:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...esture.control

It works very well! I have it configured as follows:

Swipe Right and hold: Hub

Swipe Up and hole: notification
    02-11-18 06:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    As Troy noted, Android itself is going more gesture-based and you missed OnePlus which brought it even before Xiaomi lol - https://www.androidcentral.com/onepl...one-x-gestures. Not sure there was ever a debate about why it wasn't on BlackBerry devices. Pretty well known it was a mixed limitation of the OS and laziness on BlackBerry's part. At least now, hopefully, some of the limitations will be removed. Now to just cure the laziness lol.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-12-18 07:05 AM
    As Troy noted, Android itself is going more gesture-based and you missed OnePlus which brought it even before Xiaomi lol - https://www.androidcentral.com/onepl...one-x-gestures. Not sure there was ever a debate about why it wasn't on BlackBerry devices. Pretty well known it was a mixed limitation of the OS and laziness on BlackBerry's part. At least now, hopefully, some of the limitations will be removed. Now to just cure the laziness lol.
    Laziness, or simple a matter of Chen keeping cost under control.

Yes they could have done a LOT more with the suite of apps over the last three years of development, it they had the resources. But Chen is a master of keeping cost low, and before he invest more into Android development, he'll need to see more in the way of sales. Either from the licensee or from subscriptions... at one time they had plans for three different suites of apps for Enterprise users.

Yes we all know more could have been done to make the launcher and apps more gesture based (or built Blend), and even given users the option of "to gesture" or "not to gesture". But in business, you do what you can afford to do. I look at these guys estimate on cost > >https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13135636 But I bet it would cost BlackBerry much, much more. And as that developer found out, there really isn't as much community support as one might want to believe.
    02-12-18 08:25 AM
    Laziness, or simple a matter of Chen keeping cost under control.

Yes they could have done a LOT more with the suite of apps over the last three years of development, it they had the resources. But Chen is a master of keeping cost low, and before he invest more into Android development, he'll need to see more in the way of sales. Either from the licensee or from subscriptions... at one time they had plans for three different suites of apps for Enterprise users.

Yes we all know more could have been done to make the launcher and apps more gesture based (or built Blend), and even given users the option of "to gesture" or "not to gesture". But in business, you do what you can afford to do. I look at these guys estimate on cost > >https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13135636 But I bet it would cost BlackBerry much, much more. And as that developer found out, there really isn't as much community support as one might want to believe.
    Never ceases to amaze me the amount of thought folks around here put into things vs. the reality of BlackBerry thinking about things. The extent of the convo was probably..

Should we bring gestures?

Nah, Android doesn't support them in an easy way yet, so let's wait and see.

K, do that.

lol.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-12-18 08:30 AM
    I could live without the gestures, but I need to access the hub from everywhere, that's a must and hold and peek too :v

Posted via CB10
    02-12-18 09:56 AM
    I've been using allinone gestures since getting my keyone day one. I use the swipe right to go to regents, swipe up to close, and left to go back. I honestly haven't touched the nav bars since getting it. I couldn't think of using a phone without the swipe gestures.
    02-12-18 10:07 AM
    Never ceases to amaze me the amount of thought folks around here put into things vs. the reality of BlackBerry thinking about things. The extent of the convo was probably..

Should we bring gestures?

Nah, Android doesn't support them in an easy way yet, so let's wait and see.

K, do that.

lol.
    And the conversation was actually just one guy, in his own head.

He's the only developer left who had anything to do with BB10, and he stays in his cubicle tucked away in the basement, hidden from all the rest of the company; his only means of communication are the occasional email or corporate memo, never face to face with other BlackBerry employees. He finds comfort by holding and guarding his favorite stapler.
    02-12-18 10:18 AM