09-18-16 06:25 AM
515 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    After hearing the rumour that BB may be working on an Android device, I'm finally very excited.

As a consumer, I don't want to be left behind. If I get another BB10 device when I next upgrade, I can forget about smart watches, home connected devices, popular apps and Chromecast for the next two years. It's no longer a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

A BlackBerry phone, with physical keyboard, and a modified version of Android that is visually identical to BB10 (with added security) would tick all my boxes. It's now or never.
    zombiecupcake likes this.
    06-15-15 03:23 AM
    No not supporting Android at all not even installing Android ports on my BB even if I can, this app's don't run as expected and do not have the look and feel as the rest of the BB GUI.

Running BB devices because they are not iPlonker nor Androids Google spyware, so why should I support Android? Simple don't want it at all.

Glad BlackBerry OS10 is a solid system which helps me not to be doomed to use the other mainstream systems.
    And yes BlackBerry app's do all I need why should I use any other.
    Posted via BB-Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.*
    akavbb likes this.
    06-15-15 03:37 AM
    i will support not the whole android os. just the Google play store and apps. because blackberry 10 is the best os for me.
    06-15-15 04:19 AM
    A BlackBerry phone, with physical keyboard, and a modified version of Android that is visually identical to BB10 (with added security) would tick all my boxes. It's now or never.
    Android with added security.
    That is something you can't get at the moment IMHO.
    Unless BlackBerry has been developing without us knowing a brand new OS.
    I don't think they have the money or the time to do so.
    If they move to Android, I wish them good luck from my heart...but I seriously doubt they'll have it.

Posted via my STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return
    06-15-15 10:05 AM
    Android with added security.
    That is something you can't get at the moment IMHO.
    Unless BlackBerry has been developing without us knowing a brand new OS.
    I don't think they have the money or the time to do so.
    If they move to Android, I wish them good luck from my heart...but I seriously doubt they'll have it.

Posted via my STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return
    You can get Android with added security, the problem is they won't be satisfactory to the "average consumer" because the security changes may brake things and updates will be delayed from other Android products since the changes will have to be re-applied. BlackBerry has already worked with Boeing to develop a secure Android device, Boeing Black. Not exactly a CES darling.
    06-15-15 01:42 PM
    I personally would not. If I wanted an Android device, I'd buy one. I have a BlackBerry for a reason.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 01:53 PM
    A good read (another CB poster cited first).

http://berryflow.com/2015/06/the-fut...on-blackberry/

Maybe possible to have a secured BB10 OS without runtime on the work side and Android on the consumer side ? At any rate, I can not see BB10 as we know it running in the same fashion a year or so down the line. Maybe the mythical BlackBerry skin is possible running together in a QNX kernel device with a Android OS?

What do you think of this article? Interesting comments at the end.

Will "consumer BB10" be the next orphaned BlackBerry OS?
    Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 04:35 PM
    A good read (another CB poster cited first).

http://berryflow.com/2015/06/the-fut...on-blackberry/

Maybe possible to have a secured BB10 OS without runtime on the work side and Android on the consumer side ? At any rate, I can not see BB10 as we know it running in the same fashion a year or so down the line. Maybe the mythical BlackBerry skin is possible running together in a QNX kernel device with a Android OS?

What do you think of this article? Interesting comments at the end.

Posted via CB10
    We've all heard that before, just like Blackberry no longer makes devices. :-) not interested in anything Google.

℘ℴƽℯđ √ ƽ ℘ƽƽ℘ℴř
    06-15-15 04:37 PM
    As soon as it is confirmed they work on android device, i'm selling my Passport and goodbye BlackBerry you wont see me again. BBOS is the best mobile operating system to my eyes. If I have to get used to Android, I better do it with a compagny that has experience

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-16-15 07:40 AM
    If it is a BlackBerry version Android.... I think it is fine. The most important thing is that I want to have the efficiency of battery life like what BlackBerry 10 had.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 07:47 AM
    I'm also considering other phone brands now in case BlackBerry goes full on Android. Need to start reading up on Windows phone soon.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 08:24 AM
    Kind of feels like I already am. A lot of my apps are android apps and I think I have just as many android apps as native apps :\

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 08:24 AM
    Different thoughts!

Well how about a QNX based core system with the BB10 as one GUI and a 2nd Android GUI by a flick of the screen by choice, like having the HUB in the center but instead of flicking to the right to start the secure and reliable BB10 environment containing all the BB app's , the more simple minded user just flick to the left to start a Android playground containing all this spyware apps.

Shouldn't be a lot of effort for BlackBerry development to just crate another more Androids look alike virtual GUI on top of the highly secured QNX core just next to the BB10.
    This would be very similar to what we know from the secured work-account under BES.

At least it would provide a smart and cheap solution for BB to stop this constantly nagging Andriote fans, so it's up to them if they want to use playstore app's on the one side or the serious BB app's on the other.
    At least a BB device is in use and supporting further more then loosing this clientele all together, may even a few Andriote die-hards change over to BB completely ones they find out that BB10 is the better choice.

Shouldn't be to difficult to give the already existing Android runtime and shell a GUI that pretend to be a Android based OS, folks do believe the simpel lies to be able to fall for the even bigger ones in live.

As I say.... just some thoughts

Posted via BB-Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.*
    06-16-15 08:26 AM
    After hearing the rumour that BB may be working on an Android device, I'm finally very excited.

As a consumer, I don't want to be left behind. If I get another BB10 device when I next upgrade, I can forget about smart watches, home connected devices, popular apps and Chromecast for the next two years. It's no longer a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

I agree completely. Chen said that part of the security of BlackBerry is embedded in the hardware, which is why they need to manufacture the phone themselves (so to speak) . If they can adapt that to work with android and maintain their legendary security. BANG! You got a winner and we all know, deep in our BlackBerry hearts this is not working.

Just my thoughts.

Posted with BlackBerry Z30
    06-16-15 08:33 AM
    I agree completely. Chen said that part of the security of BlackBerry is embedded in the hardware, which is why they need to manufacture the phone themselves (so to speak) . If they can adapt that to work with android and maintain their legendary security. BANG! You got a winner and we all know, deep in our BlackBerry hearts this is not working.

Just my thoughts.

Posted with BlackBerry Z30
    Sadly it doesn't work that way. Having secure hardware is important, but you need to then run a secure system on top of that hardware. The secure hardware just allows you to ensure that nothing has gotten on the hardware before the intended OS. But if that OS is vulnerable the end system is vulnerable. For example if you install Windows XP (pre SP-1) on a modern UEFI machine, it will still be pwnd in under an hour of going on the internet.

Or to think of it another way, it doesn't matter how good the locks, doors and windows on your house are if you leave them all open.
    oystersourced likes this.
    06-16-15 10:16 AM
    I don't like Android on BB.
    Instead, I hope BB can lower their device price to people can afford.
    And People would own BB as a second/alternate phone instead.
    06-16-15 08:25 PM
    I'm currently on a Q10 and looking to upgrade, and the Slider is a strong contender... but I'm starting to think they should adopt Android.

I think visually BB10 is the superior platform, it looks so polished compared to Android and some versions of Android look absolutely ghastly, but I think the lack of major apps on BlackBerry is going to continue to be a major sticking point - even for enterprise users, many of whom need access to all social networks for their job.

So I'm beginning to think I'd support the Slider launching with a heavily modified version of Android on it - BlackBerry's security baked in, with the Hub, and the entire visual language redesigned to look and feel just like BB10, but actually powered by Android, with access to all Google services, and access to the full Google play store. That also means I could buy a smart watch to pair with my BlackBerry.

To me, it seems like a logical solution now, probably 6 years too slow. Would you support it, if it looked and felt like BB10?
    No, no and no, apparently you never used Lollipop? I would use BB10 if it were on a Samsung with a PKB is about as perverted as I'd get. I'm so enthralled with my Passport it may be the, YOU'LL HAVE TO PRY IT FROM MY DEAD, COLD HANDS! Which at age 60 could be soon!
    06-16-15 09:26 PM
    As soon as it is confirmed they work on android device, i'm selling my Passport and goodbye BlackBerry you wont see me again. BBOS is the best mobile operating system to my eyes. If I have to get used to Android, I better do it with a compagny that has experience

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Does your Passport suddenly stop working after they announce Android or what?

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 10:04 PM
    Well I almost made my Q10 an android device. It's not a good idea at all. I downloaded and launched almost everything I had on my previous android device ( galaxy note 3). And the result is just too much lagging and it would harm your devices because you'll have too many unknown sources.
    Would you support an Android BB?-img_20150617_051815.png
    Would you support an Android BB?-img_20150617_051821.png

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 10:20 PM
    Q10's not really fast enough. Night and day with the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    anon(55900) likes this.
    06-17-15 03:49 AM
    Well I almost made my Q10 an android device. It's not a good idea at all. I downloaded and launched almost everything I had on my previous android device ( galaxy note 3). And the result is just too much lagging and it would harm your devices because you'll have too many unknown sources.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150617_051815.png 
Views:	430 
Size:	398.6 KB 
ID:	357967
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150617_051821.png 
Views:	430 
Size:	376.3 KB 
ID:	357968

Posted via CB10
    If it was safe and easy to install so many apps we wouldn't be having this conversation I'm sure.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 08:46 AM
    If it was safe and easy to install so many apps we wouldn't be having this conversation I'm sure.

Posted via CB10

Would you support an Android BB?-right.jpg

Posted via my awesome Classic
    06-17-15 08:56 AM
    No because I hate Android.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 09:44 AM
    Not really as I do not need a PKB. If I wanted a PKB then yes because a forked Android is not good enough for me.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 11:23 AM
    Nope.

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2204
    06-18-15 12:42 PM
515 ... 1011121314 ...