Not exactly the same. Flash was "replaced" with HTML5 of similar functionality. Android runtime, if removed from users who purchased the device for such uses as are not in BBW (proprietary security system & cameras via ip, for example), there would be a basis for a class action lawsuit BlackBerry Passport & other owners would easily lodge on contingency, but BlackBerry would surely ill afford the upfront costs of defense.
    Lawsuit? No chance. If you upgrade to 10.4, you agree to having an OS without the Android runtime. Something like that.
    07-08-15 08:47 AM
    If you're talking about the BlackPhone, supposedly the most secure Android, it's not very secure :/

It took hackers what, like 15 minutes to Crack the ROM?

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2204
    No, not BlackPhone. But that is a good example of how difficult it is to go from a reference build of Android to a secure version. But it also depends on what you consider secure, which is a very personal thing.
    07-08-15 08:58 AM
    Inaccurate...

If no notice is given & no reasonable replacement offered it IS actionable. They BEST not do it since their self interest for acquisition of google licenses for other devices... that would argue in most jurisdictions handily...

QUOTE=deadcowboy;11774110]Lawsuit? No chance. If you upgrade to 10.4, you agree to having an OS without the Android runtime. Something like that.[/QUOTE]
    07-08-15 09:12 AM
    Lawsuit? No chance. If you upgrade to 10.4, you agree to having an OS without the Android runtime. Something like that.
    I have no reason to think the BB dev team are good enough to fix their own spaghetti codes. It will take a very huge effort and money to get rid of the Android run time on BB10 even if it means just to disable it.
    07-08-15 10:50 AM
    N4bb says BlackBerry registered an android domain name.

https://n4bb.com/blackberry-registered-android-domain/

Posted via my awesome Passport
    07-08-15 11:46 AM
    Maybe Windows will join up with Android / Google too....

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-r...tag=CAD1acfa04

Funny how rumors work....

I'll still be using Blackberry, until I no longer can.

Flying Spaghetti Monster running 10.3.2.840
    07-08-15 12:35 PM
    Ditto.
    And wait for BlackBerry to show the magic of QNX

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    07-08-15 07:06 PM
    I only want the same gesture and UI

 CB10 - Q10 - 10.3.2.680 
    07-08-15 07:07 PM
    Would you support an Android BB?-img_20150629_090736.png

Blackberry has enough issues with just trying to get more popular again. I don't think they need a Google debacle. I also don't think Chen...as good and wonderful as he is can possible secure Google. Google has no interest in privacy....because then they can no longer make money.

07-08-15 08:01 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150629_090736.png 
Views:	317 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	361583

Blackberry has enough issues with just trying to get more popular again. I don't think they need a Google debacle. I also don't think Chen...as good and wonderful as he is can possible secure Google. Google has no interest in privacy....because then they can no longer make money.

What the actual fck. Wasn't Samsung doing something like this with their Smart TV's too.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 08:35 PM
    I am not able to comprehend why BlackBerry would dispense with existing customers who use android runtime regularly to attempt to attract customers to an android model up against daunting competitors... managerial flailing is unseemly & looks to be "dead-cat-bounce" in my view...
    07-09-15 02:25 AM
    I am not able to comprehend why BlackBerry would dispense with existing customers who use android runtime regularly to attempt to attract customers to an android model up against daunting competitors... managerial flailing is unseemly & looks to be "dead-cat-bounce" in my view...
    Well since you don't know what BlackBerry is going to do, trying to derive motive for a plan that has been made up by speculating on unsubstantiated rumours, your lack of comprehension is understandable. Wait until BlackBerry actually does something, it will be easier to understand.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.798 SR 10.3.2.516
    07-09-15 06:24 AM
    First, obscurity is a BlackBerry hallmark that will drive people away.

Second, this obscurity follows their actions serious business users & casual users both will find off-putting.

Third, some (myself included) sense they (blackberry) don't even know what they intend to do or, for that matter, even what they have done (viz: the failure to post a changelog for many months).

Fourth, the bright presentation of disastrous balance sheets is disconcerting. If I ran my household budget that way, we would be living out of our car by now.

Well since you don't know what BlackBerry is going to do, trying to derive motive for a plan that has been made up by speculating on unsubstantiated rumours, your lack of comprehension is understandable. Wait until BlackBerry actually does something, it will be easier to understand.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.798 SR 10.3.2.516
    Batibreaker likes this.
    07-09-15 09:36 PM

Second, this obscurity follows their actions serious business users & casual users both will find off-putting.

Third, some (myself included) sense they (blackberry) don't even know what they intend to do or, for that matter, even what they have done (viz: the failure to post a changelog for many months).

Fourth, the bright presentation of disastrous balance sheets is disconcerting. If I ran my household budget that way, we would be living out of our car by now.
    Pure pseudo intellectual BS. Their balance sheets are improving. They are securing business with other companies. They are offering new products and software.I dumped android to come back to Blackberry and couldn't be more happy. As I have said before, let's say worst case scenario....they stop publicly trading. Then what? They remain a private company and still make niche market devices and BES...and I will still remain a happy customer not having to use Android or Apple. So it's still a win.

Richard Buckley likes this.
    07-09-15 10:37 PM
    Pure pseudo intellectual BS. Their balance sheets are improving. They are securing business with other companies. They are offering new products and software.I dumped android to come back to Blackberry and couldn't be more happy. As I have said before, let's say worst case scenario....they stop publicly trading. Then what? They remain a private company and still make niche market devices and BES...and I will still remain a happy customer not having to use Android or Apple. So it's still a win.

As much as I'd like to agree with you, the reality is that the worst case scenario is BlackBerry's stock completely dips for some reason and everyone pulls out and they're bankrupt because they can't meet operating costs

But otherwise, yeah!

07-10-15 06:06 AM

I actually agree with both of you. It does seem that, business-wise, BlackBerry has too many forks in the fire, as though lurching from endeavor to endeavor, trying to figure out what to do next. At the same time, they have been managing their balance sheet quite well and some of these new business wins bolster their credibility.
    07-10-15 01:43 PM

+10

Aside of that, Chen's only ability is to speak for ever saying nothing at all.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 11:39 PM
    Hell no.

Thumb-flicked from my Z30 via CB10
    Asvertus likes this.
    08-12-15 12:17 AM
    Pancakes!!

Passport  - Tthe Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Apparel | Headshop | Vapeshop | Tattoos
    08-12-15 01:09 AM
    While it is possible that Blackberry will release a low-end all-Android phone to replace the low-end BBs, it makes zero sense for them to outright replace BB10 with Android at this point in time, if ever. For one, they don't need to. By opening up BES and BBM to all platforms there is no need to change the OS. Handset manufacturers don't make much money from handset sales; if anything, they break even. It cost Apple close to $200 in parts and labor just to build one 16 gig iPhone 5 (iPhone 6 is likely the same). Even though it retailed for just over $600, when you take into account the salaries paid and money spent on R&D, advertising, and so on, that $400 difference is going to disappear fast. Bottom line; Apple profits from iPhone users through iTunes and/or the App Store, not handset sales. Same is true for Samsung, LG, HTC, Microsoft, and so on, but each with their own respective stores.

Blackberry is surely getting their cut of sales from Amazon App purchases. Considering that Amazon is doing all of the heavy lifting what ever small percentage BB is getting in reality is more "profit" than not. This will allow BB to put resources into BES, BBM, and one or two other projects that they already do extremely well instead of managing a full blown app store.

Second; BB has too much invested into BB10 at this point to ditch it completely. To all of a sudden switch to Android now would be wasteful and down right ludicrous. All of their developmental teams would have to change; not as easy of a task as it may seem. It would be a major undertaking that would take BB back three years. "Open source" or not, it's not like a team of developers can crank out a fully functioning Android OS overnight, but I suspect that if the rumors are true then BB has been working on this for awhile now. I mean, even iOS and WinPhone have bugs and Apple and Microsoft both employ the best programmers/coders from around the world. If Apple cannot get it together with iOS after nearly 8 years with some of the best programmers in the world why would anyone expect a BB Android to be kick *** right out of the gate? It would suck worse than BB 10.0; at least initially.

And, they don't have to part 2: BB10 already has Android Run Time built into the OS. It makes way more sense, and would be a heckofalot more cost effective, for BB to simply improve on ART, improve Android app notifications, and what ever else, than it does to but a "BB10 skin" over Android or to build an Android Hub. The only reason why any one would want an Android BB would be for the apps anyways, and everyone should know by know that a BB Android handset will not ship with the Google Play store nor have native access to Google Services (but I am sure there would be a hack for that).

With that, no, I would not support an Android BB.

What the actual fck. Wasn't Samsung doing something like this with their Smart TV's too.

Posted via CB10
    Don't know if Samsung was actually listening in, it was just found that they could if they wanted to.

I don't run android apps. I'd just rather have a cleaner OS without the bloat of an Android runtime sitting there in the background, even if it's not stealing power. It's just a matter of having a more pure and confident phone. That's all.

It's about simplicity. Simpler the better. Excise the unnecessary crap (though I do applaud BlackBerry for what is a decent runtime that's been really well integrated into the OS).

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. However ART was the solution to the "app gap".

If you're talking about the BlackPhone, supposedly the most secure Android, it's not very secure :/

It took hackers what, like 15 minutes to Crack the ROM?

The actual phone that was hacked contained an older version of the OS; by the time it was hacked the loophole had already been patched.
    m1kr0 and Joshu42 like this.
    08-12-15 09:51 AM
    No ill never support android!!!

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 02:03 PM
    No, but I would support bb10 with a better interface for Android, there are one 2 or 3 actual Google functions that I'd like but nothing a deal breaker I not, I've greatly reduced Googles hold on me.
    08-12-15 02:28 PM
    I bought a BlackBerry to NOT use android. So no

Posted via CB10
    Best answer for this question. BlackBerry should think about this.

Batibreaker and Asvertus like this.
    08-12-15 05:34 PM
    I wouldn't support it. Blackberry is so ahead... Why would it go and accept a less powerful OS ? For Market Shares ?
    Well, for market shares invest in marketing and communication.
    Focusing only on "professionals" is a mistake.
    That's actually what made Blackberry loose market shares...
    Nowadays you need to focus on both markets: mass consumers & professionals. Because mass consumers are professionals and the other way around.
    Blackberry 10 is soooooo ahead !!! It would just need more apps, more marketing and communication and mass consumers would get back to it.
    Android and iOS are absolutely not professional friendly... And they own the market. Though, since mass consumers love using it for their personnal lives, they will keep it for work also when both OS are absolutely not efficient for work... But still... People love it, because they have all their apps so...

Blackberry should focus more on the double use people want and demand.
    08-12-15 06:52 PM
    Usually I was really happy with my bb10 os and would not use Android.

But after the os had killed my encrypted Memory Card "I'm only copied a file from my pc to the berry via USB, I hate this os, and android cannot be the wrongest way... nothing is perfect, but I really dislike my Passport after It had killed 500 photos from my Holiday in Oxford...

So yeah, I would give Android a Chance...

モーニング娘。15 ... my BlackBerryZ : Storm9500, Torch9860, Bold9900, Z10, Passport
    08-13-15 01:12 AM
515 ... 1617181920 ...