Choice for usage, but targeted ads on native (so called) for BlackBerry apps from BlackBerry world says otherwise... Many of those apps have permission switches grayed out...
    One of those was Scoreloop, now gone. A great many others are Android apps repackaged for BlackBerry World. What other BlackBerry native applications have permissions greyed out?

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.798 SR 10.3.2.516
    07-06-15 03:56 AM
    With all the HYPE about bbOS being so secure, will they be next ??

http://www.zdnet.com/article/hacking...tag=YHFb1d24ec

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 08:40 AM
    Wrong. No periodic anything is sent to Android/Google if it is not installed. You can even choose if you wanna share anything with Blackberry...they give you a choice when you set up your device. "Send anonymous usage data or no?"
    Android run time comes pre-installed and running and transmitting your info as long as your phone is powered. Whether you install any Android app or not is irrelevant. You don't get to chose what you want to share with it, the run time simply decide what is good for you.
    07-06-15 08:57 AM

http://www.zdnet.com/article/hacking...tag=YHFb1d24ec

Posted via CB10
    If they build an Android phone, yeah. If they stick with BlackBerry10, while it is feasible they could be hacked, highly doubt it. It's still the most secure hardware level1 -> User UI boot method (the entire process is secured)

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2204
    07-06-15 08:57 AM
    Android run time comes pre-installed and running and transmitting your info as long as your phone is powered. Whether you install any Android app or not is irrelevant. You don't get to chose what you want to share with it, the run time simply decide what is good for you.
    And where do you get this idea that it's transmitting info no matter what? And yes in fact, you do get to choose what is transmitted. Not sure if you're aware, but BlackBerry actually made this branch of the Android interface from a fork, so they've pre-cracked down on everything and secured it.

Even without any Google services installed? (because obviously those transmit info)

07-06-15 08:58 AM

Hacking Team hit by breach; leak suggests it sold spyware to oppressive regimes | ZDNet

Posted via CB10
    BB10 devices secured by Android.
    07-06-15 08:58 AM
    And where do you get this idea that it's transmitting info no matter what? And yes in fact, you do get to choose what is transmitted. Not sure if you're aware, but BlackBerry actually made this branch of the Android interface from a fork, so they've pre-cracked down on everything and secured it.

Even without any Google services installed? (because obviously those transmit info)
    Try device monitor.
    07-06-15 09:00 AM
    Try device monitor.
    And what exactly do you think it's transmitting?

07-06-15 09:02 AM
    And what exactly do you think it's transmitting?
    No comment.
    07-06-15 09:04 AM
    I have the device... it is QNX/BB10. The only Android runtime is user installed by choice. Whether that involves using Amazon App store (Android) or Google Play(Android).

Flying Spaghetti Monster running 10.3.2.840
    07-06-15 12:22 PM
    I don't care what happens.

I will be using my Q10 and my Z10 for the next three years.

By then, something better would have come out.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 12:56 PM
    If you dont like the android run time, dont run any android apps on your device.

Posted via CB10
    I don't run android apps. I'd just rather have a cleaner OS without the bloat of an Android runtime sitting there in the background, even if it's not stealing power. It's just a matter of having a more pure and confident phone. That's all.

It's about simplicity. Simpler the better. Excise the unnecessary crap (though I do applaud BlackBerry for what is a decent runtime that's been really well integrated into the OS).

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 09:40 PM
    I don't run android apps. I'd just rather have a cleaner OS without the bloat of an Android runtime sitting there in the background, even if it's not stealing power. It's just a matter of having a more pure and confident phone. That's all.

It's about simplicity. Simpler the better. Excise the unnecessary crap (though I do applaud BlackBerry for what is a decent runtime that's been really well integrated into the OS).
    Looking at the way BB10 is heading, it is impossible to even have the option of disabling the Android run time. This run time is now part of the BB10 operating system.
    07-06-15 09:48 PM
    Nope. Had android, not a fan. I do hope they release a BB10 version of that sweet slider phone!

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 09:49 PM
    Looking at the way BB10 is heading, it is impossible to even have the option of disabling the Android run time. This run time is now part of the BB10 operating system.
    Won't that be a contractual conflict if/when BlackBerry releases an Android phone with Google services?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 10:49 PM
    Won't that be a contractual conflict if/when BlackBerry releases an Android phone with Google services?

Posted via CB10
    It will be dealt with like flash. A future update whether its 10.4 or later won't have the runtime. Existing devices that don't update will keep its features.
    07-06-15 10:54 PM
    There is a real need for a secure Android experience. I would give my left kidney for a android based blackberry with the blackberry keyboard and hub.
    Would you though?
    07-07-15 01:55 PM
    It will be dealt with like flash. A future update whether its 10.4 or later won't have the runtime. Existing devices that don't update will keep its features.
    This is exactly what I'm excited about. 10.3 has been a supremely transitional os. 10.4 will be interesting if it ever happens.
    07-07-15 02:01 PM
    There is a real need for a secure Android experience. I would give my left kidney for a android based blackberry with the blackberry keyboard and hub.
    Well you can buy a secure Android experience, and for a lot less than the cost of a kidney, I imagine. They don't have Google Play Services though.

07-07-15 03:37 PM
    I would so support. Blackberry already made a strong platform and Android it self is a able platform and if the higher up thinks its good. Then I'm all for it. Plus BlackBerry knows how to make a device. Hands down I would pick up any BlackBerry.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    07-07-15 03:55 PM
    Well you can buy a secure Android experience, and for a lot less than the cost of a kidney, I imagine. They don't have Google Play Services though.

If you're talking about the BlackPhone, supposedly the most secure Android, it's not very secure :/

It took hackers what, like 15 minutes to Crack the ROM?

07-07-15 04:11 PM
    That would be nice, if they know how undo it or repackage a previous OS to start over as 10.4.
    07-07-15 09:10 PM
    Not exactly the same. Flash was "replaced" with HTML5 of similar functionality. Android runtime, if removed from users who purchased the device for such uses as are not in BBW (proprietary security system & cameras via ip, for example), there would be a basis for a class action lawsuit BlackBerry Passport & other owners would easily lodge on contingency, but BlackBerry would surely ill afford the upfront costs of defense.
    07-08-15 02:25 AM
    Not exactly the same. Flash was "replaced" with HTML5 of similar functionality. Android runtime, if removed from users who purchased the device for such uses as are not in BBW (proprietary security system & cameras via ip, for example), there would be a basis for a class action lawsuit BlackBerry Passport & other owners would easily lodge on contingency, but BlackBerry would surely ill afford the upfront costs of defense.
    While many would be angry and upset about a lack of apps, how could that possibly be a basis for a class action lawsuit? Lmfao

07-08-15 06:44 AM
    I like BlackBerry OS10, that's why I am a z10-z30-Passport-finally Classic user and pay for all de ecosystem, If they release an Android device... What will be the difference with Lanix, Nyx, M4tel, etc unknown brands with good specs?

Certainly I will not give my money just for specs, there a huge list of options in Android better than BlackBerry.

No reason to support it.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
    07-08-15 08:13 AM
515 ... 1516171819 ...