So you're saying that you're not happy with current Android ecosystem? Why not ask for BBOS for other devices? I'm sure BlackBerry will be happy to sell it's OS.

Posted via CB, using a Q5
    No, I'm saying I don't like how it runs on BlackBerry.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-20-15 02:48 PM
    With a BB10 skin on it without losing out on the native feel of android environment I would definitely support it. At least the biggest and the only issue of the App Gap and the tie in with Google ecosystem would be addressed.

Posted via CB10
    Think this has been beaten to death already plenty of times but for the sake of clarity let me try once more:
    To be able to get the Google Services Framework and have access to Google Play Store and Google Services, BlackBerry can't do anything to stock standard Android except put a skin on it at best. Forget the wild dreams of BlackBerry secretly modifying Android to be so secure and BlackBerry-like and at the same time have the blessing of Google to access the Play Store as well as Google Services Framework.

So effectively you will be running stock standard (skinned) Android. It can't be made "more safe" or "more secure" or more whatever due to the OHA restrictions. IDK how BlackBerry will be able to preserve the "native feel" as you put it. It will be skin deep only. It's like putting makeup on a pig: it still is what it is, a pig.

Now why would anyone bother with a BlackBerry handset (BlackBerry hardware) running a skinned Android if you can pick up a very competitively priced pukka Android phone running Android and have all the goodies that you so want? I know what I would do if I really need Google Services that bad (and buying a BlackBerry- Android is not one of the options that comes to mind here).

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 02:56 PM
    Think this has been beaten to death already plenty of times but for the sake of clarity let me try once more:
    To be able to get the Google Services Framework and have access to Google Play Store and Google Services, BlackBerry can't do anything to stock standard Android except put a skin on it at best. Forget the wild dreams of BlackBerry secretly modifying Android to be so secure and BlackBerry-like and at the same time have the blessing of Google to access the Play Store as well as Google Services Framework.

So effectively you will be running stock standard (skinned) Android. It can't be made "more safe" or "more secure" or more whatever due to the OHA restrictions. IDK how BlackBerry will be able to preserve the "native feel" as you put it. It will be skin deep only. It's like putting makeup on a pig: it still is what it is, a pig.

Now why would anyone bother with a BlackBerry handset (BlackBerry hardware) running a skinned Android if you can pick up a very competitively priced pukka Android phone running Android and have all the goodies that you so want? I know what I would do if I really need Google Services that bad (and buying a BlackBerry- Android is not one of the options that comes to mind here).

Posted via CB10
    It might if you wanted a PKB and all the apps. Going Android on PKB'S is the kiss of death for all touch BB10

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 08:14 PM
    I want the hub though. It's the best thing about any phone I've ever owned.

What's in this for BlackBerry? There is no money in selling phones so where is this helping them? Must be tied to EMM or software.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 10:54 PM
    Why are you comparing to iPhone?

Passport is the only exception. They release a few other phones in the last 6 months - all pathetic specs.

Why don't you say anything about the PKB? Cause you can't - they suck. Not to mention their ridiculous idea to place the power button on top instead of on the side.

Oh, I got a few more for you:
    Q10 battery was loose fit and when you put the phone on the table it restarts (hundreds of users with this problem). Passport screen lifting up. Q10 speakers dead. Q10 screen brightness never auto adjust

List is endless. I would much rather see a Nokia device with BB10 than seeing a BlackBerry with Android.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, I like most people I know preferred the power button on top. It just makes more sense to me and is in a convenient place.

The PKB's are excellent and in my opinion 100x better than any screen based nonsense and I have used numerous all touch devices including my current Z30 and none can come close to the PKB, stop whining.

Why Blackberry? Because I can!
    06-20-15 11:21 PM
    The idea is great. Maybe this would get BlackBerry on the market with the high players.

Would I buy one? No! Never with Android.

So my thought is that BlackBerry should make in parallel with bb10 some android powered devices for the large audience. Or even let you choose if you want your device with your preferred operating system.

Posted with my rocket powered Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.680
    06-21-15 01:43 AM
    Ok. I support it as long as it is made by BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 01:53 AM

What's in this for BlackBerry? There is no money in selling phones so where is this helping them? Must be tied to EMM or software.

Posted via CB10
    This has been announced long ago. You can have the hub on any phone soon so less reasons to stick with BlackBerry hardware imo.
    http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/03/...ry-experience/
    Perhaps a few die-hard keyboard users will stick with BlackBerry hardware (the full touch BlackBerry 10 users outnumber the pkb users several times over as it stands now).

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 02:11 AM
    This has been announced long ago. You can have the hub on any phone soon so less reasons to stick with BlackBerry hardware imo.
    http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/03/...ry-experience/
    Perhaps a few die-hard keyboard users will stick with BlackBerry hardware (the full touch BlackBerry 10 users outnumber the pkb users several times over as it stands now).

Posted via CB10
    Hub on Android? Lol. I would hate to see that circus. Half of the 100,000,000 Apps they have can't function correctly....let alone any type of hub. Lol

ρō�┬Єđ bұ mұ Ů�� ρÚ�ρōЯ┬. 10.3.2.840
    06-21-15 10:49 AM
    The day when BlackBerry release an android phone I'll buy Han iphone and live struggling ever after

Posted via Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    Why would you do that to yourself?

Most people saying they would pay $100's need to just get an android and be done with it. If you don't see a future for BB10 then adios.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    06-21-15 11:04 AM
    Hub on Android? Lol. I would hate to see that circus. Half of the 100,000,000 Apps they have can't function correctly....let alone any type of hub. Lol

Lol. Agree, prefer my Hub right here on my BlackBerry but BlackBerry says they will roll this out on all devices later this year (screen capture): https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=25_N4uRmtf4

Would you support an Android BB?-img_20150621_181623.png

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 11:23 AM
    Yesterday , I've updated my Moto X to Lollipop and I wonder - is the name duller than the navigation buttons? But that's just the first impression.

Seriously, what is wrong with everyone ? What android is doing now is mix match design, new icons, ADDED BUILT IN FLASHLIGHT (finally, after 7 years) and some new menu animations - it's all gimmick. OK, ART is the only real improvement, lots of other changes are a step back. It's an iOS wannabe OS.

So I wonder is the world really full with so many blind people, people with semi flat brains, ones that can't draw their own judgments? And the answer is - yes, it is full.

Call it rant, block me, kick me, call me hater, do whatever you want, but I blame those same people for killing Symbian, Maemo/MeeGo, WebOS.

And now, some of those people want to kill the only "outside the box" OS, the OS that has almost all the built in tools for business. What for??? For drawing apps that track your location (why?) or for maps that access your phone number (why?), and entire OS that tracks every touch you make.

If you want Android - go buy a Samsung , LG, Sony, HTC - so many options. But please don't help with the death of the last "out side the box" OS that it has its own problems and yet is aages ahead of those OS designed for kids tablets.

What BlackBerry needs is cash to advertise it's awesome product. I really hoped last year that Cisco will buy them out.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by djsvetljo; 06-21-15 at 01:13 PM.
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    06-21-15 01:01 PM

What BlackBerry needs is cash to advertise it's awesome product. I really hoped last year that Cisco will buy them out.
    Posted via CB10
    What BlackBerry needs is a very big Android scandal, an not a small one, no a very big one... a vulnerability, a Google confession about data stealing, a big hack.. some very big lawsuits that bring Google back down to earth... ( and I really hope that will happen to them...some day. So that the reign of Google ends or comes to a halt ) where everybody wakes up and rethinking about the next phone they want to buy... and that should be the moment that BlackBerry kicks in with very big advertisements...

Posted via my awesome Classic
    06-21-15 02:31 PM
    If BlackBerry made an android phone that operated EXACTLY like BB10 with gestures, hub, UI appearance, quick settings I would. Because then, we'd have the app situation fixed. If they mirror BB10 exactly, then we wouldn't even be able to tell. Wish that were the case.
    Agreed. This is the only way I would purchase an Android based BlackBerry. Android's clunky outdated, non-intuitive UI is so buried it cannot be seen at all.

Posted via CB10
    fishlove73 likes this.
    06-21-15 02:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    There's no money in for them running a free open source OS either. There's money for (Android)App developers...but not blackberry in this picture.

06-21-15 03:29 PM
    There's no money in for them running a free open source OS either. There's money for (Android)App developers...but not blackberry in this picture.

Well since the BlackBerry experience suites are for purchase products that makes BlackBerry an Android, iOS, WP and BlackBerry developer.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.798 SR 10.3.2.516
    06-21-15 04:10 PM
    What BlackBerry needs is a very big Android scandal, an not a small one, no a very big one... a vulnerability, a Google confession about data stealing, a big hack.. some very big lawsuits that bring Google back down to earth... ( and I really hope that will happen to them...some day. So that the reign of Google ends or comes to a halt ) where everybody wakes up and rethinking about the next phone they want to buy... and that should be the moment that BlackBerry kicks in with very big advertisements...

Posted via my awesome Classic
    That would work too, but it has to be extremely big. Most not so techy people call most Androids Galaxies

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 05:46 PM
    Well since the BlackBerry experience suites are for purchase products that makes BlackBerry an Android, iOS, WP and BlackBerry developer.

Right, but that is different from the topic....a BlackBerry device running android..IF Blackberry ditched their OS for Android...that would be a disaster.

06-21-15 10:57 PM
    There aren't enough BlackBerry fans to sustain the handset division anymore.

You forget that most people who are buying smartphones NEED Snapchat, Instagram, specific Games, etc, because they are deluded into thinking that they are important in the world due to this social persona they've created, and that these apps are their means to remain relevant.

Basically, most people are pretty lame. And they need apps! Hundreds of them. It's their secret sauce to maintaining their amazingly boring lives.
    Give me a break. I use a BlackBerry and I still play games on it periodically. Yea the reliance on social media is abysmally high I won't argue there, but to knock things simply because BlackBerry 10 can't do them (or in the cases it can, can't do them as well) is childish. I can't run as fast as Usain Bolt, so he's pretty boring and lame. Smh.

Posted via CB10
    fishlove73 likes this.
    06-21-15 11:21 PM
    Right, but that is different from the topic....a BlackBerry device running android..IF Blackberry ditched their OS for Android...that would be a disaster.

I happen to agree with you, but that is pure speculation none the less.

06-22-15 08:16 AM

I guess you are not far from the truth, since they invested time and money in bb10.
    Another way of putting it is the compromise they would have to make in terms of security. Of course they would invest in improving android's security, but with so many glitches, that will take time and money.

The other side of it is the public's response to this change, since there are a bunch of BlackBerry 10 users that would switch to other phone manufacturers if this occurs, and I guess no-one knows if any Samsung, HTC, etc user would chose to go with BlackBerry even with Android on it.

06-22-15 09:31 AM
    Yes the apps issue is a problem. BlackBerry needs to find a way to get more apps. Could be a voluntary Non OHA group. Could be a skinned Android. I suspect though that the only solution will be for Enterprise units.

It does not help that BlackBerry has no devices with broad appeal. The Passport as good as it may be is too wide and the Leap should be priced lower .
    BlackBerry needs one really good 4/3 screened PKB, the slider, small phone Q10 and a high end all touch. They also need a really cheap just above cost device for Africa and India.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 10:43 AM
    I guess you are not far from the truth, since they invested time and money in bb10.
    Another way of putting it is the compromise they would have to make in terms of security. Of course they would invest in improving android's security, but with so many glitches, that will take time and money.

The other side of it is the public's response to this change, since there are a bunch of BlackBerry 10 users that would switch to other phone manufacturers if this occurs, and I guess no-one knows if any Samsung, HTC, etc user would chose to go with BlackBerry even with Android on it.

I absolutely feel you there. They will have an incredible task explaining to the shareholders the time and money wasted on developing BB10 . But perhaps they got to a point where they have to cut the losses, admit defeat with BB10 and move on.

The BlackBerry experience suite is a sure way they can achieve selling Android as the primary OS on a new BlackBerry, get access to all the apps as well as securing and ensuring the BlackBerry experience remains there. How secure can they make Android/Windows/IOS by simply running the Experience Suite on top of the native OS is another debate. At least BlackBerry seem to think they can else they would not even attempt it. Perhaps a consumer grade Android phone with a full BlackBerry Experience Suite would be 'good enough' for the majority of people bar the BlackBerry purists, who knows. We know the average consumer has no clue about security or privacy and neither do they care.

Of course all of the above remains pure speculation. Would I personally prefer an Android BlackBerry over BB10? No.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by m1kr0; 06-22-15 at 11:25 AM.
    06-22-15 10:50 AM
    That's all I care about, a working hub. It's the only thing that keeps my Z30 out of the desk drawer (keyboard is good too, but the hub is the one awesome standout attribute).
    06-22-15 02:46 PM
    Nope,that's the whole reason why I bought a BlackBerry Passport. If I wanted an Android phone, I would have bought an Android phone. If Blackberry made an Android phone then it would just alienate the loyal BlackBerry users. They should just strengthen their platform and core applications together with their third-party software, instead of trying to compete with the other Android manufactured phones. As I have said in another thread, "BlackberryWorld" should have the "FREE VERSION","TRIAL VERSION",and the "PAID VERSION ". As a loyal BlackBerry user it is annoying that the "FREE VERSION "has ads and nags you to upgrade. Quite distasteful. Some core applications could use some enhancements. Other applications like Facebook, Twitter, etc should be a par with other platforms. If BlackBerry attempts to try to be some thing that it is not,then truly BlackBerry will never be what it was meant to be. All would be lost in vain.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 06:03 PM
515 ... 1213141516 ...