i would support it. Will it happen, probably not.
    It will happen unfortunately. But I don't want it to happen.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 08:32 PM
    You know Android is Linux based, don't you?

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.798 SR 10.3.2.516
    Kinda like a based on a true story movie. http://www.howtogeek.com/189036/andr...oes-that-mean/

So you are saying that android is as secure as Linux. Think of Android as the end of the grape vine. You may have an idea of what the original story was but it has been changed to the point it is a different story than the original. I'll take a pure Linux system over android or ios any day

Posted via CB10
    fishlove73 likes this.
    06-10-15 09:06 PM
    Kinda like a based on a true story movie. http://www.howtogeek.com/189036/andr...oes-that-mean/

So you are saying that android is as secure as Linux. Think of Android as the end of the grape vine. You may have an idea of what the original story was but it has been changed to the point it is a different story than the original. I'll take a pure Linux system over android or ios any day

Posted via CB10
    You won't find any mobile device that meets the definition of a Linux distribution used in that article. But then you you have to exclude router, NAS, security cameras and a long list of other devices that run a Linux distribution that isn't a mainline version with X, all the libraries and programs installed. If you want to be that narrow in your definition of what you mean by Linux you should use more precise language.

06-10-15 09:28 PM
    Nope. I live life richly without those.

ρō�┬Єđ bұ mұ Ů�� ρÚ�ρōЯ┬.
    Cool, me too.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 08:58 AM
    as long as I get all the features and snappines of the bb10 os I wouldn't mind too much, I would probably get an android based passport too
    06-11-15 08:59 AM
    You won't find any mobile device that meets the definition of a Linux distribution used in that article. But then you you have to exclude router, NAS, security cameras and a long list of other devices that run a Linux distribution that isn't a mainline version with X, all the libraries and programs installed. If you want to be that narrow in your definition of what you mean by Linux you should use more precise language.

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/devices

This a real Linux phone... this could be the one I buy, when BlackBerry decide to go Android

Posted via my awesome Classic
    fishlove73 likes this.
    06-11-15 04:49 PM

I assume Android can be secured - well enough, as it's the only OS that is currently being talked about by the DISA or DARPA.
    In my opinion, iOS is probably the most secure mainstream mobile OS today. I wouldn't have said that three or four versions ago, though. The QNX people have pointed out several reasons why securing Android is problematic. The first is the large, large kernel with over a million lines of code. But, just as importantly, is the culture. Using an Android device is in no small part about rooting and hacking. If BlackBerry goes Android/Knox, it will be hacked and its reputation will burn.

Some people have mentioned the possibility of running a full version of Android in a "hypervisor" virtual machine. This might give BlackBerry 10 access to Google Services and the Play Store. And BlackBerry 10 would be the 'host' OS. That would still give BB10 some time to grow and build its community of developers and advantages. Those advantages include Blend Apps, which may well be the next generation of apps Chen talked about. It would be sad for them to give up position on the future in order to court the past.

I think you could be correct that we'll see an Android device from BlackBerry, though. There's just too much activity here on the CB boards about that. Often, in the past, when BlackBerry is about the release something, I think they start to prepare the community for it by artificially creating discussion and seeding interest here. Combined with the silence about 10.4, the fact that Chen has pretty much never talked about BlackBerry 10, but instead talks about "devices" and "hardware," and the fact that they are hosting more Android developer webinars and such than BlackBerry 10 ones, and that outreach to build a BB10 developer ecosystem has vanished, etc., I can see why people speculate that BB10's days are limited. But, as much as Android might provide a short term fix for BlackBerry's ecosystem woes, it seems like a long term mistake if it means less support and development for their own platform. The money is in the platform and if BlackBerry simply skins Android and people buy their apps from Google and license from Google, well, BlackBerry will have given up the platform to sell low margin devices. Seems kind of short-sighted...

-- B
    Allanon89 likes this.
    06-11-15 06:53 PM
    No... I want a BlackBerry because it is a BlackBerry through and through... any modification of that and I see no reason to keep using a BlackBerry.
    ^^^THIS!

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.2.680
    06-11-15 07:02 PM
    Not gonna believe it until it has come from the horses mouth. It goes against everything BlackBerry stands for. If a business uses a BlackBerry Android device and it gets hacked - BlackBerry will be ridiculed.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 07:21 PM
    BB10 is a quality smooth OS. Those of us using it know this. Since coming back to Blackberry from Android it is a whole lot more crisp and trouble free. Rooting Androids via Odin was a pain in the a@* just to get a little bit more privacy and security. And not to mention Googles invasive stalking marketing tactics. I hardly ever have to look at Ads with native Blackberry apps.

To date, Blackberry 10 is the most trouble free, hassle free OS I have used. It's a shame that Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp and Snapchat keep younger users from using such a smooth and robust OS. (even though they are easily sideloaded)

I'm a total amature and had ZERO issues upgrading BB10 OS versions and sideloading Android Apps on my Passport. I can proudly say I still download free music and movies without paying for Itunes. I also feel better about my info being backed up to either an SD or my PC via Link and Blend rather than sitting on an not so secure server in another country (someone else's cloud).

I'm totally grateful that I'm not using Android OS any longer and have had almost total serenity since using BlackBerry again. I don't understand the conversation...if one wants droid, buy an Android device. Or if one wants OSx...buy an Iphone. Myself as far as being a tech user since tech was invented came back to Blackberry for my own reasons. My second choice was a Blackphone (Silent circle) and my third choice after that might be a Firefox phone because Mozilla still cares about people privacy. But if I didn't have a choice on having Android/Google installed...I probably would no longer use a Blackberry.

ρō�┬Єđ bұ mұ Ů�� ρÚ�ρōЯ┬.
    06-11-15 07:23 PM
    No BB10 on QNX then no BlackBerry for me.

If I wanted an Android (which I vehemently don't) I'd get a Nexus6.

Z10 10.3.1.2267 via CB10
    Allanon89 and chgaida like this.
    06-11-15 07:26 PM
    I think it's just rumours to circumvent shareholders and traders. It's happened before with the rumour about Samsung buying BlackBerry.

Can I just ask why on earth would BlackBerry abandon it's own OS when Samsung is looking to start up itself with Tizen? This could all be a clever ploy by Samsung to unsettle BlackBerry.

Samsung would then be in a position to buy unused patents by BlackBerry for Tizen. BlackBerry shifts to Android and Samsung leaves. Tizen is born out of BB10 ashes.

Farcical...

Posted via CB10
    CuriousFellow and mefretwell like this.
    06-11-15 07:36 PM
    I've always said that blackberry should adopt android however, skin it....you know like touch wiz, HTC sense etc. That way you would still get native support of Android apps and other android features but the phone would still feel and act like a blackberry. I mean let's admit it bb10 is amazing yes but android also has some pretty nice features that would be good for BlackBerry.

As I say I'd rather have an android powered blackberry tomorrow than no blackberry at all.

33338F80
    06-11-15 09:10 PM
    Innovation. We were (and some still are) in denial. This hybrid of security, efficiency and fun is what they've been working on. Because BlackBerry is teaming up with someone less secure, I'll have to try it and see first.

New is fun...for me!

The Z10 STL 100-3 on 10.3.1.27087 BlackBerry owners on AT&T Channel C0032C652
    06-11-15 09:18 PM
    http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/devices

This a real Linux phone... this could be the one I buy, when BlackBerry decide to go Android

Posted via my awesome Classic
    Good luck if you do. I mean that genuinely, it looks like an interesting project. A few points about it being a real Linux phone. It is aimed at the emerging world rather than as head to head competition with iOS or Android. What this means long term I don't know, but it may skew the app ecosystem. The goal is to have all phone apps run across tablet and desktop, not have the phone run everything that could run on the desktop. They're using Qt so they may accomplish the goal, but Qt doesn't need X11. I've seen nothing to indicate that many of the features available to the Ubuntu desktop developer will be available to the phone developer. This doesn't mean the same application couldn't be ported to the phone, but most applications written for the desktop before the phone, or written on Fedora probably won't compile and run on the phone.
    06-11-15 09:27 PM
    I'm torn because I'm a big fan of BB10.

Can't ever picture myself with anything Apple, and android just isn't where I want to be. Windows phone it shall be if BlackBerry goes all Android lol.

Just fear for my physical keyboards. Can't imagine not having a physical keyboard lol

[Hopefully NOT edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2204 CB10
    anon(7915689) and GSM-S like this.
    06-11-15 11:15 PM
    No bb10 - no BlackBerry for me

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 11:31 PM
    I wouldn't. After having BlackBerry 10 for over a year, BlackBerry 10 is significantly superior than Android.

Posted via CB10
    GSM-S likes this.
    06-11-15 11:43 PM
    I might buy one if the Slider or PP2 run BBOS10 as main OS, and run a sandboxed Android as option similar to samsung knox arrangement.
    GSM-S likes this.
    06-11-15 11:53 PM
    No, i'll pass. Part of the love for me with the new BlackBerry devices is OS 10. Does need some tweaks? Yes, but I started 10.1 on my Q10 at the initial release, and traded in my 9900 to get it.

I don't want an Andriod device (have Galaxy 3,4, and 5, Note 2 and 3, HTC, and Sony ), or Android OS ( galaxy and Note tablets).

Been through side loads and apk file loads for the few Apps I was missing, and with the help of Cobalt, now running Play Store.

I would rather see the development time spent on making OS 10 better and better.

That said I can the desire from former Android users to have a great BlackBerry device running an OS that could deliver the app experience they desire.

Passport. Yeah it's a little weird but I love it.
    06-12-15 12:04 AM
    I'm torn because I'm a big fan of BB10.

Windows phone it shall be if BlackBerry goes all Android lol.

Just fear for my physical keyboards. Can't imagine not having a physical keyboard lol

[Hopefully NOT edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2204 CB10
    Have to agree.

Passport. Yeah it's a little weird but I love it.
    06-12-15 12:06 AM
    No

Sent from a BlackBerry Z30
    06-12-15 12:32 AM
    Then I go back to my BlackBerry Bold.

Posted via CB10
    deadcowboy likes this.
    06-12-15 01:26 AM
    I hope my passport lives long enough.
    06-12-15 03:32 AM
    No. I will not pay even a cent for an Android BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 04:10 AM
515 ... 56789 ...