So if they offered both, would you choose BlackBerry 10 without the Android runtime?

Personally I'd stick with the Passport as my daily driver and relegate Android/iOS to my tablet and never look back. Since picking up the Passport in October I've been very happy using it and could definitely live without any Android compatibility whatsoever.
    In answer to the original question: no.

In response to Reaney: Yes.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    06-07-15 07:33 AM
    Yea.. and BlackBerry 10, QNX are all part of that software base. Why drop all that for Android. Android is already saturated and expect many companies to drop out of hardware in near future. BlackBerry can make a profit in hardware as they've already proved before

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    They are not dropping BB10! Just opening another opportunity by developing an android phones! BB Services are anyway going cross platform!

The numbers are pretty less of people who loves BB10 experience and are completely devoted to it ! It becomes difficult for a company to sustain on a smaller user base! Hence another option of android!
    06-07-15 01:08 PM
    They are not dropping BB10! Just opening another opportunity by developing an android phones! BB Services are anyway going cross platform!

The numbers are pretty less of people who loves BB10 experience and are completely devoted to it ! It becomes difficult for a company to sustain on a smaller user base! Hence another option of android!
    Don't want any Android core, side software, option or other Google sh#t on my BlackBerry phone.. That's why I bought it... to get rid of Android!

O well.... it's a endless discussion

Posted via my awesome Classic
    mefretwell likes this.
    06-07-15 04:43 PM

There's many companies using android still struggling to make a profit off of it, Samsungs the only one doing really well with android, I don't think BlackBerry could compete with Sony, LG, and the many other people selling android. At least with bb10 they control the software and hardware.

Passport  - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Headshop|Vapeshop|Tattoos
    06-07-15 04:55 PM
    There's many companies using android still struggling to make a profit off of it, Samsungs the only one doing really well with android, I don't think BlackBerry could compete with Sony, LG, and the many other people selling android. At least with bb10 they control the software and hardware.

Passport  - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Headshop|Vapeshop|Tattoos
    Those companies that are struggling to make a profit still sell an enormous amount of devices compared to BlackBerry. They struggle to profit because they invest so heavily in to their mobile divisions R&D, marketing, etc etc. They're fighting over their piece of a huge Android pie... and I think BlackBerry could be better off joining that fight for a small piece of that 80% global market, rather than just being content with their 0.3% market share. I mean if they were able to grasp just 1% global market share by running Android, that would be tripling their current position.
    06-07-15 10:30 PM
    No. If I wanted an Android I would have got one. Please keep BlackBerry 10 the way it is!

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    06-07-15 10:38 PM
    Those companies that are struggling to make a profit still sell an enormous amount of devices compared to BlackBerry. They struggle to profit because they invest so heavily in to their mobile divisions R&D, marketing, etc etc. They're fighting over their piece of a huge Android pie... and I think BlackBerry could be better off joining that fight for a small piece of that 80% global market, rather than just being content with their 0.3% market share. I mean if they were able to grasp just 1% global market share by running Android, that would be tripling their current position.
    But if companies with big bank accounts like LG and Sony can't what makes you think BlackBerry stands a chance in that market, they don't have the capital to do what these other companies are trying to do, at least with bb10 they have something different to offer the consumers who do try it.

06-08-15 02:50 AM
    But if companies with big bank accounts like LG and Sony can't what makes you think BlackBerry stands a chance in that market, they don't have the capital to do what these other companies are trying to do, at least with bb10 they have something different to offer the consumers who do try it.

So you think if BlackBerry started selling full Android devices, their market share would fall even further?
    06-08-15 04:44 AM
    No

Q10 (SQN100-3 : 10.3.2.158), Passport (SQW-100 : 10.3.1.1779)
    06-08-15 12:45 PM

BlackBerry's difference is their security... but that only appeals to a small portion of the enterprise market. A market that is perhaps too small...

When it comes to the rest of the business market and consumers... there really is no place for BlackBerry anymore. And without something that makes your product different... your just a commodity and BlackBerry is trying to sell $100 barrels when the market has fallen to $60 a barrel. They will never win in the price vs. features battles that the Android players are engaged in. Unless suddenly security is seen as a KEY feature, but that is like buying stock in a boat company and hoping the world floods.
    06-08-15 03:11 PM
    BB10 OS is my choice. It is the best mobile OS with great potential for development.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 03:21 PM
    So you think if BlackBerry started selling full Android devices, their market share would fall even further?
    I believe they wouldn't do any better. Some of the contracts they get are because of there security and bb10. Competing in android is hard enough for companies bigger then BlackBerry with more disposable income, so where would BlackBerry get the money to try and do good were really almost only Samsung is doing good.

Wrec likes this.
    06-08-15 07:42 PM
    BlackBerry's difference is their security... but that only appeals to a small portion of the enterprise market. A market that is perhaps too small...

When it comes to the rest of the business market and consumers... there really is no place for BlackBerry anymore. And without something that makes your product different... your just a commodity and BlackBerry is trying to sell $100 barrels when the market has fallen to $60 a barrel. They will never win in the price vs. features battles that the Android players are engaged in. Unless suddenly security is seen as a KEY feature, but that is like buying stock in a boat company and hoping the world floods.

I agree with what your saying but what would be different about an android based BlackBerry? Not much really, and there whole security profile goes out the window. Android can only be locked down so much. It's like locking your doors, setting your alarm but leaving your windows open. Rome wasn't built in a day and I don't think BlackBerry will ever make a crazy comeback but they can still sell smartphones and make a profit if they work towards it.

06-08-15 07:45 PM
    It's certainly possible. There are a lot of Android offerings to choose from. The question is can BlackBerry differentiate itself enough, in a positive way, from all those other offerings.

The lowest cost Android won't be a BlackBerry. The highest spec Android won't be a BlackBerry. BlackBerry won't be in complete control of the platform and will have restrictions to deal with. It won't be an easy road to travel. Hopefully it pays off. Fingers crossed.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 11:07 PM
    I agree with what your saying but what would be different about an android based BlackBerry? Not much really, and there whole security profile goes out the window. Android can only be locked down so much. It's like locking your doors, setting your alarm but leaving your windows open. Rome wasn't built in a day and I don't think BlackBerry will ever make a crazy comeback but they can still sell smartphones and make a profit if they work towards it.

I have no idea to what level Android can be locked down. But it seems to be enough to qualify Android Devices for use in the US DoD. DISA | DoD Mobility Classified Capability - Secret

The BlackPhone is running a version on Android and I believe that Boeing's "Black" is also running on Android.....

So the problem I see, it there seems to be a lot of competition in this niche security market... I think BlackBerry's problem is they are trying to do a device for "everyone" and losing money. Where these other companies are focused on HIGH END (expensive) devices for Military and "secrete" work... and they are charging for it.

From what I have read, the DoD doesn't want to get tied down to one manufacture - the 2011 outage opened a lot of people's eyes to the dangers of how BlackBerry's rely on their own NOC.
    06-09-15 08:32 AM
    First choice: They get on the stick with OS 10, find a way for everyone to get updates like ios, and get it really cool and working competitively.
    BUT
    Second choice: I doubt that is going to happen, so if they made a nice big all touch androiblackberry, with a real hub (not an app but the HUB to the left of home), with BB's 'pop pop' keyboard, and full google (for apps, OK google, playstore etc) then I would jump on that right away. 99% of my customers (banks, laywers, accountants, etc.) all use iphone or android anyway, so that level is good enough for me.
    06-09-15 01:00 PM
    Never.

Why Blackberry? Because I can!
    06-09-15 02:41 PM
    What I wonder, is if so many are right, and BB is going to stop making handsets, we'll have to go IOS, Windows, or Android. Wouldn't it be better to at least have a BB-Android?
    06-09-15 02:47 PM
    NOO. I left Android for Blackberry for too many reasons. The experience isn't the same. BlackBerry is way better for my usages.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 03:24 PM
    What I wonder, is if so many are right, and BB is going to stop making handsets, we'll have to go IOS, Windows, or Android. Wouldn't it be better to at least have a BB-Android?
    No I would rather give Apple and Microsoft my money if BlackBerry went Android. I just think Android sucks and I don't like how the OS navigate or it's ugly interface. This is not a political statement but from my experience I think Android is frustrating to deal with and the user experience is horrific.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 03:31 PM
    One thing I can't get is: how the hub on android would work?
    Actually, with Blackberry planning to offer the hub to other platforms, I don't understand how will work the interactions between hub and apps. Will developers have to add a specific feature to their apps for them to be able to interact with the hub? How many dev will perform the job and, finally, what would be the real added value of the hub if it only works with your email account(s) and BBM?
    06-09-15 04:17 PM
    I have no idea to what level Android can be locked down. But it seems to be enough to qualify Android Devices for use in the US DoD. DISA | DoD Mobility Classified Capability - Secret
    Yeah, it may be locked down, but I'm not ready to be paying these rates for the security...

FY15 rates per device:
    $161.13/month (USA)
    $241.13/month (International)

Maybe that includes voice/data services too, but it's still a lot. Also, they don't mention Google Play or using Android apps.

The BlackPhone is running a version on Android and I believe that Boeing's "Black" is also running on Android.....
    They may be running Android, but are they completely open to Google Play and general Android apps? Or are they a forked version of Android? Also, maybe they start out completely secure, but once the user starts installing Android apps, there is no guarantee of security anymore, as in, are their Android apps running separately like with BB10?

So the problem I see, it there seems to be a lot of competition in this niche security market... I think BlackBerry's problem is they are trying to do a device for "everyone" and losing money. Where these other companies are focused on HIGH END (expensive) devices for Military and "secrete" work... and they are charging for it.
    Why would anyone here want BlackBerry to go Android with what you're describing? The locking down process is either going to be incompatible, too easy for the user to unsecure, or expensive.

From what I have read, the DoD doesn't want to get tied down to one manufacture - the 2011 outage opened a lot of people's eyes to the dangers of how BlackBerry's rely on their own NOC.
    Wouldn't Enterprise and Government be running on their own BES servers and so would be unaffected by the NOC servers BlackBerry is running?

Edit: Read up on BES dependency on NOC, so yes, NOC downtime affects BES.
    Last edited by cbvinh; 06-09-15 at 04:46 PM.
    06-09-15 04:22 PM
    Only a PKB device.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 04:22 PM

The three systems you mentioned are straight up compatible Android devices, although they do vary amongst themselves. The DoD phone and Black at particularly expensive and only available on limited models (two in the case of DoD). Any future inclusion of new Android features will be expensive and take a long time. The DoD phone is only open to people with SIPR accounts. The details go on and are important. Saying "look here is a phone based on Android that is approved for secret data so my latest LG can't be too bad" is as naive as saying "nuclear power plants run on QNX so imagine how secure my BlackBerry is". The devil is as always in the details, if you aren't prepared to delve into the details you leave yourself open to jumping to a very wrong conclusion.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.798 SR 10.3.2.516
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-09-15 04:37 PM
    Would you support Rolls-Royce if it ran pimped VW 1,2 turbo engine under its glorious hood? N E V E R + on closer inspection, one'd realise entire body is made of plastic, the wood is also plastic and the leather is just nylon painted and textured to look like leather. Plus, when you try and grab the umbrella from the doors, all chitchats from the backseat go public

Posted via my mighty squircle Passport
    SDTRMG likes this.
    06-09-15 04:46 PM
515 ... 34567 ...