How about a Secured android?
    06-06-15 03:53 PM
    I would support it with my left hand as I used my right hand to open the garbage can, then I would twist my left hand letting the abomination fall in to never be seen again

What a horrible thought, now I'll have nightmares of Google Now popping open on my beloved BlackBerry.
    06-06-15 04:05 PM
    I think even if they make android devices! They will sell both BlackBerry phones as well as android devices.

So people will definitely have choices ! People who wishes to have apps can move to secured android by blackberry, which would certainly be a good idea! And I think it could be a skinned version with blackberry hub and other possible cross platform applications.
    06-06-15 04:10 PM
    I think even if they make android devices! They will sell both BlackBerry phones as well as android devices.

So people will definitely have choices ! People who wishes to have apps can move to secured android by blackberry, which would certainly be a good idea! And I think it could be a skinned version with blackberry hub and other possible cross platform applications.
    People throw around the term "secure Android" like it is something you can do after it is finished. Like writing Happy Birthday on a cake. Security to be effective they way it is in BBOS and BB10 has to be built in from the start. There are some things they can do, and they are doing that with Samsung and Knox. But that still doesn't give you a resilient an OS as BB10.
    deltact and lift like this.
    06-06-15 04:36 PM
    If I want Google Playstore... I buy an Android.. But I don't want it..thats why I bought a BlackBerry.

I even don't want any runtime.... keep BlackBerry as it should be...

Posted via my awesome Classic
    lift and playfoot like this.
    06-06-15 04:39 PM
    Guys! Let's face it! blackberry is not as big as google or apple! Blackberry is not making profits in Hardware! BlackBerry either needs to move to an android or get more customer base to survive!

Apple and Google are going way ahead in technology! Mobile payments, connected car, home automation! That's the future, and quite frankly blackberry as a whole can't cope up with it! In the near future, consumers will definitely be dependent of these technologies.

As a software company, there is no doubt that blackberry can survive! But being in hardware/mobile business, it looks too difficult! And following years are going to be more difficult. I feel android strategy is a good start to enter the market again.

Android has a big user base, even if blackberry gets 1% of it, it would be an amazing start. An android with a blackberry keyboard or a slider ? Definitely a lot of users from other platforms will eye on!
    06-06-15 05:36 PM
    NO - I will keep my BBOS 10 device and move on with a windows 10 device
    06-06-15 06:35 PM
    Guys! Let's face it! blackberry is not as big as google or apple! Blackberry is not making profits in Hardware! BlackBerry either needs to move to an android or get more customer base to survive!

Apple and Google are going way ahead in technology! Mobile payments, connected car, home automation! That's the future, and quite frankly blackberry as a whole can't cope up with it! In the near future, consumers will definitely be dependent of these technologies.

As a software company, there is no doubt that blackberry can survive! But being in hardware/mobile business, it looks too difficult! And following years are going to be more difficult. I feel android strategy is a good start to enter the market again.

Android has a big user base, even if blackberry gets 1% of it, it would be an amazing start. An android with a blackberry keyboard or a slider ? Definitely a lot of users from other platforms will eye on!
    If any of this was believed by any of the other companies making Android phones wouldn't there be slider and keyboard phones selling well in the market today? The first Android phone I had was an HTC slider. It was for the time a pretty good phone with a keyboard every bit as good as the one used on the torch. It did not do well. I got into that phone, and Android development because I bought the whole Android is secure argument. That didn't last either.

The thing is that even though the market leaders have been rooted or jail broken more times than I can count, BlackBerry pays for the few issues they have had over and over again. This is only fair because they position themselves as security and privacy experts. So what happens to BlackBerry when a BlackBerry branded Android phone is rooted? Do you really think people will yawn and say "what do you expect, it's Android" or will they pile on?

No I think that their position as providing a "safe" way to run Android apps, and collaborating with Android vendors to make their products better is as close as they should get to Android. If they can't build a self sustaining handset business like that, they shouldn't be in the handset business.
    06-06-15 06:45 PM
    People throw around the term "secure Android" like it is something you can do after it is finished. Like writing Happy Birthday on a cake. Security to be effective they way it is in BBOS and BB10 has to be built in from the start. There are some things they can do, and they are doing that with Samsung and Knox. But that still doesn't give you a resilient an OS as BB10.
    That's true! End to end security and providing security on other OS is definitely different !

But how much security is good enough ? Does consumer need encrypted calling or a high level enterprise grade security that blackberry is good at ? Probably not ! Many of you would prefer having more better apps and a complete user experience over security! So many iPhone and android users they don't tend to get so much sensitive to privacy and security! I think for a consumer an iPhone provides good enough security!
    06-06-15 06:53 PM
    06-06-15 06:59 PM
    Except it's not. Completely different projects.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    06-06-15 07:10 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    I'll make sure to revisit this with you around November.
    06-06-15 07:35 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Just imagine! If blackberry 10 keeps failing over a long run! What would happen to it ? Will it completely close down its doors? Probably not! It will survive as a software, if those services are used on a larger scale(I.e iOS and android) .

So the long term goals are aligned ! Mr.Chen says create services for all platforms ! They are doing it!! Over a period of time you may see an android device coming too!
    06-06-15 07:40 PM
    Alas . . . the share of BlackBerry Limited in the world (in terms of the number of smartphones shipped) has shrunk to a marginal existence while the sale of legacy OS devices has come to an end. (In addition to a dozen legacy OS devices, I own every BlackBerry 10 OS device . . . Z10 / Q10 through Leap.)

IDC: Smartphone OS Market Share 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012

Would you support an Android BB?-idc_2015q1.png
    06-06-15 07:42 PM
    That's true! End to end security and providing security on other OS is definitely different !

But how much security is good enough ? Does consumer need encrypted calling or a high level enterprise grade security that blackberry is good at ? Probably not ! Many of you would prefer having more better apps and a complete user experience over security! So many iPhone and android users they don't tend to get so much sensitive to privacy and security! I think for a consumer an iPhone provides good enough security!
    I can only speak for myself. I don't have secure calling, BES or any apps with end to end encryption. What I do have is an OS with a proven track record, from a company with a longer proven track record, of being resistant to remote exploitation by malware or malicious actors.

Security is not a one size fits all proposition. If Android, iOS or WP security is good enough for you that's wonderful. If you want the top of the line security offered by BlackBerry with BES and all the bells and whistles you can get that too. Some people are looking for a hardened OS, you know like what Apple used to claim it had over Windows with OS X, but real.

Other people like BB10 for the UI experience, if they want that but with the app echo system of Android, well that sounds like it is coming with the Hub for Android. If that does well you can probably expect more to follow.

If you want a slightly more secure Android that isn't available, or coming as well, all without a BlackBerry branded Android device.

You can't build an OS and then harden it by bolting things on. Microsoft has been running into this for decades. BlackBerry licensed an OS, then forked it and hardened it for BBOS. They bought QNX and hardened it for BB10. Lots of people have hardened Linux over the years, but they are eventually abandoned because they can't be kept up with standard Linux kernel development. Android has been forked and hardened at least three times to my knowledge: the US DOD project, BlackPhone, and Boeing Black. All of these are still alive but not really taking the consumer market by storm.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.798 SR 10.3.2.516
    06-06-15 08:17 PM
    So if they offered both, would you choose BlackBerry 10 without the Android runtime?

Personally I'd stick with the Passport as my daily driver and relegate Android/iOS to my tablet and never look back. Since picking up the Passport in October I've been very happy using it and could definitely live without any Android compatibility whatsoever.
    Yeah, I would pick the BlackBerry without the Android runtime. Or they can just keep that as it is on our Classics/Passports, etc., but I wouldn't get the Android one.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    06-06-15 08:23 PM
    I would. Since it's looking like we're not going to get an upgraded full touch anytime soon, many of us are probably going to be having an android anyway.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 08:41 PM
    NO ... NO fu__ing WAY
    Google has become TOO POWERFUL, someone should BURST the balloon, crack it inside out like they did it to the Soviet Union with the help of Gorbachev (now doing it to an developing country, India).
    No one organisation should have this much power. It should be distributed throughout different companies and different nations.
    Anyway, if BB OS is fine. They just gotta help develop more and more apps, because the app range is very THIN.
    06-06-15 08:57 PM
    Depends on price and specs, and official carrier support and supported LTE bands. But all things being ideal, yeah I'd give a full Android/BB a shot.
    06-06-15 09:41 PM
    He'll no.

Passport  - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Headshop|Vapeshop|Tattoos
    06-06-15 10:26 PM
    If the BlackBerry experience on Android included the File Manager, WiFi file access, the Hub, Calendar, Contacts and Password Keeper all with the Cascades design language, then that is the phone I will buy. Bring it on.
    06-06-15 11:13 PM
    NO!

Horrible idea, through and through. If you want an android, go get one, or ask Google to make it more like BlackBerry for a change.
    06-06-15 11:29 PM
    Just imagine! If blackberry 10 keeps failing over a long run! What would happen to it ? Will it completely close down its doors? Probably not! It will survive as a software, if those services are used on a larger scale(I.e iOS and android) .

So the long term goals are aligned ! Mr.Chen says create services for all platforms ! They are doing it!! Over a period of time you may see an android device coming too!
    Yea.. and BlackBerry 10, QNX are all part of that software base. Why drop all that for Android. Android is already saturated and expect many companies to drop out of hardware in near future. BlackBerry can make a profit in hardware as they've already proved before

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Laura Knotek and Bluenoser63 like this.
    06-07-15 01:16 AM
    I'm here beacuse of BB10, not the company
    lift likes this.
    06-07-15 04:07 AM
    If BlackBerry made an android phone that operated EXACTLY like BB10 with gestures, hub, UI appearance, quick settings I would. Because then, we'd have the app situation fixed. If they mirror BB10 exactly, then we wouldn't even be able to tell. Wish that were the case.
    This.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 07:30 AM
515 ... 23456 ...