not going to happen
    06-05-15 02:14 PM
    The development cost of rewriting and forking Android would be more than continuing development of BB10. Google would never allow a fork of Android that would could use Google Services.
    Didn't say anything about a "forked" Android... or BlackBerry doing any development for a new OS. I'm talking about stock Android running the BlackBerry Experience APP that Chen said is coming.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-05-15 02:46 PM
    Yes... kinda.

I wish they'd just license their physical keyboard and color LED patents to a major player who will build the perfect Android Berry. I don't think Blackberry should be doing the hardware part of it.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-05-15 02:55 PM
    It kind defeats the whole purpose of buying one. You purchase a BlackBerry for the BlackBerry OS and device. Just like you purchase an Android device for their OS.

Once you start mixing things, they loose their "special-ness" "uniqueness".

So my answer would be no.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    chgaida likes this.
    06-05-15 03:11 PM
    If BlackBerry made an android phone that operated EXACTLY like BB10 with gestures, hub, UI appearance, quick settings I would. Because then, we'd have the app situation fixed. If they mirror BB10 exactly, then we wouldn't even be able to tell. Wish that were the case.
    06-05-15 03:49 PM
    If BlackBerry did that then wouldn't we lose the security right off the bat? I would think the security conscious (Blackberry's major advantage) would not want to have everything go through Google, but without all of their services I'm not sure what use Android really is.

I would prefer they improve the run-time (or do something like Microsoft is doing with cross-platform dev). Even bringing the hub over is IMO a mistake.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 03:57 PM
    Would you support an Android BB?-no-.jpg

Posted via my awesome Classic
    06-05-15 04:04 PM
    Would not support a BlackBerry device running only Android,

Or windows

Or ios
    06-05-15 04:21 PM
    It wouldn't be a blackberry like others have said. It would also be quite a defeatist stance from blackberry, BB10 is their baby and we've watched it grow lol.

I don't think that hooking up to Google would increase their sales as people don't like blackberries as they see them as still being in the BBOS days, that and they don't have the marketing hype like their competitors.

I hope they continue to fine tune the android runtime.

Q10 - 10.3.2.798/SR .516  < σиє ℓσνє > 
    06-05-15 04:30 PM
    i would use one plain and simple blackberry isnt concentrating on the consumer side soo i think that would be a very really nice alternative
    06-05-15 04:30 PM
    Why not bake in iTunes, Bing and Skype while you're at it. Just cut and paste all the good code from all of the phone OSes and make an iAndWinBerry.
    jabia likes this.
    06-05-15 04:34 PM
    I bought a BlackBerry to NOT use android. So no

Posted via CB10
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    06-05-15 04:54 PM
    Nope. I've decided to go to Windows if need be or try something different. I've done my best to support BlackBerry in whatever they do, but I don't care for another Android device. If I wanted one so badly I would have had one by now.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL and jabia like this.
    06-05-15 07:10 PM
    If BlackBerry made an android phone that operated EXACTLY like BB10 with gestures, hub, UI appearance, quick settings I would. Because then, we'd have the app situation fixed. If they mirror BB10 exactly, then we wouldn't even be able to tell. Wish that were the case.
    Wouldn't they need to fork Android to do that? Then what's the point? The app situation would be the same. No Google. Updating the Runtime and using faster/better hardware would give you the same app experience on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 07:13 PM
    What would be the point? BB is already having problems moving hardware, throwing out another Android device in that crowded sea would certainly scuttle that vessel. Blackphone and a couple others are struggling to establish a secure android, and CyanogenMOD is not exactly a household name yet. An all Android BB sounds more like Homer Simpson's dream car as far as I'm concerned.
    06-05-15 07:48 PM
    So you don't think there is any chance that Samsung would release a BlackBerry/KNOX branded device running Android with the BlackBerry Experience preinstalled?

Sadly I don't see much of a future for BB10... it's development and support cost just don't justify its existences with sales where they are today. If they aren't going to have their own ecosystem, and Android can be secured... what is the point?

I assume Android can be secured - well enough, as it's the only OS that is currently being talked about by the DISA or DARPA.
    I think in the consumer sphere (at least) it can certainly be secured enough for the majority of people. Google's policies are not to my personal liking but it's not like they're hiding it from anyone. I'd definitely consider an Android powered BB device. Security in the end is largely up to the end user: if you're aware and informed, you can have a safe and secure experience on any platform.
    The_Passporter and Mecca EL like this.
    06-05-15 08:15 PM
    Let's say BlackBerry produced an Android phone with a BlackBerry skin/theme. If it's just a skin/theme, then there's nothing unique about it and would only confuse users who need to know both BlackBerry and Android usage conventions. If it's more than just a skin/theme, then BlackBerry runs into the same issue as Android device makers, people will be critical that it's not a pure Android experience. If it's an extensive modification/fork of Android, then they run the risk of being constantly behind and/or incompatible with apps here and there.

Would I support an Android BB? I guess it'll depend on specs and cost for those specs... exactly the same as I would evaluate any Android device.
    06-05-15 08:24 PM
    Let's say BlackBerry produced an Android phone with a BlackBerry skin/theme. If it's just a skin/theme, then there's nothing unique about it and would only confuse users who need to know both BlackBerry and Android usage conventions. If it's more than just a skin/theme, then BlackBerry runs into the same issue as Android device makers, people will be critical that it's not a pure Android experience. If it's an extensive modification/fork of Android, then they run the risk of being constantly behind and/or incompatible with apps here and there.

Would I support an Android BB? I guess it'll depend on specs and cost for those specs... exactly the same as I would evaluate any Android device.
    If it's an Android slider with a touch capacitive keyboard though... Hub, keyboard actions / shortcuts, swipe up predictions on letters for vkb. I don't think they could implement active frames as much as I prefer them. I think it'd stand out as a unique Android alternative. HTC, Sony, LG, Moto, etc are fighting Samsung basically on specs and to a lesser degree, form factor.

I don't think an Android BB device would take over the market by any means, but I could see a profitable niche for BB. I also think they should continue with BB10 without the android runtime in parallel to an Android device. Just like Samsung offers phones on multiple platforms. There's a tiny market for super secure phones but nobody fills that niche better than BlackBerry from what I've read.
    cbvinh and Mecca EL like this.
    06-05-15 08:43 PM
    No. If I can't get a BlackBerry phone im going to WP10 or iOS.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2708 SR 10.3.1.1865
    The_Passporter and miker476 like this.
    06-05-15 09:40 PM
    I'd go back to a feature phone before I went android.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 10:31 PM
    No, I would not

Posted Via CB10 via Z10 via BB10
    06-05-15 10:34 PM
    If it's an Android slider with a touch capacitive keyboard though... Hub, keyboard actions / shortcuts, swipe up predictions on letters for vkb. I don't think they could implement active frames as much as I prefer them. I think it'd stand out as a unique Android alternative. HTC, Sony, LG, Moto, etc are fighting Samsung basically on specs and to a lesser degree, form factor.

I don't think an Android BB device would take over the market by any means, but I could see a profitable niche for BB. I also think they should continue with BB10 without the android runtime in parallel to an Android device. Just like Samsung offers phones on multiple platforms. There's a tiny market for super secure phones but nobody fills that niche better than BlackBerry from what I've read.
    I admit, a slider Android as you described would be compelling to me. If BlackBerry were to develop one of these in parallel with a BB10 slider, it might be a viable way to transition to Android with BlackBerry features. Of course, once one of these BlackBerry Android devices get announced, it will pretty much kill uptake of BB10 devices. Would there be enough BlackBerry Android slider sales to make up for people abandoning BB10 completely?
    06-06-15 01:09 AM
    I admit, a slider Android as you described would be compelling to me. If BlackBerry were to develop one of these in parallel with a BB10 slider, it might be a viable way to transition to Android with BlackBerry features. Of course, once one of these BlackBerry Android devices get announced, it will pretty much kill uptake of BB10 devices. Would there be enough BlackBerry Android slider sales to make up for people abandoning BB10 completely?
    I think so. The core market of BB10 is selling to a very niche market that is concerned with security like government agencies.

There's an expression: "you can't serve two masters". By adding the Android runtime to BB10 I think BlackBerry fulfilled that prophecy, beginning with the Playbook. And it was a mistake. I mean, just look at sales now even with the Android runtime. It's obviously not working.

Best bet, imho? DUMP the android runtime in BB10 and repurpose it as a niche OS for security conscious consumers. For everything else make an Android based BlackBerry device like the slider with touch capacitive gestures, actions, hub, etc that is more appealing to consumers (with full access to Google Play).

Samsung has Tizen in addition to Android. Let BB10 be BlackBerry's equivalent of Tizen.

EDIT: Reading some of the threads, some are calling BB10 the ZOMBIE Os. If that means putting it on the back burner while they slowly develop it, so be it. By the same definition, I'd call Tizen a Zombie OS as well.
    06-06-15 01:19 AM
    I want my BlackBerry to remain BlackBerry.

If they want to do some full touch Android crossover, fine. The people that live and breathe apps can go hog wild on that phone, but I hope the Classic variants or whatever it will be called in the future will remain strictly BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Mausje75 likes this.
    06-06-15 01:38 AM
    I want my BlackBerry to remain BlackBerry.

If they want to do some full touch Android crossover, fine. The people that live and breathe apps can go hog wild on that phone, but I hope the Classic variants or whatever it will be called in the future will remain strictly BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    So if they offered both, would you choose BlackBerry 10 without the Android runtime?

Personally I'd stick with the Passport as my daily driver and relegate Android/iOS to my tablet and never look back. Since picking up the Passport in October I've been very happy using it and could definitely live without any Android compatibility whatsoever.
    Mecca EL and lgiordano like this.
    06-06-15 01:45 AM
515 1234 ...