Yes, yes, yes. I've bought multiple Android devices and found that Google fills up older devices with its OS "updates" so you can only download 1-3 apps before internal memory fills up. If you try to move most modern apps to a memory card they will not give you this option. Quite a coincidence you might say!

So unless you buy a more recent device with 16GB of internal storage you are SOL by design. This seems like a fraudulent form of built-in obsolescence to me by Google.

Posted via CB10
    My first Android device I purchased in 2011 had 16 GB of internal storage. Even the mid tier and many low end phones for years have had at least 16 GB.
    05-03-17 04:39 PM
    if google made all the ......there's no sinister design going on here. When lollipop came out, there were some issues with moving apps to the card but that's mostly ironed out now. And I can't remem...
    Yup I remember that earlier Android a while back where they wouldn't OS upgrade/patch , and you couldn't move much at all to the sdcard....then playing with a BB10 where you had none of these bad restrictions by Android ...(.or bad design)...BlackBerry's BB10 was a refreshingly functional well thought out upgrade experience to that Android (I almost forgot about that).
    05-03-17 10:52 PM
    Perhaps it would be fraudulent if google made all the apps and hardware...there's no sinister design going on here. When lollipop came out, there were some issues with moving apps to the card but that's mostly ironed out now. And I can't remember the last time I saw a phone with less than 16gb of storage, like ever.
    That's getting into apple territory where the entry level storage (16gb) option is priced so damn high that most folks will pay the extra $100 for more storage, with no expansion.
    ...don't be such a hater, man! :-p
    Google knows that there are 100 million or whatever Android devices floating around with 8 GB of memory and users who are fine with their phones. Yet they fill up the entire internal storage with their OS and leave 500KB for one or two apps. That's by accident?

Posted via CB10
    05-04-17 01:01 AM
    Google knows that there are 100 million or whatever Android devices floating around with 8 GB of memory and users who are fine with their phones. Yet they fill up the entire internal storage with their OS and leave 500KB for one or two apps. That's by accident?

Posted via CB10
    I don't think we live in the reality you're describing.
    BigBadWulf and DrBoomBotz like this.
    05-04-17 07:44 AM
    I don't think we live in the reality you're describing.
    I bought two older Android phones and the same thing happened to both. They are useless after running updates because there is no room for apps of 100KB or 200KB. I can't move apps to a memory card on this version of Android.

I don't know what reality you live in.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-17 12:23 PM
    Yes I would do something to keep it going as like it too much works for me

Posted via CB10
    05-04-17 02:21 PM
    Yes, yes, yes. I've bought multiple Android devices and found that Google fills up older devices with its OS "updates" so you can only download 1-3 apps before internal memory fills up. If you try to move most modern apps to a memory card they will not give you this option. Quite a coincidence you might say!

So unless you buy a more recent device with 16GB of internal storage you are SOL by design. This seems like a fraudulent form of built-in obsolescence to me by Google.

Posted via CB10
    This is very true with entry level prepaid Android phones. The carriers know 8 GB are obsolete yet they're most common of the prepaid offered. Don't think it's fraud by Google though. More likely due to carrier bloatware.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-17 06:58 PM
    I bought two older Android phones and the same thing happened to both. They are useless after running updates because there is no room for apps of 100KB or 200KB. I can't move apps to a memory card on this version of Android.

I don't know what reality you live in.

Posted via CB10
    Which phones did you purchase, and for how much?
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    05-04-17 08:18 PM
    The Android image on a Nexus phone is TINY - as in, around 1 GB. On my LG G4, Android is about 4-5 GB (on a brand new phone). Why? Because the OEMs add all kinds of extra stuff. That's not Google's fault - it's the OEMs, and the carriers, who also add stuff to the image for phones they sell.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    05-05-17 01:08 AM

Posted via CB10
    Just for a little diversionary humour (maybe) ....who knew the Police predicted this dilemma back in 1979...with Message in a Bottle (code word: for Android Smartphones).....
    100 million castaways....sending out an sOS....
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 05-05-17 at 11:44 PM.
    05-05-17 11:24 PM
    The Android image on a Nexus phone is TINY - as in, around 1 GB. On my LG G4, Android is about 4-5 GB (on a brand new phone). Why? Because the OEMs add all kinds of extra stuff. That's not Google's fault - it's the OEMs, and the carriers, who also add stuff to the image for phones they sell.
    That might be the case. I thought one phone of the two I tried was a Nexus phone. I will check this. I finally bought a more recent Samsung for over $100.

Either way, Google should police its OEMs more like Microsoft started doing with PC manufacturers.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-17 11:29 PM
    No. The main issue is that there are so few BlackBerry users left at my firm that they may eventually stop supporting BB10. Without support, I would be buying a $1000 paperweight as 95% of my phone usage is for work.

Posted via CB10 on my Passport
    05-06-17 04:18 PM
    That might be the case. I thought one phone of the two I tried was a Nexus phone. I will check this. I finally bought a more recent Samsung for over $100.

Either way, Google should police its OEMs more like Microsoft started doing with PC manufacturers.

Posted via CB10
    I have three inexpensive, different brand OEM phones and they all were 8 GB with OEM and Carrier bloatware sucking up all the memory. I just install like 4 apps for business and phone is full. I can't even update Apps. Ridiculous since any person buying phone wants to install more apps than I do. I'm only installing Square and PayPal for my help plus couple of social apps for the business.
    05-06-17 06:31 PM
    I just had the honour of trying out the KEYone at the CB meetup in Calgary thanks to CBK, BBmobile and it was amazing. I hereby take back my earlier statement
    05-06-17 06:35 PM
    I have three inexpensive, different brand OEM phones and they all were 8 GB with OEM and Carrier bloatware sucking up all the memory. I just install like 4 apps for business and phone is full. I can't even update Apps. Ridiculous since any person buying phone wants to install more apps than I do. I'm only installing Square and PayPal for my help plus couple of social apps for the business.
    That's what I'm talking about. I have not figured out what is Google's doing and what is bloatware so I have no basis to disagree other than it seems strange that bloatware could take up gigabytes of space when it hardly does anything. And one phone is a Nexus that should have bare bones Android.

I like my new Samsung but the huge form factor is much more cumbersome than the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-17 11:10 PM
    That's what I'm talking about. I have not figured out what is Google's doing and what is bloatware so I have no basis to disagree other than it seems strange that bloatware could take up gigabytes of space when it hardly does anything. And one phone is a Nexus that should have bare bones Android.

I like my new Samsung but the huge form factor is much more cumbersome than the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    You bought a Nexus One?

Edit - That can't be right. That had less than 8gb internal, and every Nexus after had at least 16gb. I wish I knew what you were talking about.
    05-06-17 11:32 PM
    I'm admittedly not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I don't understand knocking android as a platform because the cheap phone you bought 5 years ago doesn't do exactly what you want it to

Posted via CB10
    05-06-17 11:49 PM
    I'm admittedly not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I don't understand knocking android as a platform because the cheap phone you bought 5 years ago doesn't do exactly what you want it to

Posted via CB10
    This,
    It's the OEMs that should be blamed for pre-loading useless, usually non-removable 3rd party software on your phone.
    But this problem isn't as bad in the EU as it used to be, no idea though if US-carriers have changed for the better.
    05-07-17 01:16 AM
    I'd pay for it. But for that money I want serious support. Not the slow update cycle with almost no features we're on now, but more than that (though not at the level of Android/iOS per se but at least more interesting updates). Oh and the device needs to have a PKB that's at least as good as the Passport's.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    05-07-17 12:10 PM
    Yes I will spend even more cos I love BB10, currently using a Z10 and I love it more than any phone in this world.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-17 05:04 PM
    Let me think about that........uh, nope. Guess I still remember my PlayBook purchase; that big investment sure received super support from BlackBerry! And then I was told my Z10 was a phone that the world would envy (didn't seem to work out that way). Now all I hear is that OS10 is dead and that I'm supposed to be an android convert. Really?? I don't think the world is listening. Look at these posts around Crackberry ; there seems to be more interest in maintaining OS10 than embracing android.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-17 04:07 PM
    If saving the OS was guaranteed, I would. I've spent full price on 4 of them adding up to 2000 bucks. I know many here spent a lot more and it didn't do the trick. Let's just let the ship sail and spend this money on the new phones. That'll definitely guarantee new phones for the foreseeable future.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-17 04:47 PM
    Let me think about that........uh, nope. Guess I still remember my PlayBook purchase; that big investment sure received super support from BlackBerry! And then I was told my Z10 was a phone that the world would envy (didn't seem to work out that way). Now all I hear is that OS10 is dead and that I'm supposed to be an android convert. Really?? I don't think the world is listening. Look at these posts around Crackberry ; there seems to be more interest in maintaining OS10 than embracing android.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure where you're hearing that. I bought every BB10 device made and I'm happy to have moved on to Android. BB10 was a mistake of epic proportions.

Posted via CB10
    Witmen likes this.
    05-08-17 11:06 PM
    Not sure where you're hearing that. I bought every BB10 device made and I'm happy to have moved on to Android. BB10 was a mistake of epic proportions.

Posted via CB10
    ..Mistake? Nope. ....only in hindsight..and only in how it and the market was played out.
    05-09-17 11:29 PM
    ..Mistake? Nope. ....only in hindsight..and only in how it and the market was played out.
    But other than that

Hate to play Captain Obvious, but this is hindsight.
    05-10-17 03:30 AM
354 ... 910111213 ...