Win 10 mobile gets a big update this year. The UI is being improved, and the capacity to run win32 software is being added. The operating system will also run unmodified on any ARM chip with drivers for the hardware.

The focus will mainly be on cheap laptops with the EMU, but Redmond 3 should deliver what you want, and I'd say next year big OEMs like Samsung etc will be making ARM windows mobiles.

Which will give you what you want - the full desktop power user applications on your PC, on your phone. Whether they will run/scale well on a small screen IDK, guess it depends on the app.

You could always just get a windows tablet, or hybrid.
    Yes.. i am waiting to see if we will get a surface phone. BB10 has been wonderful but the Blandroid thing for me is a reason to completely abandon Blackberry and its future products.
    04-03-17 11:37 AM
    It probably won't be a "surface phone" per se, as its doubtful Microsoft will make one, at least this year. Maybe next year. I think if they do it, they will want to really wow.

And because the windows store is growing so fast due to the iOS, Android porting suites and desktop windows 10, they may want to give that a year to cook.

But the EMU, and the Redmond update really open things up both for the user, and for manufacturers. I expect we will see lots of other windows phones before the surface itself.

I'm kind of hoping BB does one. I doubt they will though. But a windows phone with a BB keyboard would be all kinds of dope.
    johnsliderbb likes this.
    04-03-17 11:41 AM
    Yeah been hearing "and end to the app craze" for over 2 years now. Funny that you only hear it from Blackberry and Windows Phone users. Sure, it definitely will happen someday, but Blackberry isn't struggling to sell phones someday.

And yet again, you feel like your individual use case defines everyone's mobile needs. Hate to break it to you, but there are billions, literally billions, of people out there who expect more than an outdated web browser and a few office programs from their cell phone.

My PC runs circles around my phone. When I need the power of a PC away from home, I have my laptop, which coincidentally has an up-to-date web browser and a full Office suite. I don't need a cell phone as a PC replacement. I need a cell phone to communicate and do casual stuff when I'm off the clock. But if I did need it for work, I want the flexibility to download and install productivity software on the fly, not search Crackberry for the latest hack job.
    Yes, there are BILLIONS of us. You think that the majority's needs are really being met or you think many are just following the trend? the fact that so many even here on Crackberry are willing to follow just because Blackberry told them to is a good example.
    My point is that an UPDATED browser and software suite to create a PC companion out of your BB device would be a much better solution than an "open source" but closed app ecosystem device that is trying to directly compete at a consumer level only. We don't all want snapchat or even whatsapp, the idea that there are billions of us should be enough to realize we cant all be clumped into 1 group.
    04-03-17 11:44 AM
    the fact that so many even here on Crackberry are willing to follow just because Blackberry told them to is a good example.
    Wow. That's condescending, and provocative.

I chose to move to BlackBerry Android because, presented with two realistic options, I decided against Apple. I stayed with BlackBerry because their particular flavour of Android had more of the features I wanted versus the alternatives.

Obviously you are satisfied still using BB10, and that's great. Just don't insult those who chose to move on.
    04-03-17 11:56 AM
    Wow. That's condescending, and provocative.

I chose to move to BlackBerry Android because, presented with two realistic options, I decided against Apple. I stayed with BlackBerry because their particular flavour of Android had more of the features I wanted versus the alternatives.

Obviously you are satisfied still using BB10, and that's great. Just don't insult those who chose to move on.
    Sorry, it was a bit provocative. It obviously does not apply to all. Remember that the majority of Crackberry members don't post very often if at all. But head to some of the Dtek threads and see what users say about the transition. Very often people chose to stick with Blackberry out blind loyalty. In reality the Blackberry Android devices put you in a precarious position with a device that depends fully on a company that has proven to be extremely undependable and erratic.
    Drael646464 likes this.
    04-03-17 12:06 PM
    God forbid! Never.
    04-03-17 12:07 PM
    Yes, there are BILLIONS of us. You think that the majority's needs are really being met or you think many are just following the trend? the fact that so many even here on Crackberry are willing to follow just because Blackberry told them to is a good example.
    My point is that an UPDATED browser and software suite to create a PC companion out of your BB device would be a much better solution than an "open source" but closed app ecosystem device that is trying to directly compete at a consumer level only. We don't all want snapchat or even whatsapp, the idea that there are billions of us should be enough to realize we cant all be clumped into 1 group.
    Pish, if the needs of the billions weren't being met, they'd buy something else. Like I'm about to do. There aren't billions of people dying to get off of Android or IOS, just because you don't like those choices. That's a narcissistic statement if I've ever heard one.

Blackberry didn't tell me to do jack. I've decided that I want more from my phone than this dead OS offers. I choose Blackberry Android over other brands because I want a keyboard and I want steady updates.
    04-03-17 12:13 PM
    Sorry, it was a bit provocative. It obviously does not apply to all. Remember that the majority of Crackberry members don't post very often if at all. But head to some of the Dtek threads and see what users say about the transition. Very often people chose to stick with Blackberry out blind loyalty. In reality the Blackberry Android devices put you in a precarious position with a device that depends fully on a company that has proven to be extremely undependable and erratic.
    Except... not really. That's the beauty of Android. If BB completely stops supporting Android, at worst, it means that when users upgrade their phone the next time, they can buy an Android phone from some other company, but all of their apps, data, media, and services will continue to work just as they always have. Hell, if they're syncing to Google's cloud, they merely need to log in to their new device and almost everything can be restored automatically.

That's a HUGE difference compared to when BB had their own unique platform. Your paid BBOS and BB10 apps do you no good on Android or iOS, but your BB Android apps will work on a Samsung or LG or HTC or Sony or Moto or whatever Android phone. That's a game-changer for many, and mitigates much of the risks of staying with BB.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-03-17 12:16 PM
    https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...=8&qpcustomd=1

at end of march, BB still holds 0.41% (exclude droid). better than sammy's own OS. If someone determine to make it work (we all agree the OS is more less superior than others), it should happen with following: (1) make it cloud based (web based AR VR) access with a set of key on handset apps, such as dictionary, voice recognition, map (regional downloadable)... (2) super fast and somewhat reliable connection - monthly subscription based - work with carrier, with handset beef up hardware, 5G? might be? (3) secure access with encryption on monthly subscription bases. need platform that is secure for IoT and transaction based. That will get rid of app shortage (soon or later, app will be gone... ). (4) the most important, revamp the SDK, make it use hardware to speed up process (LUT) - more efficient and save battery...( ideally, would use true north chip, but that is another platform all together... was heard very difficult to program, but it is super low clock speed and battery efficient...). Handset just a locational device, to tell where you located, what you want, and UI - like computer terminal, leave everything else on cloud. As I mentioned before, you need Jon Rubinstein or Mike L with deep pocket and leadership to pull a team of less than 10 (someone will pick up a call and set up skunk work, it might happen).
    04-03-17 12:35 PM
    Yes. Might go to $2000 or the cost of building a new PC.

But there is the issue that Passport still runs the OS really well.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-17 12:38 PM
    Blackberry world is dead. Never really had any life. A phone with just core apps, is basically just a feature phone.

If bb10 didn't have the android runtime, it may as well be a nokia 3310 with a nicer display and keyboard fun all the functionality you'd have.

In fact, the nokia 3310 probably has more apps.
    There is a little thing called communications. Emails, texts, call quality. This is why we all are still using BB10 except for those trolling.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-17 12:45 PM
    **** no. Forgive my French.

Most wanted features in the Mercury: https://www.poll-maker.com/results79...e47C8-32#tab-2
    04-03-17 02:49 PM
    Android is an app platform, like apple, being squared off in separate screens. BB10 is a goddam experience. What blackberry does out of the box, androids can only dream of. Being able to reply to a text and email fluently from one screen, may seem like a small thing but its a big thing when you're used to it and all of a sudden start using android. I bought an s7 to replace my z10 and literally had to go back within a month cuz my brain and thumb literally hurt. So yeah, whatever. Anyway.

Would i give away $1000 to bb if i knew that would secure their future with bb10? Hell yeah. Heck i would even pay that for passport specs in a all-touchscreen body. With the same software.
    04-03-17 03:18 PM
    I would pay that for a Passport 2 with either a Snapdragon 625 or 835, 4GB ram, KeyOne quality cameras, fingerprint sensor in the space bar (with OS update for support), removable battery, USB-C, QI/PMA Inductive Charging, and preferably a carbon-fiber weave back. That said I totally realize that's almost certainly never happening.
    04-03-17 04:08 PM
    I have another idea. I would be willing to pay a monthly subscription for the BlackBerry OS if BlackBerry was willing to build its own ecosystem including cloud storage whereby ALL of my data is owned, controlled, and review able by me only. This could be marketed as the only alternative to Apple, Google, and Microsoft where your data is mined and sold in more and more creative and intrusive ways.

Posted via CB10
    I would pay monthly subscription just to keep the os secure and get minor bug fixes.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-17 04:26 PM
    Yes.. i am waiting to see if we will get a surface phone. BB10 has been wonderful but the Blandroid thing for me is a reason to completely abandon Blackberry and its future products.
    Latest I have been hearing about the possibility of a Surface phone is late 2018 or 2019. If they deliver such a device it will be something very different in form factor of current smartphones. Also the new Windows mobile OS will be something completely new. No existing Windows phones will be upgradeable. This will be nothing new for Windows mobile customers, very few Windows phones every get major OS upgrades.
    04-03-17 05:19 PM
    $1000 from all the fans here will barely pay 2 programmers wages. You need way more then that to keep BB10 alive.
    04-03-17 06:09 PM
    BB10 is dead, over, bloodless, bought the farm, breathless, buried, cadaverous, checked out, cold, cut off, deceased, defunct, departed, done for, erased, expired, extinct, gone, gone to meet maker, gone to reward, inanimate, inert, late, lifeless, liquidated, mortified, no more, not existing, offed, out of one's misery, passed away, perished, pushing up daisies, reposing, resting in peace, spiritless, stiff, unanimated, wasted.

Blackberry made its bed with Android. Time to face reality.

Just buy a DTEK50 or wait for the KeyOne

And if your life depends on the latest and greatest 168 core snapdragon with 512 gb of ram and a 1 gigapixel camera... I don't think BB Mobile can help you....I think you forgot that BlackBerry is and always was made for the enterprise customer and not the generic consumer market.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-17 06:13 PM
    BlackBerry is not a charity. I would buy a new BB10 phone if it met my needs, not to secure the product's future.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    04-03-17 07:25 PM
    Latest I have been hearing about the possibility of a Surface phone is late 2018 or 2019. If they deliver such a device it will be something very different in form factor of current smartphones. Also the new Windows mobile OS will be something completely new. No existing Windows phones will be upgradeable. This will be nothing new for Windows mobile customers, very few Windows phones every get major OS upgrades.
    Hard to know what to believe of rumours.

The Redmond 3 update should be available to some current windows 10 mobile users, which basically gives them the same new stuff as the win32 emu. You'd have to have a recent phone though to get the update.
    04-03-17 09:20 PM
    There is a little thing called communications. Emails, texts, call quality. This is why we all are still using BB10 except for those trolling.

Posted via CB10
    I'm using bb10.

I was responding to a post that said he wanted "an updated OS without the android runtime". I for the life of me, cannot understand such a request. A singular update to BB10, with less support for apps than the nokia 3310, would basically be like having a fancy feature phone.

Keeping in mind, a good portion of apps in BBW, are just android apps with a wrapper. Would you want this? To for some reason, basically give up on all apps for the bb10 devices?
    04-03-17 09:24 PM
    a big NO.

what i feel that golden days of BB is no more exists. i have not used the wide range, though journey from very first 8120 accompanies with 9105, 9780, Z10 and Z3. been a long time for 10.3.3 but still stuck with 10.3.2, no dedicated apps like FB/Linkedin/YT even WA is on its edges for BB.

I have returned back to my fav Nexus 5 as my primary device till android 6 become no longer workable. yes, i will definitely continue with Z3 till it become operational.
    04-04-17 08:03 AM
    https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...=8&qpcustomd=1

at end of march, BB still holds 0.41% (exclude droid). better than sammy's own OS. If someone determine to make it work (we all agree the OS is more less superior than others), it should happen with following: (1) make it cloud based (web based AR VR) access with a set of key on handset apps, such as dictionary, voice recognition, map (regional downloadable)... (2) super fast and somewhat reliable connection - monthly subscription based - work with carrier, with handset beef up hardware, 5G? might be? (3) secure access with encryption on monthly subscription bases. need platform that is secure for IoT and transaction based. That will get rid of app shortage (soon or later, app will be gone... ). (4) the most important, revamp the SDK, make it use hardware to speed up process (LUT) - more efficient and save battery...( ideally, would use true north chip, but that is another platform all together... was heard very difficult to program, but it is super low clock speed and battery efficient...). Handset just a locational device, to tell where you located, what you want, and UI - like computer terminal, leave everything else on cloud. As I mentioned before, you need Jon Rubinstein or Mike L with deep pocket and leadership to pull a team of less than 10 (someone will pick up a call and set up skunk work, it might happen).
    BlackBerry current ownership has deeper pockets than old BlackBerry. Old management took most of there money out when company was a lot more healthy and had a lot more cash.

If BB10 was really worth anything, Microsoft has the money to buy, then build and support. They would just dump what's left of W10M. Even Microsoft is going the Android route now.

Posted via CB10
    kvndoom likes this.
    04-04-17 08:28 AM
    Yes. Might go to $2000 or the cost of building a new PC.

But there is the issue that Passport still runs the OS really well.

Posted via CB10
    All you need is 3,999,999 more and you're there. Problem is not enough would buy @ $499 so how would they @ $999 or $1,999...

Everybody wants the OS with no revenue/income stream to support it.

That's why BIS revenue was so important and they kept supporting BBOS7 hardware after introducing BB10. Since BB10 never offered a viable replacement strategy to BIS revenue, it was doomed to fail before it ever was rolled out. What do you think all the BB10 delays were back in 2011-2012? BIS revenues were still increasing. What ***** would stop BIS revenues without a replacement solution? Why do you think Mike L and Jim B really left and dumped their holdings? They dropped this in TH lap and sold all their holdings knowing BB10 was doomed from the start. This was similar to a pump and dump but wasn't illegal as long as BB10 could be called viable. It was never really meant to succeed...

Posted via CB10
    04-04-17 08:43 AM
    BlackBerry current ownership has deeper pockets than old BlackBerry. Old management took most of there money out when company was a lot more healthy and had a lot more cash.

If BB10 was really worth anything, Microsoft has the money to buy, then build and support. They would just dump what's left of W10M. Even Microsoft is going the Android route now.

Posted via CB10
    Why would they dump windows 10, when its on 25% of desktops, 5% of tablets, ~1% of phones and the windows store is growing like an oak sapling?

Everything they have done in two short years from win10 release, the ios and android porting suites, the uwp platform, is paying off massively in terms of tablet market share, store apps, and platform uptake.

Windows mobile is just a second priority project they are just starting to get to.

Redmond 3 update and windows on arm emu; both the biggest updates that have happened on windows 10 mobile, or heck windows mobile period.

A major UI update, and win32 desktop software capability - those hundreds of thousands of desktop PC applications (including say, chrome with its amazing chrome store extensions which all pretty much work as apps too) - a collaboration they created with qualcomm

Microsoft has its entire app suite on iOS and Android though. It also generously developed its app suite in Samsungs new DeX fork. Its not anti-competitive. Sow the seed.

Microsoft is just focusing on software, instead of trying to play manufacturer. Unlike google, and apple, they play offense, no defense in the mobile and tablet marke, so they don't build walled gardens and closed systems, and they build partnerships instead of try to trap their customers.

Its standard practice for the company at the top to trick, trap, and control their customer base, and standard practice of those wanting to gain market share to increase compatibility and add value to consumers. Companies want to grow, play nice with their userbase. Companies wanting to freeze their market share play nasty (apple and to increasing degree google)

Apple did the same thing back in the day with OSX, before it got greedy and evil megacorp. Google used to be reasonably cool too, before it started getting handsy.

But no, windows mobile hasn't got started yet (as a software fork of windows 10). As a hardware project (nokia), current ceo, and Microsoft officials regard that as a weird mistake of Microsoft trying to be something its not.

Let other manufacturers, like HP, xiaomi, cube, TCL (TCL have some great windows phones) make windows 10 mobiles and be hardware partners. I'm sure plenty of others will join in when Redmond 3 is out.

Samsung has said many times it doesn't want to be tied to android. I think that's almost samsungs mantra.

And TCLs alcatel windows phones - well you can be sure there will be more of those (well received, carrier deal, generally getting stuff done - the current one is almost entirely the same phone as the dtek tcl made for BB).
    Last edited by Drael646464; 04-04-17 at 09:07 AM.
    04-04-17 08:55 AM
354 ... 23456 ...