1. Google app name and "apk"

2. Tap download

3. Go to downloads, tap filename, and tap through the prompts

Maybe that is beyond most people, but damn, that seems terrible.
    Welcome to today's reality. Back in time people used to even understand how technology works (recording, cutting and playing music on cassettes for example, repairing things on their own, etc.). Thanks to Apple all we have to know nowadays - and the only thing we end up knowing - is how to swipe over glass or pay for every little service.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-17 11:54 PM

2. Tap download

Maybe that is beyond most people, but damn, that seems terrible.
    1. You obviously weren't around when BB10 launched.
    2. Security isn't a priority, if you'll download an apk from wherever the Google points you.
    04-03-17 12:01 AM
    Still lurking around BB10 OS sections , though.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not lurking , I'm posting. I see a topic, I post and move on....sometimes just for locks I come back.
    04-03-17 12:07 AM
    2. Tap download
    That's pretty reckless for people who enjoy security and privacy.

The Amazon deal offered a wider selection of vetted, supported apps.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    04-03-17 12:08 AM
    [
    1. You obviously weren't around when BB10 launched.
    2. Security isn't a priority, if you'll download an apk from wherever the Google points you.
    1. No I probably wasn't.

2. I have to keep apps that run headerless on android open for them to work properly in bb10s kooky android runtime. What's the odds an android virus is going to run on a bb10 device?

Apkmirror has vetted official apps direct from the play store. It's just as legit as downloading anywhere else.

There are cases of viruses and fakeware on both the play store, and the apple store. Being from a legit place isn't a guarantee.

If you actually own an android device, and this sort of thing worries you, I'd recommend norton's mobile security software or similar.

For me, I have backups of my device, don't use a pay system, store credit cards (I use debit cards with low cash anyway), don't post anything on the net or messaging that I don't treat as if its public or could be. I never post my address, and I often don't use my real name. I use the internet the same way on any device.

My assumption is the opposite - my data is never secure, my activity is always public.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 04-03-17 at 12:29 AM.
    04-03-17 12:10 AM
    1. No I probably wasn't.

2. I have to keep apps that run headerless on android open for them to work properly in bb10s kooky android runtime. What's the odds an android virus is going to run on a bb10 device? Pretty slim I think. And with the CIA spying on the worlds every move, google and facebook datamining - is my data ever secure? Is there even any point any more? Its not like I have corporate secrets....

Oh and apkmirror has vetted official apps from the play store. It's just as legit as downloading anywhere else.

lastly there are cases of viruses and fakeware on both the play store, and the apple store. Being from a legit place isn't a guarantee
    You're arguing silly edge cases. BlackBerry has to use official channels, and most consumers stick to those.

It's great you have found workarounds to enhance your BB10 experience (as have I and many others), but that is neither here nor there.
    04-03-17 12:20 AM
    No, I wouldn't invest in BB10 phones or Ecosystem nowadays.
    04-03-17 12:23 AM
    If I were filthy rich... yes!

Posted via CB10
    04-03-17 12:24 AM
    You're arguing silly edge cases. BlackBerry has to use official channels, and most consumers stick to those.

It's great you have found workarounds to enhance your BB10 experience (as have I and many others), but that is neither here nor there.
    I believe you think I am arguing something, for everybody, rather than replying to something specific, for myself, in an ongoing conversation. Read back a bit to bigbads reply to my post...

Perhaps I should be using quotations. I'll edit it.
    04-03-17 12:24 AM
    Nope

Posted via CB10
    04-03-17 04:07 AM
    Yes if It's bb11 with Google play store

Posted via passport
    +1

Posted via CB10
    04-03-17 04:15 AM
    I just watched some video on the z3. I wouldn't describe that as unusable at all. I've seen androids a lot more laggy.
    04-03-17 05:04 AM
    With the business talent that's in Armchair CEO we'd make Thorsten Heins look like Henry Ford.
    it can't be )

posted via del virtual
    04-03-17 05:31 AM
    Love BB10, but no.
    04-03-17 05:37 AM
    I would pay $1000 for a new device that is worthy of the price tag and running an updated BB10 OS. They can strip all of the android run time as well as long as the OS gets the updates it needs as well as QNX auto integration.
    04-03-17 06:35 AM
    Blackberry world is dead. Never really had any life. A phone with just core apps, is basically just a feature phone.

If bb10 didn't have the android runtime, it may as well be a nokia 3310 with a nicer display and keyboard fun all the functionality you'd have.

In fact, the nokia 3310 probably has more apps.
    04-03-17 06:58 AM
    @sierranada, i would consider spending that amount of money if the android runtime was updated to Android 7.1 I still love BB10 so much and i still use it on a daily basis but the App selection is the only reason i went ahead and purchase a Blackberry android device. If BB10 can bring more Android Apps to the OS then I'm all system go. But i don't think tat going to happen unfortunately.
    04-03-17 08:07 AM
    Yes but it would need to be 64 bit OS.
    04-03-17 08:32 AM
    The problem is, that regardless of how much you pay, you are still buying BB10 in its current state of today. You aren't buying what you hope it can become.

Even if 1 million people (yeah right!) bought $1000 phones, a) that's revenue for Blackberry and not app developers, and b) BB10's market share is still less than 1%.

With <1% market, no app developers are going to waste their time or resources making software for that platform. Kind of like where we are right now, in fact!

Oh let's not forget that a newly develpped BB10 phone won't even have the outdated runtime you get to use today. No runtime on non-Android phones since there are now Blackberry Android phones. BB10 with no Jellybean Android runtime.. which means you will have to rely only on whatever native apps still exist in BBWorld. HA! And you wonder why no one would license it with a 10 foot pole!

You'll have a better chance with your petitions. Buying into BB10 in 2017 is about as safe a bet as buying a Playbook.

I've decided that once I sell the two laptops that I just bought replacements for, I'm going to put that money towards a Priv. Gonna sell this Passport while it still has value. I'm not going to get "playbooked" a second time.
    04-03-17 09:09 AM
    I've decided that once I sell the two laptops that I just bought replacements for, I'm going to put that money towards a Priv. Gonna sell this Passport while it still has value. I'm not going to get "playbooked" a second time.
    And yet you're staying with BlackBerry, the source of the "playbooking"?

Posted via CB10
    04-03-17 09:17 AM
    And yet you're staying with BlackBerry, the source of the "playbooking"?

Posted via CB10
    Yup! Because 1) a keyboard is a requirement for me, 2) I support Blackberry as a company and their commitment to Android is more than hot air (unlike their BS "commitment" to BB10), 3) the K1 is out of my budget, and 4) Android is an OS with an actual future. Even if the Priv never gets another update of any sort, Marshmallow won't be outdated for years to come. Heck, most of the world is still using Kitkat and Lollipop.
    04-03-17 09:39 AM
    The problem is, that regardless of how much you pay, you are still buying BB10 in its current state of today. You aren't buying what you hope it can become.

Even if 1 million people (yeah right!) bought $1000 phones, a) that's revenue for Blackberry and not app developers, and b) BB10's market share is still less than 1%.

With <1% market, no app developers are going to waste their time or resources making software for that platform. Kind of like where we are right now, in fact!

Oh let's not forget that a newly develpped BB10 phone won't even have the outdated runtime you get to use today. No runtime on non-Android phones since there are now Blackberry Android phones. BB10 with no Jellybean Android runtime.. which means you will have to rely only on whatever native apps still exist in BBWorld. HA! And you wonder why no one would license it with a 10 foot pole!

You'll have a better chance with your petitions. Buying into BB10 in 2017 is about as safe a bet as buying a Playbook.

I would consider my PC (Win7/work and Win10/home) a far more productive tool than any phone could ever be. The programs installed on both systems are not available on android or iOS in any usable form. I have never sat at my PC wishing some Android app was available for it. The browser and a few office core programs really is all I need since most of my work software is web based such as SAP and Infotrak. I don't see the need for Android apps for a professional grade device as long as it has a proper browser and a handful of core apps. If Blackberry could deliver a companion device that can allow full mobile productivity to emulate my PC they would be way head of the pack. i really think that there is an end to the app craze and Blackberry will be to vested in their new strategy to react accordingly.
    04-03-17 11:10 AM
    You should probably know that the priv has cooling problems - it overheats. As for BBs commitment to Android, I wouldn't be so certain. But marshmallow will last for awhile, and if your device doesn't have software support by third parties, it'll still run the majority of stuff.
    04-03-17 11:30 AM
    I would consider my PC (Win7/work and Win10/home) a far more productive tool than any phone could ever be. The programs installed on both systems are not available on android or iOS in any usable form. I have never sat at my PC wishing some Android app was available for it. The browser and a few office core programs really is all I need since most of my work software is web based such as SAP and Infotrak. I don't see the need for Android apps for a professional grade device as long as it has a proper browser and a handful of core apps. If Blackberry could deliver a companion device that can allow full mobile productivity to emulate my PC they would be way head of the pack. i really think that there is an end to the app craze and Blackberry will be to vested in their new strategy to react accordingly.
    Win 10 mobile gets a big update this year. The UI is being improved, and the capacity to run win32 software is being added. The emulation operating system will also run unmodified on any ARM chip with drivers for the hardware. Making it as easy to implement, cheap and low in power consumption as android devices.

The focus will mainly be on cheap laptops with the EMU, but Redmond 3 should deliver what you want, and I'd say next year big OEMs like Samsung etc will be making ARM windows mobiles.

The full desktop power user applications on your PC, on your phone. Whether they will run/scale well on a small screen IDK, guess it depends on the application specifically, and how its layed out.

Obviously currently most win32s don't scale natively. Some do, but many don't. And obviously that will change over the coming years.

You could always just get a windows tablet, or hybrid.
    04-03-17 11:35 AM
    Yeah been hearing "and end to the app craze" for over 2 years now. Funny that you only hear it from Blackberry and Windows Phone users. Sure, it definitely will happen someday, but Blackberry isn't struggling to sell phones someday.

And yet again, you feel like your individual use case defines everyone's mobile needs. Hate to break it to you, but there are billions, literally billions, of people out there who expect more than an outdated web browser and a few office programs from their cell phone.

My PC runs circles around my phone. When I need the power of a PC away from home, I have my laptop, which coincidentally has an up-to-date web browser and a full Office suite. I don't need a cell phone as a PC replacement. I need a cell phone to communicate and do casual stuff when I'm off the clock. But if I did need it for work, I want the flexibility to download and install productivity software on the fly, not search Crackberry for the latest hack job.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-03-17 11:35 AM
354 12345 ...