Nope. I wouldn't pay that when bb10 was working well for me.
    04-02-17 09:18 AM
    The community would be better off spending that $1000 on two K1s and hope that is enough to keep TCL interested in future licenses.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    04-02-17 11:18 AM
    But how BB10 is going to be saved with the $7,000 that this sale would produce?
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    04-02-17 11:39 AM
    But I'm already running on 2012 hardware (with my Z10), and I paid less than 50 bucks as a refurb back in the summer of 2013. The best you're gonna get with BB10 is 2014 hardware (the Snapdragon 801).

You want to pay 1000 bucks for a 801 device today?

All BB10 devices were overpriced to begin with when they were new, and it didn't help then.

Joel
    04-02-17 11:59 AM
    But how BB10 is going to be saved with the $7,000 that this sale would produce?
    You'd need to have 100,000 good friends who would be willing to do the same - at least once a year - in order for BB10 to have even the remotest chance of breaking even.

Of course, new devices would not have an Android runtime, so you'd have to be happy with the native BB10 app ecosystem (keeping in mind that many apps in BB World are actually Android apps that have been "wrapped" but still need the runtime to work). You'd have to hope that developers, who stayed away when BB10 was new and was selling millions of devices per year, would come to BB10 when it was selling 100,000 devices a year.

I've run some rough numbers, and they are absurd. The only reason BB10 happened at all - and continued as long as it did - is because BB was willing to LOSE $9-10 BILLION, net in cash and value to bring it to market. The only reason the Board allowed it to go forward is because Mike was predicting sales of at least 20M devices a year and growing after release. At those volumes, development costs could have been spread widely enough that profit was possible - but BB10 only sold a fraction of that, and sales dropped every quarter since launch.

Folks who spent money on BB10 devices were still essentially gifted several thousands of dollars of BB's cash and value. That's what it took to make those devices, and with far fewer buyers, it would cost much, much more today.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-02-17 02:02 PM
    as a company. the crackberry community could easily form a third party and try to license and develop the Bb10 platform from here on...

posted via del virtual
    With the business talent that's in Armchair CEO we'd make Thorsten Heins look like Henry Ford.
    danifulger likes this.
    04-02-17 02:19 PM
    With the business talent that's in Armchair CEO we'd make Thorsten Heins look like Henry Ford.
    My contribution: hypervisor, QNX, dark HUB, Lithuanian, advertise with commercials on every channel 5 times per hour, make top 100 apps magically appear, do everything perfect all the time without delays, design devices that meets everyone's criteria and expectations simultaneously, be the first to innovate anything, destroy Google, spend no money, make big profits, satisfy all stakeholders.

You may take it from there....
    04-02-17 02:37 PM
    My contribution: hypervisor, QNX, dark HUB, Lithuanian, advertise with commercials on every channel 5 times per hour, make top 100 apps magically appear, do everything perfect all the time without delays, design devices that meets everyone's criteria and expectations simultaneously, be the first to innovate anything, destroy Google, spend no money, make big profits, satisfy all stakeholders.

You may take it from there....
    And all for free in India.
    stlabrat likes this.
    04-02-17 02:56 PM
    Its interesting to me, what a booming market there is in refurbished devices, and how a lot of people in the modern age are getting into BB as a budget device. I know I did. I don't want to spend half the price of a second hand car on something that needs to make calls well, do emails well, take pictures, play music and run a few apps. Its wasteful.

It occurs to me, seeing this rather large trade in refurbished devices, and the way many actually get into blackberry as a budget device (especially given budget android phones are sooo boring), that if blackberry had pitched their devices, like nokia now are, as consumer budget-midrange devices, rather than premium devices, they might have had some success. Heck bb10 could still be alive.
    04-02-17 09:44 PM
    Its interesting to me, what a booming market there is in refurbished devices, and how a lot of people in the modern age are getting into BB as a budget device. I know I did. I don't want to spend half the price of a second hand car on something that needs to make calls well, do emails well, take pictures, play music and run a few apps. Its wasteful.

It occurs to me, seeing this rather large trade in refurbished devices, and the way many actually get into blackberry as a budget device (especially given budget android phones are sooo boring), that if blackberry had pitched their devices, like nokia now are, as consumer budget-midrange devices, rather than premium devices, they might have had some success. Heck bb10 could still be alive.
    They couldn't make them cheap enough. The Q5 and Z3 were as stripped down as BB10 would barely allow. Volumes just wouldn't allow any economies of scale.
    04-02-17 09:54 PM
    Bb10 is less demanding, not more compared to android.

The q5 had a pixel resolution of 328 PPI, IPS screen, 2gb of ram, 5mp camera, Bluetooth 4.0 and full LTE. LTE wasn't remotely standard in 2013. Nor was 2gb of ram.

In 2013, those weren't budget specs.

In fact even today, that compares well to still in market alternatives.

The Moto G, a budget phone with an amazon deal in 2017 (made 2014-215)

That's a phone released a year to two years later as a budget phone, that is still selling. Its got the same 1.2 ghz processing power, sometimes less RAM, 2g/3g network, same storage space, slightly more battery, _lower_ pixel density (despite a bigger screen)...

I mean I get your point, its easier to sell low margin if you have volume, and easier to lower costs with higher volume. But, nokia has been dead for years and they are straight into budget. Perhaps they have more cashflow, but even then, BB could have sold their first TCL phone at a conscious loss/no profit to generate buzz and branding.

The above phone q5, was not "as stripped down as bb10 could allow" in 2013. In fact it really still passes as saleable budget phone in 2017. I mean look at it next to the moto G, amazon is offering - yes, the battery is smaller, and the camera not as good, but the sound quality is excellent, it has a keyboard, and it has modern network protocols (faster internet). The "engine" specs are the same, and the screen is actually better on the tiny q5s screen. Plus it actually looks cool. You can get it in red, and white. People might actually comment on your Q5, but no one is ever going to be impressed by your moto g.

Hence the refurbished market for cheap BB phones. Given the choice between some bland budget android model, and a brightly coloured, different keyboard phone, the BB comes out looking good.

As opposed to the premium market, where you are essentially dealing with brand royalty for about two more years where the premium market collapses in on itself. Competing with the specs, brand awareness, and high quality marketing of those phones is going to make your phone look lame. Competing at the budget or midrange end it going to make your phone look cool.

This is why moderately attractive women often have plain friends. Its easier to succeed when the people you are comparing yourself to, makes you come off favourably.
    04-02-17 10:24 PM
    Bb10 is less demanding, not more compared to android.
    The Z3 proved that BB10 was essentially unusable on 1.5GB of ram.

The 2GB ram, and 8GB storage was bare bones for BB10. I have one. I know.

It has storage for only a select few apps, and can't even handle an OTA update.

They took a Q10, stripped out NFC and HDMI out, down-clocked the SoC, downgraded the camera and screen. All in a cheap plastic housing.

There was nothing left to remove.

I also know that there are a large number of 1GB Android devices that run quite swimmingly.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-02-17 10:47 PM
    That's true, the z3 is stripped down. No 4g, low pixel density (terrible actually for 2014)

But, what's the appeal in that as a budget phone?

A) Its a touch slab identical to all the other budget phones
    B) its running bb10, which makes it run less apps.

There's nothing to favourably compare the z3 to any budget model.

Mind you the 8 GBs you claim is "only enough for a few apps", is the same 8GB's I'm currently using in a q5 to have 29 installed blackberry and android apps not including the cobalt suite and the native apps. And I have 500MB left, and one of them is a game. Figured I might add a game or two more :P

The beauty of bb10 android runtime is it uses a single unpartitioned space. So you actually get a lot more out of 8gb than you would on android.

Still even if in 2014, 2GB was the lowest blackberry could go with BB10, that doesn't mean they couldn't produce a budget blackdroid phone in 2017.

The q5 looks positively cool next to the moto g. The keyONE looks pretty boring next to the s8. Consumer wise - boring black colours, lower specs. Yeah it has a keyboard, but its a bit like, image wise, idk, a suit and tie. A thing people buy for pure functionality.

Most enterprise won't buy it because of a lack of software officially supporting it, a lack of carriers, and an obscure manufacturer/software producer that nobody knows will last the distance.

So its "classic" "stylish" image just does nothing much for it, especially because blackberry isn't particularly cool as a brand.
    grover5 likes this.
    04-02-17 11:07 PM
    I've moved on, I'm team BlackDroid
    You quit team Bla1ze?
    04-02-17 11:22 PM
    I guess it depends. Does this mean that they'll actively develop BB10 and that there's a future there or strictly that they'd release another device?

For just another device,no. For an expanded and developed system with an ecosystem, sure.
    04-02-17 11:25 PM
    What do you mean exactly when you say that some wraps in BB World are actually Android Ports? Are those APKs transfered into BB Apps? Or what do you mean with “wrapped“?

I mean I can see that some (SoundCloud, Maps.Me,...) are obviously Androids. But how is it possible to find and download them via BB World? Isn't that a place for only BB Apps?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    04-02-17 11:26 PM
    You quit team Bla1ze?
    I can be team BlackDroid and Team Bla1ze, No?

Don't make me choose!
    04-02-17 11:28 PM
    What do you mean exactly when you say that some wraps in BB World are actually Android Ports? Are those APKs transfered into BB Apps? Or what do you mean with “wrapped“?

I mean I can see that some (SoundCloud, Maps.Me,...) are obviously Androids. But how is it possible to find and download them via BB World? Isn't that a place for only BB Apps?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Welcome to reality kiddo. G-d knows how many apps are ports.

I can be team BlackDroid and Team Bla1ze, No?

Don't make me choose!
    You pick a team and stick to it mister! *slams fist*
    Carjackd likes this.
    04-02-17 11:36 PM

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Many apps in BlackBerry World have always been Android apk files wrapped in a bar file. They run with the Android Runtime.
    04-02-17 11:37 PM
    Where do I sign up? Lol

 BlackBerry|Passport|Black-Edition|BBM-2C20B7AC
    04-02-17 11:39 PM
    Many apps in BlackBerry World have always been Android apk files wrapped in a bar file. They run with the Android Runtime.
    Thanks - I already know that. But the question is WHY? Shouldn't BB World be a place for native apps only? What's the advantage of having APKs wrapped in bar files? Other than confusing people or the convenience not to search elsewhere for apks?

Posted via CB10
    04-02-17 11:41 PM
    Thanks - I already know that. But the question is WHY? Shouldn't BB World be a place for native apps only? What's the advantage of having APKs wrapped in bar files? Other than confusing people or the convenience not to search elsewhere for apks?

Posted via CB10
    In an attempt to make BB10 a viable OS, and hopes it would lead to big name apps porting over.
    04-02-17 11:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    Because, for the longest time, BlackBerry World was the only way to install apps on a BB10 device. Skype is an Android app for instance.

The deal with Amazon changed things a bit going forward.

Sideloading is not an official method to get apps, and is beyond most people's abilities.
    04-02-17 11:44 PM
    1. Google app name and "apk"

2. Tap download

3. Go to downloads, tap filename, and tap through the prompts

Maybe that is beyond most people, but damn, that seems terrible.
    04-02-17 11:51 PM
    Because, for the longest time, BlackBerry World was the only way to install apps on a BB10 device. Skype is an Android app for instance.

The deal with Amazon changed things a bit going forward.

Sideloading is not an official method to get apps, and is beyond most people's abilities.
    I see, thanks!

I prefer sideloading though

But there was a native skype app for BBOS 6 or 7, as far as I remember, right?

Posted via CB10
    04-02-17 11:52 PM
354 1234 ...