I would pay as long as the price was reasonable. Although by me asking for a reasonable price it would seem that I'm the one not being reasonable.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. In order to achieve the cash flow necessary to prop up the OS from the few people who would actually drop more money into BB10 would require a sizeable investment on the part of all three of them.
    cgk likes this.
    07-21-16 08:35 AM
    I would pay 25$ to 50$ a year MAX. Which is a little over 2$ - 4$ a month. Ofcourse there has to be some kind of incentive. I already pay almost 100$ for 2years of security on my laptop. So a mobile needs to be just as secure or more right? And I would hope it would provide updates to the OS. My Q10 is already in need of an update on some sites, like Facebook native browser, the typing speed is slow.
    And finally I would do it just to support blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-16 04:00 PM
    07-23-16 10:43 AM
    If it was the way to keep my BB, sure I would. Are there enough of us that would? I don't know, but if BB sticks around awhile for the consumer market, I do believe that 'soon' people would realize it's the better way to security, if only they know it is here and have a look.
    07-23-16 10:44 AM
    I think BlackBerry should release an "OS Update" every month for the price of $5 or so. All it will do is increment the version #, but it will feel like a full OS update in that it will take 30 minutes or so to download and unpack and install and the handsets will reboot and everything.

This will solve so many issues:

BlackBerry will have a new source of revenue from their BB10 customers.

Their BB10 customers will be able to point at the active, thriving OS support (a new version every month!)

And instead of endless threads here asking why 10.3.3 is late and when will 10.3.3 be released and wasn't 10.3.3 supposed to be out in July / June / March, there will be new threads every month extolling the virtues of 10.3.78 or whatever, how it sped things up and the browser feels way faster and your phone must be flawed because my phone doesn't have any WiFi issues with 10.3.78.

It'll only take minimal development costs for BlackBerry - one dev puts in a day's work every month to increment the OS version number then push it to BlackBerry World for people to purchase and download.

Everybody wins.
    Uzi, conite, DrBoomBotz and 4 others like this.
    07-23-16 01:57 PM
    I think BlackBerry should release an "OS Update" every month for the price of $5 or so. All it will do is increment the version #, but it will feel like a full OS update in that it will take 30 minutes or so to download and unpack and install and the handsets will reboot and everything.

Their BB10 customers will be able to point at the active, thriving OS support (a new version every month!)

And instead of endless threads here asking why 10.3.3 is late and when will 10.3.3 be released and wasn't 10.3.3 supposed to be out in July / June / March, there will be new threads every month extolling the virtues of 10.3.78 or whatever, how it sped things up and the browser feels way faster and your phone must be flawed because my phone doesn't have any WiFi issues with 10.3.78.

It'll only take minimal development costs for BlackBerry - one dev puts in a day's work every month to increment the OS version number then push it to BlackBerry World for people to purchase and download.

Everybody wins.
    And every month there would be users complaining that their battery/radio/snappiness is worse and others saying their battery/radio/snappiness is much much better. This will keep crackberry jumping as well.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-23-16 02:44 PM

Everybody wins.
    Very interesting. Wonder if problem would be to many people expect updates free. Definitively the revenue stream replacement type idea that company has been looking for since carriers embraced Android over BBOS7 back in the day. Probably not viable since carriers didn't like giving up $5/month to blackberry in the old days.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-23-16 02:47 PM
    I'd Pay
    07-24-16 05:23 PM
    I'd Pay
    How much?
    07-24-16 10:26 PM
    How much?
    About tree fiddy.
    07-24-16 10:45 PM
    In its heyday everyone did pay extra for BIS service.

As is, today, charging to use BlackBerry 10 would be the final straw.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    Last edited by CharlieV; 07-25-16 at 09:19 AM.
    07-24-16 10:46 PM
    I think BlackBerry should release an "OS Update" every month for the price of $5 or so.

Everybody wins.
    I do like this idea. It could fix what breaks as services such as Google, Facebook etc as they continue to advance in functionality. Even if the HUB/file manager/browser were formalised as paid apps on Android I'd want it. $60 to $120 per year to extend the life of my Classic/Passport, yep no problem here. Charge me $20 a year to support the Hub on Android per annum (for non BlackBerry Hardware), now that would be quite an option.

It is a polarising concept to pay or not pay for an OS. For me, BB10 is my main driver independent of the apps. It has been my main post PC device which is the reason for my advocacy of supporting it. Of course, BB10's value to others is varied. And yes, it is dating faster than I wish.

Troy's estimation for the costs of maintaining and supporting it are sobering, unsustainable and frankly a lot more than I expected. Especially when contrasted to the current costs of BLACKBERRY'S other software projects and margins.

After reading the opinions here of those for and against paying for an OS, I have come to appreciate Chen's focus on software. The design and functionality of BB10 is a stand out but that vision got dropped somewhere or left with some former employee. Whoever drove that design out did everyone else. I do hope that vision finds a life beyond the OS if that bloke is still around.

It does follow parts of how EPOC (Psion hardware) and Maemo (Nokia N900) died but at their time SaaS didn't exist the way it does now. When updating my parents Mac I saw how much those core apps (e.g 1password) have changed into subscription pricing models. Software is the hardware now and its forced upgrade cycle is now priced annually. A number of people compare BB10 with Windows phone's failure but never mention how poor the latter's usefulness was despite it's slickness.

As I said in my initial post, if I have to pay $500 to $1000 a year on software, I'd prefer some of that to go to Blackberry developers, since whilst I have only design scorn for iOS (I tolerate it only as a gateway to some excellent apps), bewilderment for Android, I really respect what BB10 designers delivered in function and utility for the user.

 Classic via CB
    Last edited by Pixel Spartan; 07-25-16 at 04:18 AM.
    07-24-16 11:41 PM
    How much?
    . $25 per line. $75 total for me
    07-25-16 08:40 AM
    . $25 per line. $75 total for me
    Per year? OK, but you're only 1/30th the way there. See the problem?
    07-25-16 08:50 AM
    Per year? OK, but you're only 1/30th the way there. See the problem?
    What? Me Worry? Yes, per year. That's the time frame the OP referred to in their question. I'm not concerned about "the problem."
    I just answered the question. It reads like I'm being a Smart Donkey, but I'm not trying to be...
    07-25-16 09:07 AM
    What? Me Worry? Yes, per year. That's the time frame the OP referred to in their question. I'm not concerned about "the problem."
    I just answered the question. It reads like I'm being a Smart Donkey, but I'm not trying to be...
    Which is why BB10 is dead. The $75 amount you offered is a joke amount or so it sounds. Why not $1/year like Whatapp promised in the past after 1st year? I support the move to Android because it's a realistic solution.

07-25-16 09:28 AM
    Which is why BB10 is dead. The $75 amount you offered is a joke amount or so it sounds. Why not $1/year like Whatapp promised in the past after 1st year? I support the move to Android because it's a realistic solution.

Are you okay? I guess my response to the OP' s question appears to have some hidden meaning???
    I merely answered the question and I feel like Donald Trump after an interview. I got no problem with BlackBerry Android. I own BlackBerry stock in my 401k as well as a little investment chunk on the side. I'm a supporter for their success. Me, personally, am willing to pay $75/year to help keep BlackBerry 10 functioning. I probably would pay more if it came right down to it.
    Why the attempted "beat down?" What in my response deserved the type of response you gave me? I must be missing something. I want BlackBerry to be very successful. That's why I'm willing to give extra to help them. Seems like an honorable thing to do to me.
    07-25-16 10:42 AM
    Are you okay? I guess my response to the OP' s question appears to have some hidden meaning???
    I merely answered the question and I feel like Donald Trump after an interview. I got no problem with BlackBerry Android. I own BlackBerry stock in my 401k as well as a little investment chunk on the side. I'm a supporter for their success. Me, personally, am willing to pay $75/year to help keep BlackBerry 10 functioning. I probably would pay more if it came right down to it.
    Why the attempted "beat down?" What in my response deserved the type of response you gave me? I must be missing something. I want BlackBerry to be very successful. That's why I'm willing to give extra to help them. Seems like an honorable thing to do to me.
    As fellow crackberrian and shareholder, I'm just saying its only in company's and shareholders best interest to let BB10 die. There isn't enough money to save it.

07-25-16 01:34 PM
    Paying? Probably no, stock android with BlackBerry keyboard will be good replacement for me after my Z10 dies

Posted via CB10
    07-25-16 04:57 PM
    What about a subscription model that would include a hardware component? If you could trade in your classic or passport every 24 months for a refreshed model with updated components, I think a lot more people would be willing to sign on to it. The new devices wouldn't need to be much more than refurbished older devices. Not only would a service like that create a steady income stream, but the whole thing could be marketed as being part of a "green" or "sustainable" environmental policy.
    07-25-16 05:15 PM
    As fellow crackberrian and shareholder, I'm just saying its only in company's and shareholders best interest to let BB10 die. There isn't enough money to save it.

I bet the shareholder view of bb10 differs widely from the general, BlackBerry rabid, CrackBerry member.

Same might be said for... Chen?

And, condolences for being a shareholder. I resisted the urge. I've found that the stuff that I like generally translates into a low stock price. I'm not sure whether there is a relationship.

07-25-16 05:54 PM
    What about a subscription model that would include a hardware component? If you could trade in your classic or passport every 24 months for a refreshed model with updated components, I think a lot more people would be willing to sign on to it. The new devices wouldn't need to be much more than refurbished older devices. Not only would a service like that create a steady income stream, but the whole thing could be marketed as being part of a "green" or "sustainable" environmental policy.
    Fine, but we're still back to $2000-$3000 per year minimum. How many takers?
    07-25-16 05:57 PM
    This sounds like the Apple Update program (or whatever it is called).

Or maybe AT&T Next.

But those programs work for phones people want, a lot.

tinochiko likes this.
    07-25-16 06:42 PM
    I would pay for it

Posted By Secure BB10.3.2 on Z10
    07-26-16 02:05 AM
    Looks like there has been some movement towards Blackberry apps and charging for them (as an ongoing subscription). Good news!

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-hub...ensing-program

 Classic via CB
    08-04-16 06:36 PM
104 ... 2345