08-05-16 09:30 AM
104 123 ...
tools
    Over the last year, has a subscription model ever been brought up for BB10? I'm not trying to be silly, I've just never picked up on a BES pricing model for a mobile OS ever being mentioned. I appreciate how it easy it is to dismiss the concept, but I'd welcome considered discussion on the topic. Thanks!

I don't know what the infrastructure and costings are to continue development in BB10 and provide support. If 15 million users paid a nominal amount, say $25 per annum, would that be realistic money for Blackberry?

I do understand there will be a majority who don't want to pay anything for an OS and also find the proliferation of subscription software a disease. Paying $600 a year for my Adobe apps, $100 for Office, $100 anti virus, $25 for Task apps, Evernote premium and on it goes. Paying $100 to Blackberry doesn't feel like a bad deal in context. I really appreciate my Blackberry but I can't say I feel the same about all the other software I pay for annually.

 Classic via CB
    07-11-16 03:20 AM
    It's been discussed before on other threads ,no it won't works
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-11-16 03:27 AM
    I would pay for it.

 Passport via CB10
    07-11-16 09:39 AM
    There aren't 15 million users of BB10. Whatever the actual number is, you have to then think about how many of those will actually (for real) pay the fee. That number likely gets smaller and smaller every quarter as there are fewer and fewer true believers left.
    07-11-16 09:56 AM
    If there are 5 million BB10 as primary device users left, and 1% of those would pay, that leaves 50,000 users. Let's say REAL development costs $100 million (which is too low), then that's a $2,000 annual subscription.

Given that 50,000 users would never pay that much, the whole thing falls apart.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-11-16 10:00 AM
    I think it would be cheaper to create/develope a real BB10 launcher for android....yes I hate android too( Ive got a Motorola X Force- its nice but android is not so good imo), but maybe there is a way to copy BB10 into android.

Posted via Q10Bold
    07-11-16 10:08 AM
    No why should I pay for a device then pay for the OS? When every other is free.

Long live BB10
    07-11-16 10:13 AM
    That fee would have to be increased quarterly as more and more people leave BB10.
    07-11-16 12:49 PM
    If there are 5 million BB10 as primary device users left, and 1% of those would pay, that leaves 50,000 users. Let's say REAL development costs $100 million (which is too low), then that's a $2,000 annual subscription.

Given that 50,000 users would never pay that much, the whole thing falls apart.
    Of course this won't work... when you're pulling numbers out of "thin air" it is easy to support your 'position'.
    Would be just as easy to make up #'s that DO work.

In other words... STOP MAKING STUFF UP.
    07-11-16 02:22 PM
    I would pay $100 a month for new development.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-16 03:20 PM
    Don't forget, $100 for the latest version of the OS, $9.99 a month for BBM, $12.99 a month to use a SD card, $49.99 a year for docs to go, and it goes on and on......

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-11-16 03:23 PM
    Of course this won't work... when you're pulling numbers out of "thin air" it is easy to support your 'position'.
    Would be just as easy to make up #'s that DO work.

In other words... STOP MAKING STUFF UP.
    I was on the high side of adopters, and the low side of BB10 development costs. If anything, the subscription rate would be much worse.
    07-11-16 04:49 PM
    I would pay, but alas, not enough. On top of the Verizon charges, not much room over and above. I keep hoping there will be a new contender in a couple of years that becomes another serious 3rd party OS other than iOS and Android.
    07-11-16 04:58 PM
    I would pay, but alas, not enough. On top of the Verizon charges, not much room over and above. I keep hoping there will be a new contender in a couple of years that becomes another serious 3rd party OS other than iOS and Android.
    There's a few on the go, Sailfish, Ubuntu Touch ect; Sailfish is the one I've followed since it was announced, it's improving but needs more publicity .

But it looks like Tizen will be the big 3rd place, it's growing at a decent pace
    Posted via CB10
    07-11-16 05:01 PM
    I was on the high side of adopters, and the low side of BB10 development costs. If anything, the subscription rate would be much worse.
    Wouldn't need to cover everything for it to be feasible I don't think, especially if you're just paying for the OS and pay for devices seperatelt, what would need funding is just continued support putting in features etc. Which I think would be a lot less than 100 mil

Also I agree 50,000 users would not pay 2,000 a year

However I would argue a slightly more possible scenario is for 500,000 to pay 200 a year (or) 17 a month, what would make this even better is if they sold this through carriers so that it was bundled through the sim

Also I think it's good to note that just looking at bb10 users as a measure of who would pay for it is too tight a net, some (albeit a few but enough to matter) who are leaving bb10 are leaving precisely because of the lack of support and the uncertain future, and if they had the opportunity would be interested in contributing to the development.

A decent way to test this would be a crowdunder kind thing that just registers interest

Posted via CB10
    07-11-16 05:21 PM
    Wouldn't need to cover everything for it to be feasible I don't think, especially if you're just paying for the OS and pay for devices seperatelt, what would need funding is just continued support putting in features etc. Which I think would be a lot less than 100 mil

Also I agree 50,000 users would not pay 2,000 a year

However I would argue a slightly more possible scenario is for 500,000 to pay 200 a year (or) 17 a month, what would make this even better is if they sold this through carriers so that it was bundled through the sim

Also I think it's good to note that just looking at bb10 users as a measure of who would pay for it is too tight a net, some (albeit a few but enough to matter) who are leaving bb10 are leaving precisely because of the lack of support and the uncertain future, and if they had the opportunity would be interested in contributing to the development.

A decent way to test this would be a crowdunder kind thing that just registers interest

Posted via CB10
    That's a hard sell in countries like Canada where the rates are already high as it is. The majority aren't going to be paying another 20+ dollars on their phone plan.
    07-11-16 05:33 PM
    If we're going petition participation rate, I think it'd be hard to get 10,000 to pay $50 a year.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    07-11-16 05:40 PM
    I'd pay $50/year, so would my wife. 30 corporate devices at office I could vouch for. Now we just need maybe 249,968 more to sign up

Posted via CB10
    07-11-16 06:03 PM
    Getting everyone's agreement on cost is the easy part. The hard part is meeting everyone's individual caveats: it needs to be on Verizon, they need to keep on making the Passport, I only use a Classic, the hardware prices have to be lower, I'm in Indonesia...
    Troy Tiscareno and JeepBB like this.
    07-11-16 06:44 PM
    BB has laid off 7000 people that were working on BB10. Let's say you only needed 1/3 of them to actually work on the OS. That's 2333 people - skilled people whose total cost to the company* is going to be around $125,000 each, minimum. That's $291M per year.

* Total cost means: Salary + Benefits + Payroll Taxes + Office Space + Equipment + Training, etc. It's the real cost per employee to the company, not just their base salary. Anyone who has run a significant business knows that salary is often only about half of the total cost of an employee to the company.

$100M/year is a gross underestimate.

And if those workers were in Silicon Valley instead of Waterloo, you'd be looking at $200,000 per employee per year.
    07-11-16 07:19 PM
    The pay for OS model died years ago when Apple and Google decided to provide free OS upgrades. For the older guys, remember when you had to pay for each windows update?

Remember when the OS that you get is the one that came with the device and that's it?

If BB start to ask for a subscription to their retail customer for BB10 or android "skin", they will lose pretty much what's left of their customers.... and buyer of their phone.
    skinnymike1 and teknofish like this.
    07-11-16 07:45 PM
    I have been used to paying for BIS, until T-Mo and ATT dropped that charge. So yes, I'd have no issues paying a premium for BB10, but I'm a super-fan. Most would scoff at that, and it would be the final nail in the already closed coffin on BB10.

But what works for me is my 9900 on my business line, and my Passport on my personal line. I don't care what the rest of the world is doing. I'm doing something else, and I am happy as a clam in a BlackBerry shell.
    07-11-16 07:53 PM
    it would never fly. As others have stated, that model is dead as dead can be.
    BBerryPowerUser likes this.
    07-11-16 07:53 PM
    I would pay subscription for something like BES-lite.
    07-11-16 10:15 PM
    "Would you pay an annual fee for BB10?"

Nope! I love BlackBerry 10 and all, but I have enough other fees and finances to worry about!
    07-11-16 10:18 PM
104 123 ...