With all this talk of going private and acquisitions, it's a topic I feel a lot of people are sour on. After it was reported that an angel investor wanted BlackBerry to switch to Android, I got to thinking. What if BlackBerry had forked Android like Amazon did for the Kindle? Or heavily skinned it like Samsung does? Would you have been content with an Android device with the visual styling of BB10? It's an interesting take on things but I'd like to know how everyone else would have felt about such a device.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 08:30 PM
    No for me.

If they went android, I'd probably switch companies...

Edit: only because there are many companies that are tried, tested and true on Android - so safer to use them...

And I don't have a lot of interest in the bbry security side - mostly because I believe the NSA etc can access my data. So its more if a phantom security model in a way...

Posted via CB from my LE
    08-13-13 08:32 PM
    No!!!

Posted via CB10
    k3cub likes this.
    08-13-13 08:46 PM
    You should have made this a poll, so we can laugh at all the people who click 'Yes'.

- PineappleOranges
    08-13-13 08:47 PM
    I'd rather read responses. It's a little blasphemous but I've seen several occasions where someone has said they'd like to see Android on BlackBerry hardware. So lets see how many are actually here.
    08-13-13 09:07 PM
    Android OS as a communication device still feels a bit unpolished so I would not support it on BlackBerry hardware. BB10 feels like someone at least cares about the user experience.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 09:18 PM
    if they did. i would've went to ios.. i've been looking at apple now.. and with the latest ios 7.. it doesn't look too shabby. if you wanna talk about flow.. seems like apple figured out how to connect all their devices(computer, ipad, iphone).. and don't forget car integration.. the sad part is.. apple is probably using qnx technology for the connection to the cars..

it's not who came out with the idea first. cuz blackberry did.. it's who markets it better and provides a better experience..

remember the qnx bently.. what ever happened.. i guess it's come and gone..
    08-13-13 09:20 PM
    if they went android i might have even considered wp im not interested in the tired nothing new systems
    08-13-13 09:25 PM
    What would be the point? I'm not with blackberry for the hardware

I don't drink anymore........ or any less, double scotch please
    08-13-13 09:36 PM
    I'd probably play around with one in Future Shop, but that would be the extent of my dealings with it.
    08-13-13 09:56 PM
    Depends on how BlackBerry customized and how well it worked.

Verizon Z10. Running 10.1.0.4651. Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 10:01 PM
    Definitely not. Keep gooooogle out of my phone. Biggest spy agency in the world.

QNX posted via CB10
    ganjaman420 likes this.
    08-13-13 10:07 PM
    No way!!!!.... grrrrr the thought makes me wanna barf!. I'm uneasy as it is with the runtime on ma phone. Do not know what I would use, prob.......Iphone...( oh god just threw up a lil in ma mouth).

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 10:50 PM
    Nope. I'd go back to iOS.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 11:11 PM
    Yep (although I like a few os10 features)...

Sent From My New IPad using Tapatalk
    08-13-13 11:19 PM
    One word NO!!!

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 11:23 PM
    No. If I want android I'll buy android. I want BlackBerry 10 and that's why I bought it and to be perfectly honest I'm glad I did as I love it.

Posted via CB10
    kc0003 likes this.
    08-13-13 11:27 PM
    No. If I want android I'll buy android. I want BlackBerry 10 and that's why I bought it and to be perfectly honest I'm glad I did as I love it.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed!

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 11:40 PM
    No, No and Seriously!? I love all the choice in the hardware side of the tech industry. But the main stream software offerings are few and far between. There needs to be more competition.

Posted via a ZeDex or PlayaBook
    08-13-13 11:44 PM
    No, I'd rather jailbreak an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 11:46 PM
    Before I got my Z10 I might have said yes but the answer is now a resounding NO!

BB10 UI > Everything else. IOS is a distant and archaic 2nd. Both easy enough to use but BB10 UI is just better.
    08-13-13 11:58 PM
    They don't really have much compelling to add to Android at the moment, so I'm not sure what the buying points would be, without seeing how they would have customized it.

They have BBM, but that's about it. Chat/IM services are largely redundant at this point (ask Samsung - they have ChatON). The most successful Android OEMs have relatively robust services (Samsung) offerings, deeper content ecosystems (Sony, Samsung), or a better cross device/form factor play (Sony, Samsung). Of course, great hardware and software can also get you some place (HTC), but with the way hardware has advanced in the past few years it's hard to market simply on specs.

Considering their services and ecosystem on BB10 currently, no. If they skinned Android to look like BB10, probably not.

But, who knows what kind of magic they could have done on the productivity end (PIM apps, Documents to Go, etc.). It's hard to really speculate.

Based on what value I see in BB10 compared to something like TouchWiz Nature UX. I wouldn't buy it. The only reason I'd consider a BB10 device is to try something different, but I am still a bit burnt out on platform hopping so... yea.
    08-14-13 12:22 AM
    Before I got my Z10 I might have said yes but the answer is now a resounding NO!

BB10 UI > Everything else. IOS is a distant and archaic 2nd. Both easy enough to use but BB10 UI is just better.
    You can Skin Android to make the UI different, even add gestures. The Samsung Stock Browser has Gesture controls if you enable them. Lots of Android apps have gesture based Navigation (popping out the Menu and Chat pane in Facebook for Android, for example). UI is nothing really to discuss because if they wanted they could impose their design language on their Android device, at least for all the software that came with it barring the Google Apps.

If someone wanted, they could make a launcher and apps that looked exactly like their BB10 equivalents on Android. The LauncherPro Dev did exactly that with a Music player, completely ripping off the WP7 Music player :-) SMS, Email, Browser apps can all be customized. Multi-Tasking/App Switching can be customized (See HTC Sense). Core Launcher functionality can be totally customized - both in look-and-feel as well as in functionality. Literally, as long as you have the necessary runtimes, etc. You can get Google Apps/Play Access. Look at the Nook HD[+]. It looks nothing like stock android, and functions differently in many ways. They made it completely their own, but they were still able to get access to Google Apps and Google Play...

That really isn't a discussion worth devoting time to in this thread, or anything worth mentioning.

With the way their users are so dependent on the Android App ecosystem, it almost seems like a waste to devote as much resources into BB10 development as they did. This is exactly why I thought the Android runtime was a blessing and a curse. It allows you to get a lot of what you need that isn't natively available on the platform, on the other hand, it removes a lot of incentive to actual truly target the BB10 platform, which makes it an odd platform choice. Many people here make it seem like BBM is worth more than the OSes on which it currently runs :-P

This talk of "communications device" is laughable. People are still using 2010's catch words. Time to move on. Times have changed. Embrace Google Services (or at least Outlook.com + Skype) on Android and your communications is fine.
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 08-14-13 at 12:33 AM. Reason: To Elaborate...
    08-14-13 12:24 AM
    Depends on how BlackBerry customized and how well it worked.

Verizon Z10. Running 10.1.0.4651. Posted via CB10
    Agreed. If they managed to produce something that felt like a BlackBerry I would give it a try.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 12:25 AM
    If I wanted a Jellybread or Gingerbean I'd have bought a phone with a green robot on the case. I don't. I want a BlackBerry.

Why is this even a discussion?
    08-14-13 01:37 AM
87 123 ...