Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
10-30-13 11:26 AM
36 12
tools
    My word substitution just stopped working last week. The last thing I remember doing was adding some new items to the substitution list and now none of my shortcuts yield anything. Has anyone else experienced this?

EDIT: (solved by Patrick2u) The word substitution issue has a work around. The WS database has a limit to the number of entries. Delete several 1 word entries or delete the long paragraph entries. Turn WS off and on then test by composing an email or text.
    Last edited by Just Me; 09-22-13 at 08:41 AM.
    07-19-13 09:12 AM
    What Device/Model/OS? Did you just update?
    07-19-13 09:28 AM
    Z10 stl 100-3 10.1.0.273
    07-19-13 10:04 AM
    Mine stopped working as well and I really don't remember doing anything special. Oh I should mention mine only stopped working in text messages, it worked everywhere else. This is the second time it happened to me but the last time was after an OS upgrade. Unfortunately this time and it is what i had to do last time the only fix was to wipe my Q10. Really kind of sucks because it is a lot of work and blackberry link doesn't work very well either for backing up and restoring, so the whole process takes about 2 hours and then you are left missing some stuff.....I hope they get there act together soon. I actually really like the new operating system but my company is having a meeting next week to decide if we give up on them or not. We kind of hung on waiting for the new 10 os and now we are kind of hanging on waiting for them to fix a lot of little bugs but some people are saying its time to move on...
    07-22-13 09:56 AM
    Try resetting the Learned Words in the settings....
    07-22-13 10:29 AM
    Thanks for the tip. I'm frightened to reset my learned words, I've got so many learned words.
    07-22-13 11:23 AM
    Do not bother trying to reset the Learned words. It does not fix the problem.
    07-22-13 11:36 AM
    Mine stopped working as well and I really don't remember doing anything special. Oh I should mention mine only stopped working in text messages, it worked everywhere else. This is the second time it happened to me but the last time was after an OS upgrade. Unfortunately this time and it is what i had to do last time the only fix was to wipe my Q10. Really kind of sucks because it is a lot of work and blackberry link doesn't work very well either for backing up and restoring, so the whole process takes about 2 hours and then you are left missing some stuff.....I hope they get there act together soon. I actually really like the new operating system but my company is having a meeting next week to decide if we give up on them or not. We kind of hung on waiting for the new 10 os and now we are kind of hanging on waiting for them to fix a lot of little bugs but some people are saying its time to move on...
    I understand the frustration with the new OS. So far my experience from 10.0 to 10.1 way very positive. Many of my issues were solved. While I continue to experience small bugs and annoyances I am reassured that they are being corrected. I'm close to doing a device wipe but I really don't want to type out all my word substation words again. Link does not backup the WS lists.
    07-22-13 11:56 AM
    I just wish they would give some kind of feedback so could be assured they really are working on things and recognize they have some problems. At least for the faithful on here.... why not post a list of problems and say "look we know there is a problem but we are working on it."
    07-22-13 02:48 PM
    I actually think I have an idea what may be causing the problem but am going to wait a week or so before trying to see if I can break it again.
    07-22-13 02:50 PM
    Jim, Link works perfectly on mine. Restores everything even BBM and texts. Using updated version of Link 1.1.1.32?

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 02:51 PM
    Link backs up all my word subs...

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 02:53 PM
    Unfortunately for me when I hook up my blackberry up to my computer it only recognizes it sometimes. I updated to 1.1.1.32 and right now it won't see it at all....maybe tomorrow it might work....I hate itunes too...I may seem like a blackberry basher but I'm not. I actually had the original blackberry 6 months before we even had service for it in our part of the country. I'm just disappointed and frustrated that seemingly simple things don't even work for me.
    07-22-13 08:44 PM
    Link backs up all my word subs...

Posted via CB10

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try. I need to get this word substitution working again.
    07-23-13 10:41 AM
    Updated to .4181 and word substitution is still not working for me.
    07-29-13 10:12 PM
    When I upgraded from the BB Bold to the Q10, none of my word substitutions got moved over. So I gradually entered them since I have over 500....very useful to enter emails and even text messages when you use certain phrases over and over. When I entered the last batch, all the ones that were previously working when I sent emails or text messages, suddenly stopped working also, as with you. Not sure what is causing the problem. Is there a maximum number of word substitutions that are allowed? This was such a waste of time and ridiculous that it no longer works.
    08-12-13 10:54 PM
    I feel you pain. I think the bug popped up when I duplicated an entry, ie entered a second shortcut with the same name. I can't get help on the BB help forums and so far no help has been available here. I'm reluctant to wipe my device and start over again.
    08-12-13 11:14 PM
    Greetings,

This is a known bug to RIM or Blackberry. However, they have no fix for this. The only thing you can do for now is hope you have a recent backup. If you do you can restore to a previous 'working' backup. However, do NOT take a backup of the device while word substitution isn't working as it will restore with the word substitution not working.

I also have been extremely disappointed and frustrated with this bug. As we have all seen on the news they are gearing up for a selloff of some if not all of Blackberry. So sad as I've been a loyal customer since the dawn. It falls to extremely poor RnD, QA and alienating the remainder of their loyal customers with the BB 10.

Hopefully whomever buys them, they still provide support to the existing BB users.

Cheers,

Steve
    08-15-13 02:10 PM
    Greetings,

This is a known bug to RIM or Blackberry. However, they have no fix for this. The only thing you can do for now is hope you have a recent backup. If you do you can restore to a previous 'working' backup. However, do NOT take a backup of the device while word substitution isn't working as it will restore with the word substitution not working.

I also have been extremely disappointed and frustrated with this bug. As we have all seen on the news they are gearing up for a selloff of some if not all of Blackberry. So sad as I've been a loyal customer since the dawn. It falls to extremely poor RnD, QA and alienating the remainder of their loyal customers with the BB 10.

Hopefully whomever buys them, they still provide support to the existing BB users.

Cheers,

Steve
    Thanks for shedding some light on this bug. Until your reply this is the first I have heard that BB has identified it as a bug. I think your disappointment might be a bit harsh. Bugs will happen especially this early in the OS's development. The lack of communication is where my disappointment is directed.
    08-15-13 09:20 PM
    I still have not been able to fix this issue. Anyone out there having any luck? Has anyone found that installing a leaked OS has corrected the issue? My work emails are taking way to long to compose without my BB shorthand.
    09-20-13 08:33 PM
    Totally new to Crackberry as member. But just surrendered my old Blackberry World Edition on 9-2-13 for the Q10. I mostly love it, but as others have found -- a few disappointments.

I'm choosing to write now on Word Substitution issues. Where I had in excess of 4,200 shortcuts in the old "Auto-texts" it appears there is a substantial reduction and limitation that is easy to reach and exceed on the Q10. While they are not numbered I'm guessing there is a threshold around 300 or so.

Once threshold is reached, a number of previously well working "word substitutes" suddenly begin failing to work, although still listed in the lineup. The unfortunate, required "fix" on this is the same that has twice now solved another related problem for me. On two occasions my battery inexplicably took a nose dive and drained itself in short order. On both occasions I found the the functionality of my word substitutions ceased, even though they were still listed. They just would not function. However, and don't ask me WHY, but in three instances now I've deleted a few of the less used existing word substitutions and presto ALL THE OTHERS then began working as normal before.

What lead me to even try eliminating a few of them, was a suggestion from a Verizon sales associate I acquired the phone through. He had heard something about there being a threshold limitation. Why it would only be a few hundred, and be less than my prior 7 year old Blackberry, I can't imagine. But, that seems to be the reality of it for now. I "hope and pray" the powers that be at RIM (Blackberry) will at least get this addressed with great urgency.

While making suggestions to Blackberry, I'll just add its been a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT that I cannot seem to get a viable way to have GROUP EMAIL addresses go out as intended. But, that's altogether another issue.

As for word substitution, if yours has begun to fail, even though they still are listed, try deleting a handful and retesting in chat, SMS text, or emails. Worked for me 3 times now. Hope it might help some others.
    Just Me likes this.
    09-21-13 08:27 PM
    It's like Christmas came early! Thank you Patrick2u for giving me my phone back!

Let me be the first to say welcome to Crackberry. Thank you for you tip, deleting entries solved my issued. I think the problem lies in the volume of characters in the WS database. I deleted 20-30 small entries and and was unsuccessful getting WS to work again. It was only after I delete 2 long form letters when WS came back to life.

I would cut BlackBerry some slack. This is a new operating system and bugs like this will occur. They can not just port the old way of doing WS to BB10. At launch WS did not support carriage returns and the hard working coders fixed that rather quickly. I have confidence that WS will be back to the BBOS 7 effectiveness as soon as they can. If you want to flame some part of BlackBerry flame their communication and support team. I have been in every forum and BlackBerry support service and received no help on this subject for the past 3 months. That is unacceptable. If it a known bug with such a simple work around they should be all over it. I don't care that Instagram and Netflix are not native on #BB10, I care that I can bash out 100 emails in a day in a fraction of the time that I would on iOS and Android. Patrick2u and I are the Prosumer they claim to be targeting and we need legacy BB features like WS to be working. Withholding support for these types of core issue is crazy. The eve of massive layoffs is probably not the time to flaming anyone so perhaps I will settle down a little and enjoy my fixed Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Just Me; 09-22-13 at 08:35 AM.
    09-22-13 08:06 AM
    Mine stop working also.

Keepin' it Chill Z10
    09-24-13 11:15 AM
    Mine stop working also.

Keepin' it Chill Z10
    Did you get it working again?

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 06:37 PM
    Nope. I tried reboot, turning off then on again, Deleting some words but still not working.
    I also edited words, not working.

Keepin' it Chill Z10
    09-25-13 10:18 AM
36 12