06-17-17 04:19 PM
153 ... 567
tools
    So yes, they would have to write the drivers for whatever iteration of QNX they're using for BB10. Just like Android is Linux with Google userland instead of the normal GNU userland.
    Many here misunderstand how the virtual machine runs much of the code of Android but should be considered distinct from the underlying OS. Google does not require the use of Linux as the underlying kernel, but does specify services that the chosen OS must provide. So, BlackBerry could have taken the more costly route using QNX Neutrino to develop their Google Android implementation instead SE Linux.
    06-16-17 11:51 PM
    Many here misunderstand how the virtual machine runs much of the code of Android but should be considered distinct from the underlying OS. Google does not require the use of Linux as the underlying kernel, but does specify services that the chosen OS must provide. So, BlackBerry could have taken the more costly route using QNX Neutrino to develop their Google Android implementation instead SE Linux.
    My comments have nothing to do with google's use of virtual machines to run code. It is just a simple statement that drivers get written for kernels, and the kernel in BB10 is QNX. Don't misconstrue it any other way.

BlackBerry would not use QNX to implement Android's userland for the simple facts that 1) It would be stupid to do so. 2) Costly as you pointed out. 3) Probably wouldn't work, because android is tie to the hip with the Linux kernel. 4) Would still have the same issue of not having access to playstore or google services.

Emulation of Android stopped at 4.3 due to implementations of native API code. That means less virtual machines that you are referring to. Android 4.4 and beyond would require a bit more than implementing a VM in QNX.

But the entire conversation is moot. BB10 is dead, it will not be saved... It makes no economic sense for BB or us to talk about it.
    06-17-17 12:01 AM
    My comments have nothing to do with google's use of virtual machines to run code. It is just a simple statement that drivers get written for kernels...

Emulation of Android stopped at 4.3 due to implementations of native API code. That means less virtual machines that you are referring to. Android 4.4 and beyond would require a bit more than implementing a VM in QNX.
    It has limited NDK support and ART was not required for 4.4. What about native code stopped emulation at 4.3?
    06-17-17 04:19 PM
153 ... 567