The title was "a little" misleading
    Now that the title has been adjusted...
    I hear its an incredible all touch monster with fuzzy dice and bucket seats.

[Wishful thinking] Blackberry OS will be continuing after all.-garett-large.jpg
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-09-17 11:07 AM
    Wish in one hand and crap in the other. Which one fills first?
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-09-17 11:33 AM
    Wish in one hand and crap in the other. Which one fills first?
    Dude... you are harshing my buzz!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-09-17 11:42 AM
    Guys, what I'm hoping and waiting from a blackberry is...
    Let's just try to soft land your expectations right now.

There will be no further bb10 development. There is no one from the bb10 staff left at BlackBerry. Blackberry has almost no interest in devices going forward. The licensing of Blackberry Android is just a small, incidental business.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    06-09-17 11:54 AM
    Check this report :

BlackBerry discusses long-term plans for BB10 operating system, despite recent Android push

I guess blackberry won't give up on her own OS, It will keep fighting till the very last end.

I believe that there is a big surprise for ßlackßerry OS users, blackberry OS merged somehow with android to make the perfect due, perfect OS, bb10 smoothness and gestures and hub with android play store and all the apps working fluently together.

It's not impossible, actually I think it's very possible because we're on 2017!!

From my silver edition  BlackBerry® Passport
    It's ok.......take a deep breath and get back on those meds.
    06-09-17 01:30 PM
    Err... what? Not that I believe BlackBerry will continue with BB10 (though I can hope), but 2 months without movement is nothing.
    It has been way more than two months for any real movement. howermat was only referring to even the basic movement of having a new build number or any activity. They used to move new builds around all the time on the dev servers, now there has been nothing silence. Not even any upstream bug fixes in anticipation of the next build.
    06-09-17 02:45 PM
    It has been way more than two months for any real movement. howermat was only referring to even the basic movement of having a new build number or any activity.
    The last build was Feb 3 (4 months ago) - which never saw the light of day. The previous (and latest available) build was Dec 12 of last year.
    06-09-17 02:50 PM
    But BlackBerry OS is already EOL. Perhaps you mean BB10?

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    06-09-17 03:50 PM
    There is so much wishful thinking on all sides. BlackBerry faithful that will jump on the most atrocious click bate with the least amount of positive spin on one side. On the other a group that consider themselves realists who act as though carefully explaining the situation to the first group one last time will get them to see reason. Much like watching political discourse, but not as much fun.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    minttea likes this.
    06-09-17 04:09 PM
    I wish I still had hope.
    06-09-17 04:13 PM
    On the other a group that consider themselves realists who act as though carefully explaining the situation to the first group one last time will get them to see reason.
    Tried ignoring them, but they didn't go away.

Much like watching political discourse, but not as much fun.
    Oh come on! Some of this has been damn entertaining!
    06-09-17 09:14 PM
    Guys, what I'm hoping and waiting from a blackberry is that they manage somehow to merge bb OS with android OS, it's not impossible at all, they have done a magnificent job with bb10 with android runtime which allows you to run apk files on blackberry OS, the next step is easy and close, blackberry OS that accepts only Apks which has play store pre-installed and maybe some other gapps, now we have amazon app store but it's not satisfying.

In my opinion, blackberry is capable to do such a revolutionary OS, the only major problem would be with convincing alphabet (google), if alphabet agreed, it will be really revolution in cellphones market, many companies will follow blackberry leads which will change the game for alphabet, but now alphabet developing a new OS (fuchsia) which may replace android.

BlackBerry won't give up her own OS just like that, even after partnership with TCL.

bro... (with emotional face then taps his shoulder..)

move on... BB10 is now just a part of history..
    if u love bb embrace android if u hate android shift to apple if you hate apple go to another dying OS microsoft.(im not sure if dying or dead already). now if you still hate microsoft go look for old nokia device with symbian OS if you still hate symbian go for the old nokia 3310 the best phone/weapon. you can use it to defend urself by hitting ur attacker without breaking the phone. or go get ur beeper/pager hehehehe

bottom line blackberry is going android love it or hate it
    06-09-17 09:46 PM
    BB10 until the browser stops working! Cheap Android for apps you need but no more.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-17 03:40 AM
    Try Opera (not Opera Mini) from the Amazon App Store.

And for those who say that all the BB10 developers are gone, how much of the BB10 code base is a version of QNX Neutrino?

Why would a reorganization not be made so what BB10 work is done is done by the QNX subsidiary?

How many people who worked on BB10 are now part of QNX?

How much of BB10 was added to QNX products or into Radar?

Also, the people that came along with BlackBerry's acquisitions have wide ranging expertise.
    Last edited by DonHB; 06-12-17 at 12:13 PM.
    06-12-17 11:55 AM
    Try Opera (not Opera Mini) from the Amazon App Store.

And for those who say that all the BB10 developers are gone, how much of the BB10 code base is a version of QNX Neutrino?

Why would a reorganization not be made so what BB10 work is done is done by the QNX subsidiary?

How many people who worked on BB10 are now part of QNX?

How much of BB10 was added to QNX products or into Radar?

Also, the people that came along with BlackBerry's acquisitions have wide ranging expertise.
    Just a WAG but <1/3 QNX and >2/3 BB10.
    I would not be surprised if the ratio leaned far more in BB10's direction.
    The design philosophy of pushing complexity up the stack is relevant here.
    Also remember BB10 was designed and coded under extreme time pressure.
    Development teams tend not to write lean, concise, maintainable, testable code under these circumstances.
    QA also feels pressure to "get with the program".
    The technological debt would have been piling up.

As for QNX guys doing the higher layers, Linus Torvalds writing git is a rare exception.

Why do I feel like I'm going to regret this?
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 06-12-17 at 01:06 PM.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-12-17 12:54 PM
    QNX was used as the foundation of BB10 much like concrete is used as a foundation for a house. But a concrete foundation is not a house - it has no walls, no roof, no doors or windows, no plumbing, no electrical, etc. That doesn't mean the foundation isn't important to the structure - it absolutely is - but you can't live in a foundation, and you wouldn't put your stuff there, or decorate, etc.

BB10 is likely 80-90% unique code, built on top of QNX. That doesn't mean QNX isn't vital to BB10, but it means that most of BB10 isn't important to QNX as a whole or to other applications that QNX is used for.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-12-17 01:07 PM
    Try Opera (not Opera Mini) from the Amazon App Store.And for those who say that all the BB10 developers are gone, how much of the BB10 code base is a version of QNX Neutrino?Why would a reorganization not be made so what BB10 work is done is done by the QNX subsidiary?How many people who worked on BB10 are now part of QNX?How much of BB10 was added to QNX products or into Radar?Also, the people that came along with BlackBerry's acquisitions have wide ranging expertise.
    I repeat my comment in post #21 . Suppose all that is true. Still, where is the new hardware? I want to keep using BB10 as much as anyone. But I know in a couple years it doesn't matter about the software if I don't have hardware.
    06-12-17 01:07 PM
    I wish they would do that. I am liking the Keyone more and more but miss the Classic still so far. wish apps would be developed and work on Classic from the Google Play store or have Snap updated.
    06-12-17 01:20 PM
    Why do I feel like I'm going to regret this?
    Because those who forget (another poster's) history are doomed to repeat it?
    DrBoomBotz and BigBadWulf like this.
    06-12-17 01:22 PM
    I repeat my comment in post #21 . Suppose all that is true. Still, where is the new hardware? I want to keep using BB10 as much as anyone. But I know in a couple years it doesn't matter about the software if I don't have hardware.
    Who would sell the BB10 phones if they were built. BlackBerry is out of the hardware business. TCL has the exclusive right to sell BlackBerry branded phones in most of the world. TCL has stated they are only interested in BlackBerry Android phones.
    06-12-17 02:29 PM
    Only one carrier going to carry the keyone in the USA? And that isn't even for a couple months yet.
    06-12-17 03:32 PM
    BlackBerry won't give up her own OS just like that, even after partnership with TCL.

They already have
    06-12-17 03:40 PM
    I had a similar dream, was surrounded by iZombies felled by a mass hack, all wandering around looking for a signal and free wall plug, muttering something about iTunes, while I stood victorious with my Passport... But then they started chasing me! I have to stop eating cheese at night.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-12-17 03:42 PM
    I had a similar dream, was surrounded by iZombies felled by a mass hack, all wandering around looking for a signal and free wall plug, muttering something about iTunes, while I stood victorious with my Passport... But then they started chasing me! I have to stop eating cheese at night.
    Don't make me come after you with my Palm gear!
    06-13-17 12:34 AM
    QNX was used as the foundation of BB10 much like concrete is used as a foundation for a house. But a concrete foundation is not a house - it has no walls, no roof, no doors or windows, no plumbing, no electrical, etc. That doesn't mean the foundation isn't important to the structure - it absolutely is - but you can't live in a foundation, and you wouldn't put your stuff there, or decorate, etc.

BB10 is likely 80-90% unique code, built on top of QNX. That doesn't mean QNX isn't vital to BB10, but it means that most of BB10 isn't important to QNX as a whole or to other applications that QNX is used for.
    If what you are saying is true I question BlackBerry's future as a software company. And an OS is far more than concrete, but the code that makes up the UX (including app integration, etc.) is a large part of a system. Also, it would be interesting to know how much of BB10 has been migrated into current QNX releases such as power management.
    06-13-17 11:38 AM
153 1234 ...