This feature is senseless and means nothing for me... I�m a clerk in a large german administration... when I want to note "slow-motion" I just have to look at our procedures and adaptability... So far I cant recognize any difference between a slow gauge and my "normal" professional life... :-)
    12-19-13 08:06 AM
    Just buy a GoPro, record 720p at 120fps and then slow it down the proper way. Or, if you're really good with video editing, record 1080p at 60fps and slow that down.
    OR, if you really care about slowmo, buy this: 4 Megapixel Sensor High Speed Camera | Phantom v641 Camera
    You can slow that **** down 10x and still have 145fps.

And here's my opinion part: I don't get the deal with everyone wanting more and more out of "phones". Am I the only old fashioned one who uses the phone primarily as a phone, email/texting second, and snap the occasional picture when I don't have my DSLR on hand?
    I don't get it either, but you and I aren't the only two types of users out there. Some people rely heavily on their mobile devices. Others just think the more 'features' they have access to the better the device will be. There must be a demand on some sort as the device manufacturers are adding more and more features, and consumers seem to be eating it up.
    12-19-13 08:36 AM
    Just buy a GoPro, record 720p at 120fps and then slow it down the proper way. Or, if you're really good with video editing, record 1080p at 60fps and slow that down.
    OR, if you really care about slowmo, buy this: 4 Megapixel Sensor High Speed Camera | Phantom v641 Camera
    You can slow that **** down 10x and still have 145fps.

And here's my opinion part: I don't get the deal with everyone wanting more and more out of "phones". Am I the only old fashioned one who uses the phone primarily as a phone, email/texting second, and snap the occasional picture when I don't have my DSLR on hand?
    Well, if the best camera is the one you have on you, and the best picture/video the one that you took at the time, the best presentation the one you edited of your stuff... It's a logical progression given that phones are carried around at all times way more than cameras and don't stand out.

Every phone manufacturer is putting a lot of emphasis on camera hardware. It is one of the few areas they can really differentiate still that isn't largely nerd-spec-speak area. And judging by all the amateur photos and videos floating out there I can see why they do it, everyone is either an aspiring star or blogger or exhibitionist
    12-19-13 09:34 AM
    Well enough about the slo-mo camera... Let us focus on more important features that would be fantastic such as:
    • Built in equalizer for the native media player
    • Scrollable app groups (So that you can have more than 16 apps per group)

I've thought of more, but can't think of them now.
    12-19-13 11:32 AM
    The BlackBerry camera API's are very robust. Most aren't active ATM, so don't rule it out
    12-19-13 11:39 AM
    Seems like something that would be pretty easy to build into an app..
    An app cannot make a camera record 720p HD @ 120 FPS. The hardware has to be capable of recording at the higher frame rate.
    12-19-13 02:14 PM
    Recording a video at 120fps is actually the last thing I need on a phone... Wait. I don't need that feature at all.
    12-19-13 02:17 PM
    Interesting.
    Yes, the camera records at a higher frame rate and then you can play it back at 30FPS resulting in a smooth slow motion video.

HTC devices have been able to do this since mid-2011 (Vivid, Rezound, One X, One, etc.). Some Samsung (Note II, IIRC) phones can do it, but at a more limited resolution of [IIRC] 720*480 (Apple and HTC does it at 1280*720).

The camera in the phone has to be capable of recording 60FPS or higher.

This is a BIG deal for people who use smart devices for things like sports video analysis in training, etc. It means you can take a maneuver that happens in half a second and observe every single detail of it in very high quality. Using 30 FPS video, you get frame skips that can skip over a crucial moment in the video (example: trying to see if a somersault or other twisting element is fully rotated (Gymnastics or Figure Skating)), but 120 would have very little chance of skipping that, and the image quality is much better to boot.

iPhones are very popular here because of that, and a lot of people are upgrading to the 5S for it. All the mobile analysis apps like Coach's Eye and Ubersense are being updated in iOS for 60 FPS recording, while on other platforms they only do 30. It's a huge competitive advantage over other phones/platforms to have this in some "use case" markets as this type of technology becomes more widely used due to the expenses being too high for things like Dartfish Software (and computer/camera systems to run it) - among other things.
    swervable and AmenCornerGolf like this.
    12-19-13 02:25 PM
    Neat feature but non-life-enhancing for me. I can't think of a single time when I've ever shot video with my phone and thought, "Gee, I wish I could play that in slow-mo.". Also, 120 fps sounds excessive. The Hobbit was shot at 48 fps and that was a big deal.

I have a DSLR, Manfrotto tripod, lights and various means of editing. My phone cameras will never replace that.

But it is a neat feature -- just not for me.
    It's very disappointing how narrow some people's world view are when they examing the effect of technology...

This is probably one of the most ill-informed replies that I've seen in 2013.
    12-19-13 02:32 PM
    A couple of images of the assets in the 10.200.1.41 camera that comes with 10.2.1.1055 that are not active in the build, but are included in the native assets.
    Attached Thumbnails Wish We Had Super Slow Mo on the BB10 Camera-10.200.1.41_camera.gif   Wish We Had Super Slow Mo on the BB10 Camera-720p_settings.gif   Wish We Had Super Slow Mo on the BB10 Camera-720-60.gif   Wish We Had Super Slow Mo on the BB10 Camera-hi-speed.gif   Wish We Had Super Slow Mo on the BB10 Camera-panorama.gif  

Last edited by LP_Rigg; 12-19-13 at 02:59 PM. Reason: additional images
    AngryEdmontonian likes this.
    12-19-13 02:37 PM
    If BBPandy or anyone else remembers which 10.2.0 build had the hi speed feature available in the camera, I'll try loading it on one of my spare phones. If it does actually work, I'll try and see if the .bar will work on a 10.2.1 install.
    12-19-13 03:33 PM
    If BBPandy or anyone else remembers which 10.2.0 build had the hi speed feature available in the camera, I'll try loading it on one of my spare phones. If it does actually work, I'll try and see if the .bar will work on a 10.2.1 install.
    Not sure I remember the build. It was not very stable & although it high-speed & panorama, it made all aspects of the camera buggy. If anyone were to install the bar they wouldn't be doing much more then breaking their camera lol

I'm hopeful that we will see them in the official 10.2.1 build. Afterall, the files / features are still in 10.2.1.1055 , just disabled / missing GUI assets

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 05:57 PM
    Well enough about the slo-mo camera... Let us focus on more important features that would be fantastic such as:
    • Built in equalizer for the native media player
    • Scrollable app groups (So that you can have more than 16 apps per group)

I've thought of more, but can't think of them now.
    Yup! I was surprised to find out that there is no equaliser

Posted via Ultracool Z10 on 10.2.1.1055 leak. Iphone... save files on your iphone browser, lol
    12-19-13 06:25 PM
    Don't think there was a bar file with the high speed or panorama, it just had d assets for panorama, and low light mode feature with the high-speed icon

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    12-19-13 06:34 PM
    Don't think there was a bar file with the high speed or panorama, it just had d assets for panorama, and low light mode feature with the high-speed icon

I think you're right. Google couldn't find anything, and the assets didn't appear until the 10.2.0.1xxx builds, which should have been fairly stable by that point.

I'd just like to know if the current hardware is capable of 60fps, because then it would be possible to at least write an app to do 1/2 speed slo-mo.
    12-19-13 07:16 PM

There was a low light mode working, but not the others. I actually enjoyed it. Have it archived on my work computer at the office.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 07:50 PM
    I think you're right. Google couldn't find anything, and the assets didn't appear until the 10.2.0.1xxx builds, which should have been fairly stable by that point.

I'd just like to know if the current hardware is capable of 60fps, because then it would be possible to at least write an app to do 1/2 speed slo-mo.
    One would have to think it is capable of 60fps as the native assets show them as menu items in the last several builds. Unless they are teasing us like with the Porsche Design clock

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 07:53 PM

I honestly think it is capable, the 4s and 5 don't have 60fps capability right?...

12-19-13 07:53 PM
    The 5 definitely does. Not sure about anything older.
    12-19-13 08:09 PM
    My LG Viewty did this back when iPhone's were babies, it was a neat toy and something to show off about.

I was pretty disappointed that the challenge to the iPhone fizzled out after that for a good few years.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 08:14 PM
    The 5 definitely does. Not sure about anything older.
    I've heard 4S also has it, but I don't think this is true. I have iOS7 on my 4S & I don't have Slow-Mo.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 01:54 AM
    It would be a tool. I do HvacR. Would use it for noisy blowers or fans. Then could slow it down to see what it may be hitting.
    08-02-14 08:07 AM
72 123