Why would we ever need that feature? Tools not toys

*ends up on BlackBerry*
    OMG best feature ever!! I love BlackBerry, they always have the best ideas.

Posted via CB10
    Some of us make home movies and movies of our kids sporting events. Things like slowing the action down or any other editing tricks makes it that less painful for them to watch when showing their grandparents.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 08:17 PM
    Neat feature but non-life-enhancing for me. I can't think of a single time when I've ever shot video with my phone and thought, "Gee, I wish I could play that in slow-mo.". Also, 120 fps sounds excessive. The Hobbit was shot at 48 fps and that was a big deal.

I have a DSLR, Manfrotto tripod, lights and various means of editing. My phone cameras will never replace that.

But it is a neat feature -- just not for me.
    Ah, but phone and point and shoot cameras are killing the photography business.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 08:23 PM
    Why would you think it has to be tools or toys? There's no reason not to have tools and toys with the same device.
    swervable and Donvald like this.
    12-17-13 08:48 PM
    I think he was being sarcastic. QUOTE=heymaggie;9722367]Why would you think it has to be tools or toys? There's no reason not to have tools and toys with the same device.[/QUOTE]
    12-17-13 09:18 PM
    i'd be happy if the next OS update gave me an option to record movies at 60 FPS at 720P...
    12-18-13 01:14 AM
    I think we all agree that it's a cool feature which is what the op was stating I believe.

Keep The Faith
    swervable likes this.
    12-18-13 02:15 AM
    yup, I think BB z10/z30 cameras, which can shoot at 1080p (full HD) @ 30 FPS should be able to shoot 720p videos at 60 FPS
    12-18-13 04:04 AM
    I'm no dev by any means, so pardon my ignorance.. but why couldn't software slow down a video and save it as a new file?
    High end high speed cameras can capture up to 3.000 fps.

If you capture at 30 fps and replay that at a 4 times slower pace, you end up with 7,5 fps. Result: it stutters and you don't see more 'detail' opposed to regular speed viewing. The frames you need just weren't recorded. By logic it is similar to a 1280*720 photo displayed on a 1280*720 screen: you can zoom in, but you won't see 'more'. This is why real high speed cameras need to capture more than 30 fps, because this is how it works.

30 fps is 1/1 speed
    60 fps for 1/2 speed @ 30 fps
    120 fps for 1/4 speed @ 30 fps
    3.000 fps for 1/1,000 speed @ 30 fps

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 04:18 AM
    *pours on more gas*

Ok so the whole idea tools not toys is part of the reason BB is where it is now. The industry is tool/toy now heck it's more of toy/tool more toy than tool. And the market share reflects this. BB needs to change with the times. And they have not. This current OS is a great step in the right direction, but it needs to keep expanding. Features like slo-mo baked into the OS are some of the reasons iOS stays on top. BB needs to understand that being a business only phone is not going to cut it.

Now don't misunderstand me I am going to stay with BB till the bitter end. I love my Z10 but I do have a wandering eye and that 5s is pretty sexy. And having OS updates pushed right from Apple is pretty awesome. Now Android is like that crazy pierced and tattooed guy/gal you have no idea how you ended up with and are just hanging on for as long as you can handle it.

So yeah we needs more sexy stuff on our phones!
    12-18-13 08:47 AM
    so it looks like on the new 5s there is this super awesome slow motion feature built into the camera. It is so cool! Ok that is all have a great day y'all!
    We had that feature in a leak during the summer. Then it went the way of the squircle & was never seen again
    I've had my eyes pealed looking for it, because it was one of the biggest things I was looking forward to with 10.2 Everyone else was excited about headless apps, me I was looking forward to the new camera settings, especially "High Speed Video"
    12-18-13 10:29 AM
    We had that feature in a leak during the summer. Then it went the way of the squircle & was never seen again
    I've had my eyes pealed looking for it, because it was one of the biggest things I was looking forward to with 10.2 Everyone else was excited about headless apps, me I was looking forward to the new camera settings, especially "High Speed Video"
    The code is still there in the camera app for it, it's just not in use.
    Did it actually work on any current devices when using that particular leak?
    I thought the camera hardware was only capable of capturing 30FPS, meaning they'd need a new device in order to take advantage of the hi-speed video feature.

If the existing devices camera modules are actually capable of capturing at 60FPS, then Blackberry could issue a software update to allow users to take advantage of that and at least record at 1/2 speed. Apple did this with the iPhone 5 when they release iOS7, since it's camera module is capable of 60FPS recording.
    12-18-13 10:37 AM
    It would be a nice feature to have.
    12-18-13 12:50 PM
    The code is still there in the camera app for it, it's just not in use.
    Did it actually work on any current devices when using that particular leak?
    I thought the camera hardware was only capable of capturing 30FPS, meaning they'd need a new device in order to take advantage of the hi-speed video feature.

If the existing devices camera modules are actually capable of capturing at 60FPS, then Blackberry could issue a software update to allow users to take advantage of that and at least record at 1/2 speed. Apple did this with the iPhone 5 when they release iOS7, since it's camera module is capable of 60FPS recording.
    From what I recall it worked at 60FPS. It also had issues with the flash. I guess they must have had some issues that were not easy to fix as to why they didn't activate the code in 10.2

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 01:31 PM
    I agree that's a cool feature
    12-18-13 06:12 PM
    Interesting to find out it is a hardware issue. Learn something new everyday.

I also like the features that come with Advanced Camera,
    Advanced Camera for BlackBerry Z10 - BlackBerry World
    I first bought it for my Playbook and have taken some "interesting" time lapse videos. Now that I am my Z10 I'll probably have to go get it again.
    12-18-13 07:55 PM
    From what I recall it worked at 60FPS. It also had issues with the flash. I guess they must have had some issues that were not easy to fix as to why they didn't activate the code in 10.2

Posted via CB10
    If the hardware can capture at 60fps, then they could fudge it to 120fps by interpolating an extra frame in between each real frame using motion vectors extracted by the MPEG encoding process. Just don't expect to be able to view it right away... lol.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 08:02 PM
    If the hardware can capture at 60fps, then they could fudge it to 120fps by interpolating an extra frame in between each real frame using motion vectors extracted by the MPEG encoding process. Just don't expect to be able to view it right away... lol.

Posted via CB10
    Even at 60FPM slowmo works. Just look at Slowmo taken on an iPhone 5 (which does 60FPM) 120FPM just adds an extra slow slowmo

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 08:46 PM
    I first bought it for my Playbook and have taken some "interesting" time lapse videos. Now that I am my Z10 I'll probably have to go get it again.
    Thx for the BlackBerry World link. I checked it out, that's a cool looking app. Would like to buy it, but my main device (which is where I would want it) is a Q10 & for some reason this app is not available for the Q10

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 08:48 PM

*ends up on BlackBerry*
    OMG best feature ever!! I love BlackBerry, they always have the best ideas.
    Funny but true, though the same could be said for any of the platforms.
    12-18-13 10:03 PM
    Interesting to find out it is a hardware issue. Learn something new everyday.

That's my default picture-taking app right there
    Toodeurep likes this.
    12-18-13 10:04 PM
    I actually really want this feature...I was considering getting an iPhone 5S JUST to use the camera, while using my Z10 as my daily driver (because I don't like proprietary connectors or iTunes)...HOWEVER, the price of the 5S made me just want it on a new BlackBerry.

AFAIK, it is the Sony Sensor in the new iPhone 5S that is responsible for the HFR of 120 f/s. It also has smaller pixels (1.5�) which allow for more detail.

I'm not a fan of the company, but I will admit that they implement some impressive tech every now and then...in this case, it is actually Sony that is making the impressive tech.

So yeah, BlackBerry; contact Sony and put this awesome sensor in your Z50! NAO!
    12-18-13 11:27 PM
    Just buy a GoPro, record 720p at 120fps and then slow it down the proper way. Or, if you're really good with video editing, record 1080p at 60fps and slow that down.
    OR, if you really care about slowmo, buy this: 4 Megapixel Sensor High Speed Camera | Phantom v641 Camera
    You can slow that **** down 10x and still have 145fps.

And here's my opinion part: I don't get the deal with everyone wanting more and more out of "phones". Am I the only old fashioned one who uses the phone primarily as a phone, email/texting second, and snap the occasional picture when I don't have my DSLR on hand?
    12-19-13 07:10 AM
    Just buy a GoPro, record 720p at 120fps and then slow it down the proper way. Or, if you're really good with video editing, record 1080p at 60fps and slow that down.
    OR, if you really care about slowmo, buy this: 4 Megapixel Sensor High Speed Camera | Phantom v641 Camera
    You can slow that **** down 10x and still have 145fps.

And here's my opinion part: I don't get the deal with everyone wanting more and more out of "phones". Am I the only old fashioned one who uses the phone primarily as a phone, email/texting second, and snap the occasional picture when I don't have my DSLR on hand?
    For me...it is simple...I'm just really, REALLY, lazy. I don't like carrying things around with me, however, I always have my phone with me. It would be nice if my phone could do this as well.
    12-19-13 07:13 AM
    Why would you buy a 5s "just for the camera".

I rather buy a Nokia just for the camera.

I actually really want this feature...I was considering getting an iPhone 5S JUST to use the camera, while using my Z10 as my daily driver (because I don't like proprietary connectors or iTunes)...HOWEVER, the price of the 5S made me just want it on a new BlackBerry.

AFAIK, it is the Sony Sensor in the new iPhone 5S that is responsible for the HFR of 120 f/s. It also has smaller pixels (1.5�) which allow for more detail.

I'm not a fan of the company, but I will admit that they implement some impressive tech every now and then...in this case, it is actually Sony that is making the impressive tech.

So yeah, BlackBerry; contact Sony and put this awesome sensor in your Z50! NAO!
    12-19-13 07:42 AM
    Why would you buy a 5s "just for the camera".

I rather buy a Nokia just for the camera.
    Well, I would only get it for the video part of the camera, so no Nokia. Also, the 5S is tiny and I wouldn't even notice it in my jeans with my Z10...since I don't notice an extra Z10 in there when carrying my Brother's...a full camera is not so tiny.
    12-19-13 07:52 AM
72 123