In Canada, on April 8, 2018, the CTRC is launching these new alert for life threatening situations in a person's area. I see the carriers have or are testing all of their current phones, but I can't see to locate anything for the BB10's.

Anyone have any links to share?

Thanks
    03-21-18 06:00 PM
    Is that the same technology as we use in Europe? If so, then yes BB10 supports it by default. If not, then disregard this comment and wait for someone else to comment

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    03-21-18 06:07 PM
    I know BB10 has emergency alert capabilities (at least in the United States) but I'm unsure if it's compatible with what the carriers in Canada are coming out with. In lieu of word from a carrier, I guess the only way is to wait for the public alert test some time in May.
    03-21-18 06:14 PM
    That guy from Hawaii seemed keen for the job.
    glwerry likes this.
    03-21-18 08:16 PM
    Your carrier should be informing you of the their tests and supported phones. For example:

http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/suppor...N&geoResult=ON

Has a list of currently supported phones with the proviso that me are to be added. If not, you should contact them and ask.

However you should bear in mind that any system that is so narrowly defined as to only support such a small list would never be accepted by Public Safety. Carriers and their lawyers are likely only going to listen devices they have actually tested, for liability reasons.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    03-22-18 03:56 AM
    Your carrier should be informing you of the their tests and supported phones. For example:

Wireless Public Alerting - Virgin Mobile Canada

Has a list of currently supported phones with the proviso that me are to be added. If not, you should contact them and ask.

However you should bear in mind that any system that is so narrowly defined as to only support such a small list would never be accepted by Public Safety. Carriers and their lawyers are likely only going to listen devices they have actually tested, for liability reasons.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    Yes, I guess I'll have to wait and see. I know they are testing all the phones they currently sell. The KeyOne and the Motion are on the list.

In the Hub>Settings, there is a Cell Broadcast. I can add channels, but not sure if this is the same thing as the WPA. Guess I will find out.
    03-22-18 10:54 AM

http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/suppor...N&geoResult=ON

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    Our national emergency system doesn't list BB10 devices either, despite the fact that their emergency alerts work by default on BB10, i.e. it's configured with the right settings out-of-the-box. So lists don't tell the whole truth...

03-22-18 06:10 PM
    Our national emergency system doesn't list BB10 devices either, despite the fact that their emergency alerts work by default on BB10, i.e. it's configured with the right settings out-of-the-box. So lists don't tell the whole truth...

You are right. I suspect any phone built after the international standards were set will work. On the other hand as soon as layers get involved...
    03-24-18 10:05 AM
    My Blackberry Z30 shows WPA2-PSK in the advanced settings detail. Does that mean it is WPA compatible and should receive Alerts?
    05-02-18 06:41 AM
    My Blackberry Z30 shows WPA2-PSK in the advanced settings detail. Does that mean it is WPA compatible and should receive Alerts?
    No, that's WPA as in WiFi security. Nothing to do with alerts.
    05-02-18 08:04 AM
    My carrier said the device has to be on 4G/LTE

Posted via CB10
    05-02-18 09:01 AM
    My Z30 on Koodo did not get the alert today...but there were quite a number of glitches in these tests...so, no way to know if it was the phone's fault or the transmission's.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-18 10:54 PM
    This is a general topic where I think any phone OS in the last five years is most likely supported by some basic common standard. Again, not an IT guy. I just don’t see government agencies living in the now but in some context of some 10-20 year period where everything is covered by obsolescence and ineptitude of sheer existence. LOL I don’t mean Canada. I mean all governments.
    05-10-18 06:22 AM
    I didn't get it either. I was in a room 15 people and only 1 person got the message. Probably a lot of tweaking to be done.
    05-10-18 10:49 AM
    Neither of the phones in my home got it. The TV and WeatherNetwork apps on iPads did.
    05-10-18 12:46 PM
    We had a test yesterday and it was REALLY strange.
    I run a PRIV on Bell/MTS (Manitoba, Canada, eh). I received mine fine.

My boss next door has 2 iPhones; one on Bell/MTS, the other on Rogers (I THINK) - one got the message, one didn't.

There were 2 or 3 others in our department who didn't get the message - varies by carrier, it seems.

Interestingly, we live right near the Manitoba/Saskatchewan border. So I got the Manitoba alarm and then an hour later got the alarm from Saskatchewan.

So, if y'all see me heading out of town in a panic, just FOLLOW!
    05-10-18 01:29 PM
    We had a test yesterday and it was REALLY strange.
    I run a PRIV on Bell/MTS (Manitoba, Canada, eh). I received mine fine.

My boss next door has 2 iPhones; one on Bell/MTS, the other on Rogers (I THINK) - one got the message, one didn't.

There were 2 or 3 others in our department who didn't get the message - varies by carrier, it seems.

Interestingly, we live right near the Manitoba/Saskatchewan border. So I got the Manitoba alarm and then an hour later got the alarm from Saskatchewan.

So, if y'all see me heading out of town in a panic, just FOLLOW!
    But will you be following Manitoba or Saskatchewan instructions?

You could single handily be responsible for partial demise of not one but two provinces...... LOL
    05-10-18 04:25 PM
    But will you be following Manitoba or Saskatchewan instructions?

You could single handily be responsible for partial demise of not one but two provinces...... LOL
    Yes ... the responsibility weighs heavily upon my tired old shoulders.

It partially depends on which way the emergency is coming from - I will then escape to the other province.

You also missed a wonderful opportunity to lampoon me for being a "borderline case"!
    Get yer act together!

Oh, and YAY JETS!
    05-11-18 08:09 AM
    So did, like, anyone receive the alert on a BB10 phone?
    05-14-18 10:57 AM
    Any BB10 phone get two alerts today in Ontario?
    05-14-18 11:33 AM
    Any BB10 phone get two alerts today in Ontario?
    I'm in Ontario and I continue to get zero alerts on my Q10.
    05-15-18 01:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    05-15-18 04:05 PM
    I guess when Nibiru hits, I and other BB10 users won't see it coming...
    05-15-18 06:11 PM
    I'm in Ontario and I continue to get zero alerts on my Q10.
    That settles it then.
    05-15-18 06:41 PM
    I haven't received nada myself. Like Conite said. That pretty much sums it up. We won't be receiving these alerts.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-18 07:17 PM
28 12