Blackberry has to get this into the OS and not from an app like PrintHand. One of the biggest shortcomings when I compare to iPhone. I need to print emails from my phone often. Should just be standard...

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 07:13 PM
    Printershare amazon app store

Robertino BB-Z30
    02-13-15 07:26 PM
    Blackberry has to get this into the OS and not from an app like PrintHand. One of the biggest shortcomings when I compare to iPhone. I need to print emails from my phone often. Should just be standard...

Posted via CB10
    I absolutely agree, one my pet peeves for a long. Especially being such productivity driven devices. You would think by now printing would part of the OS somehow, BlackBerry would make there own app or partner with a company to do so.
    bBOLD723 likes this.
    02-13-15 07:49 PM
    Agreed. The ability to print should be built into a productive device. It should be throughout the system like the ability to share

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 10:45 PM
    Maybe you should invest in one of todays printers, just a thought

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.2267
    02-13-15 10:58 PM
    There was an identical thread today on this. I've copied my response below:

People don't seem to understand that if you want wireless printing you have to either: 1) convince printer manufacturers to include the necessary drivers and/or protocols on the printer itself (eg: Airprint and Google Cloud Print), or 2) have an app on the phone that can download from a giant database of printer drivers.

Since it is unlikely that 1 above is feasible for BlackBerry and its lack of market clout, then only 2 is viable. Download Printhand from BBW. Done. Works great.

Another more generic option exists, which is printing to an email address associated with your printer (most new printers can do this).

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    anon(4067838) likes this.
    02-13-15 11:09 PM
    If everything was part of the OS no apps would exist.
    02-13-15 11:29 PM
    Wondering why we can't simply just share an email with a print app like Print Hand or Think Free Print?

Passport OS 10.3.1.2243
    02-13-15 11:57 PM

Another more generic option exists, which is printing to an email address associated with your printer (most new printers can do this).

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    ^^this is what works well for me, and I use a $50 Epson wifi printer, with email. Nice, easy setup.

Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast!
    02-14-15 12:31 AM
    Ozfork,

How do you get your email from the Hub to the printer since there's no option to print an email?

Passport OS 10.3.1.2243
    02-14-15 12:57 AM

People don't seem to understand that if you want wireless printing you have to either: 1) convince printer manufacturers to include the necessary drivers and/or protocols on the printer itself (eg: Airprint and Google Cloud Print), or 2) have an app on the phone that can download from a giant database of printer drivers.

Since it is unlikely that 1 above is feasible for BlackBerry and its lack of market clout, then only 2 is viable. Download Printhand from BBW. Done. Works great.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    Why do you need to deal with their drivers? So far from what i've seen Linux Mint 17 can connect to wireless printers and print without downloading any sort of driver related to the printer.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    02-14-15 02:36 AM
    Why do you need to deal with their drivers? So far from what i've seen Linux Mint 17 can connect to wireless printers and print without downloading any sort of driver related to the printer.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    No different than a PC. How can you format the page without the printer driver? Only exception would be to print to a postscript or PCL printer (only some printers are compatible, and this really means that one particular standard driver is used).

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    Last edited by conite; 02-14-15 at 03:07 AM.
    02-14-15 02:52 AM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    Thanks for this info, I had no idea. Printing from my device was something I felt should be standard on a device these days, now this clears up the reason way it's not on BB. Print to email option is buggy on my Epson, but Printhand works very well.
    02-14-15 07:16 AM
    Printhand works well, That is what I've been using. You can highlight the email in the hub and share to Printhand to print out of the hub. However I would like to see the ability to print to pdf which I have found works best on android. Can even do Web pages to pdf and save them to one drive on the phone from the built in print no apps. I have not been able to find a way to do it on the Passport. On the iPhone I had to use a separate app to do it which was very cumbersome

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by mlbrowninsc; 02-14-15 at 08:43 AM.
    02-14-15 08:22 AM
    Ozfork,

How do you get your email from the Hub to the printer since there's no option to print an email?

Passport OS 10.3.1.2243
    Was interested in your question:

It appears that you can not directly send an email to a printer (using E Print from HP in this example) without first converting the email.

You would need an app like email saver or exporter to first save the email in a supported file type for HP ePrint :

Microsoft Word
    Microsoft PowerPoint
    Text files (.txt)
    PDF
    HTML
    Images (bmp, jpg, png, gif, tiff)

So once you save the email using one of those apps (email saver appears to integrate right into the hub and save as html), you can attach the saved file to an email sent to the E print address of the HP printer.

Not a direct solution, but not difficult or really that many additional steps.

Note: I am in no way affiliated with the listed apps nor do I have any experience with using them, I just searched BBW for "email to file"

Posted via CB10
    Wrec likes this.
    02-14-15 08:47 AM
    [QUOTE=mlbrowninsc;11351973]Printhand works well, That is what I've been using. You can highlight the email in the hub and share to Printhand to print out of the hub.

I must be doing something wrong or missing something . I can't figure out out how to share an email out of the Hub to PrintHand or any other print app. I have PrintHand, ThinkFree Print and Brother iPrint&Scan(android app). I actually like the last one best because I can print to scale.

Can you explain how to share to a print app from an email in the hub?

Passport OS 10.3.1.2243
    02-14-15 02:00 PM
    [QUOTE=zyphen;11352031]
    "once you save the email using one of those apps (email saver appears to integrate right into the hub and save as html), you can attach the saved file to an email sent to the E print address of the HP printer.

Not a direct solution, but not difficult or really that many additional steps."

Thanks for that advice.

I installed the EmailSaver app from BBW. Works good enough. I can save the email in a folder. Then open it using the File Manger and share it to a printer app

Just one of two more steps, not too cumbersome

Passport OS 10.3.1.2243
    Last edited by Wrec; 02-14-15 at 02:48 PM.
    02-14-15 02:37 PM
    Ozfork,

Passport OS 10.3.1.2243
    If you want to print an email, just forward it to the printer's email address, same with any attachments. I saved my printer's email address as a contact so it makes it easy. Hope this helps.

Wrec likes this.
    02-14-15 03:01 PM
    If you want to print an email, just forward it to the printer's email address, same with any attachments. I saved my printer's email address as a contact so it makes it easy. Hope this helps.

Sounds pretty simple . But either finding out what my Brother printer's email address is, or otherwise setting one up is looking like a bit of a project, at least for me

Unfortunately I need to shovel snow and do some work so it looks like a good project for next weekend. Wonder if there's a stickie about this?

Thanks

Passport OS 10.3.1.2243
    02-14-15 04:07 PM
    Sounds pretty simple . But either finding out what my Brother printer's email address is, or otherwise setting one up is looking like a bit of a project, at least for me

Unfortunately I need to shovel snow and do some work so it looks like a good project for next weekend. Wonder if there's a stickie about this?

Thanks

Passport OS 10.3.1.2243
    I use Brother iPrint&scan you can get it from Amazon app store.

All you do is share email to iPrint&scan works well

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 04:23 PM
    I use Brother iPrint&scan you can get it from Amazon app store.

All you do is share email to iPrint&scan works well

Posted via CB10
    I can't "share" any emails directly from the hub to any of the three print apps I have including iPrint&Scan How are you doing it?

I do like iPrint&Scan the best of the three though. It works well for sharing the standard office documents to my Brother printer, but it doesn't show up as an option for sharing HTML file types.

For printing email directly from the app itself, it seems to only work for Gmail by reading them from the Gmail server. I may be wrong on that though.

Passport OS 10.3.1.2243
    02-14-15 05:02 PM
    [QUOTE=Wrec;11352837]
    Printhand works well, That is what I've been using. You can highlight the email in the hub and share to Printhand to print out of the hub.

I must be doing something wrong or missing something . I can't figure out out how to share an email out of the Hub to PrintHand or any other print app. I have PrintHand, ThinkFree Print and Brother iPrint&Scan(android app). I actually like the last one best because I can print to scale.

Can you explain how to share to a print app from an email in the hub?

Passport OS 10.3.1.2243
    Open the email in the hub and then at the top of the email press and hold the first line. That will bring up the option to copy all, middle icon in the pop up. One the entire email is highlighted hit the share icon next to it and select printhand. Print hand will open with the selected text ready to print. I can also share to Epson print and get the same results but print hand is a bit quicker.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 07:31 PM
    [QUOTE=mlbrowninsc;11353513]

Open the email in the hub and then at the top of the email press and hold the first line. That will bring up the option to copy all, middle icon in the pop up. One the entire email is highlighted hit the share icon next to it and select printhand. Print hand will open with the selected text ready to print. I can also share to Epson print and get the same results but print hand is a bit quicker.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the enlightening. Your copy method works in a pinch, misses the header though.

After messing about with the Email Saver app, I'm the thinking the best method for me, at least until something better comes along, is to save the email to an EML file using the Email Saver app, then open it with the File Manager and share it to the ThinkFree Print app. It prints the header too. Only downfall is the font size is a touch big.

Passport OS 10.3.1.2243
    02-14-15 09:41 PM
    I can't "share" any emails directly from the hub to any of the three print apps I have including iPrint&Scan How are you doing it?

I do like iPrint&Scan the best of the three though. It works well for sharing the standard office documents to my Brother printer, but it doesn't show up as an option for sharing HTML file types.

For printing email directly from the app itself, it seems to only work for Gmail by reading them from the Gmail server. I may be wrong on that though.

Passport OS 10.3.1.2243
    Specific to Brother iPrint&Scan. You can either:

From hub: As suggested above, highlight/select all the email then use the share to share with brother iprint&scan.

Not from hub: Put your email address and password into Brother iprint&scan and print emails directly from the iprint&scan app.

Download a $1 app called "email saver" which will allow you to save emails on your BlackBerry 10 phone as htlm from hub. And use the print web page function from Brother iprint&scan - if you do this add the file location where you save emails as htlm or Eml to iprint&scan browser as a favourite.

Posted via CB10
    Wrec likes this.
    02-15-15 07:10 AM
    Thanks ggbb, looks like your above post pretty much summarizes the 3 opportunities for printing email using a printer app. As others have noted there's also the direct method of forwarding email to the printer.

I apologize to the OP for hijacking this post, didn't mean to. I certainly agree with the notion that Blackberry move towards better facilitation of printing from their devices, especially email.

Passport OS 10.3.1.2243
    02-15-15 10:55 AM
29 12