Hi, I'm sitting here having my morning coffee and it occurred to me that Microsoft is missing a trick. Simply put, they are the only handset manufacturer (via Nokia) that owns a major gaming brand (XBOX). We are all aware of the success of the limited edition XBOX 360 consoles with increased storage and game themed exteriors with custom sounds and controllers. Now, imagine the Titanfone or the Halo Handset with not just themed exteriors but themed UI's and sounds. Cortana for voice control etc...Consumers want functionality but also crave individuality (something Apple can't currently adequately cater for, hence the crazy popularity of the gold iPhone). my point is that I believe Microsoft will get there eventually so how about BlackBerry gets there first? It would perhaps require a dichotomy within the company and a new brand name for the consumer side of things while BlackBerry becomes synonymous with business. What say you guys?

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141 O2 UK
    03-13-14 02:16 AM
    Sounds interesting. I think a halo phone would be an awesome concept for gamers/teenagers. I don't see it being for grown ups though.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 03:14 AM
    Sounds interesting. I think a halo phone would be an awesome concept for gamers/teenagers. I don't see it being for grown ups though.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly! That's usually the demographic that has to have the latest and greatest. But a variety of these handsets doesn't preclude adults. Imagine if a company orders 2000 handsets, they could all be themed internally and externally in the company colours. Maybe with custom app icons etc..

03-13-14 03:25 AM
    Yes, teens want the latest and greatest, but from a manufacturing standpoint, it sounds like that would be easier to implement this with third party cases, an application specific to this game or that, and some high resolution pictures from the game for backgrounds. There's no real need to make phones based on something with as little staying power as a video game, especially when marketing to a very fickle consumer in teenagers.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 05:26 AM
    But it works, Porsche design for example. The additional cost is passed on to the end user and they seem willing to pay it. People pay to be different and as far as video games go, we only keep our phones for a couple of years anyway so long term appeal is of no importance. When LG came up with the Dolce and Gabana phone a few years ago, it sold like hotcakes. When Oakley released the Mission impossible sunglasses, same thing happened. The day one release version of the XBOX One was being sold on eBay for 3 times what it was worth and the only thing different from a regular XBOX One was that on the controller it says "day one release". Limited Edition sells, I've got the Halo XBOX 360, I didn't need a replacement XBOX so why did I buy it? The answer is that I can afford it and I wanted it. Simple as that. Get a Z30, different shape exterior, slap Versace on it, only make 10000 of them, bung in a free Versace case, charge 200 quid extra and watch em fly off the shelves. This works and is being used everywhere. It all started with lunchboxes. When I was a kid, I just had to have the latest star wars lunchbox or my life would simply end. Simple tweaks to the UI can give the user a different BlackBerry experience without sacrificing the essence of BlackBerry 10. I for one would have a Call of Duty phone in a heartbeat. And knowing it's a limited edition means an increase in resale value when I'm done with it. Batphone anyone? With the voice of Alfred the butler.

Norg likes this.
    03-13-14 06:02 AM
    I do believe Microsoft can dominate, but they didn't. If only all their divisions worked together, they would have been a force to be reckoned with. Although I'm not sure if this has something to do with their anti-trust case years ago. I remember Microsoft being a behemoth in the software industry that they had a monopoly in the market share during Bill Gates' time.
    03-13-14 06:16 AM
    With the drop off at Apple ever since Tim Cook took over, I have to wonder if we underestimate Gates' leadership at Microsoft. He was always more of a behind the scenes guy than Jobs but there certainly seem to be some missed opportunities. I don't think many companies will be willing to pay extra for "branded" cell phones. Most people end up putting smartphones in a protective case anyway and you can get cases in all sorts of colors and designs.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 07:40 AM
    Simply put, they are the only handset manufacturer (via Nokia) that owns a major gaming brand (XBOX)
    I think you may be mistaken. Sony has phones, tablets, PCs, portable gaming devices and the Playstation series. They own a few more options than Microsoft.

I do think this is a good idea though.
    03-13-14 10:12 AM
    What? Shhhhhh. Don't let them hear you! It's a terrible idea. It will never work. Uuhhh... dammit that is a good idea...
    03-13-14 10:48 AM
    I think you may be mistaken. Sony has phones, tablets, PCs, portable gaming devices and the Playstation series. They own a few more options than Microsoft.

I do think this is a good idea though.
    Unbelievably, I forgot about Sony.

03-13-14 11:36 AM
    Not what you had intended but Microsoft is poised to leap past BlackBerry in the enterprise with their upcoming feature pack:
    http://m.winsupersite.com/windows-ph...s-phone-8-2014

Windows 8 devices already dynamically sync many aspects which makes a pure Windows 8 scenario very appealing.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-13-14 05:21 PM
    Windows 8 shipped with an NSA accessible back door built on. I would imagine their phones have one as well, and that blackberry 10 does not.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 08:24 PM
    Windows 8 shipped with an NSA accessible back door built on. I would imagine their phones have one as well, and that blackberry 10 does not.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry has a history of cooperating with law enforcement agencies so I would assume no phone is safe - just to be on the safe side.

Windows Phones are pretty awesome in their own way.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2228
    03-13-14 09:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    Thank god you're not a train driver given the speed you derailed this thread

03-14-14 02:16 AM